• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT283

Mal_Adjusted

Justified & Ancient
New issue has just arrived, not read yet so going by headlines only:

cover reverts to old style

russian corpse guy
hair cutting
Irish SHC
human strangeness
rainbow pix (aaah)
brain scanning can reveal mental images
brain colour
zombie graveyards
great escapes
blob
cannibalism
miracles and charms
hollywood oddities pt1
1561 UFO
Otherkin
Alex CF collection
Wetzels
Welsh water-leaper
Uncom comix

Turned straight to the Hollywood oddities article and it's interesting but finds nothing to any of the stories. You'd think that after countless hours of filming someone would have found something genuinely inexplicable, but maybe in part 2.

A bit sorry to see such a level headed article repeating the myths that Rosebud was not just the sled and silent movie stars lost their jobs because of their silly voices, Singin' in the Rain has a lot to answer for. Greta Garbo was a far bigger sound star than silent one, and it's often forgotten Buster Keaton's sound comedies were far more popular at the time than his silents.

Thought the writer showed great restraint in not mentioning Thr** M*n *nd * B*by.

Nobody else got theirs, then? Or are you all disgusted that the Shaun Ryder article promised on the cover amounted to one short paragraph in the UFO section?

It often takes two weeks for my copy to arrive in Australia, so I cannae comment on anything!

Mine's been here for a few days but I'm saving it for the gym. :D

In the Sidelines: guy sells kidney for £12,300, buys engagement ring, gets dumped.

You could dine out on all the cannibal tales. In Russia cannibal killers seem to get lenient sentences, around 20 yrs.

Loved the necrolog piece on Robert Ettinger the cryogenics guru.

The Shaun Ryder article was disappointing given the front page ad.

ramonmercado said:
In the Sidelines: guy sells kidney for £12,300, buys engagement ring, gets dumped.

He could buy another kidney for that money! Oh.

gncxx said:
ramonmercado said:

He could take up Highway Robbery and shout "Stand And De-Liver!"

:oops: Sorry...

47Forteans said:
gncxx said:
ramonmercado said:

He could take up Highway Robbery and shout "Stand And De-Liver!"

:oops: Sorry...

Don't apologise - the best I could come up with was based around 'stake yer kidney on a wedding' sounding a bit like 'steak and kidney pudding'.

I didn't even bother taking my coat off.

I still haven't got as far as the editorial in reading this issue.

mind you I seem to have lost interest in a lot of things of late :(

The well-balanced Otherkin article is worth a look to see examples of the increasing preference for unreality over reality in the modern world.

Mine turned up this afternoon.

I really like Hunt Emerson's, Phenomenomix, on the UnCon! :)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Mine turned up this afternoon.

I really like Hunt Emerson's, Phenomenomix, on the UnCon! :)

Looks good but couldn't spot Bob Rickard in it.

:evil:

I have to admit I'm really getting bored with FT now. Every now and again there will be a really good issue but generally I am not the slightest bit interested in most of the articles.

Karl Shuker. That guy has an article and often a book review (either on a book he's written or a review by him about someone else's book!) in basically every issue now. Sorry, I just could not give a crap about some undiscovered new type of zebra, I don't even see WTF is weird about it.
I could handle it in the past because it was in moderation, but nowadays its as if he's taking over every bloody issue.

One other trend I seem to be noticing is articles debunking old cases. This is interesting, but it seems there is a great dearth of genuinely unexplained events and the hole is being filled by explanations of OLD famous cases. The high-strangeness is actually going OUT of the magazine!

On a final moan :lol: the "Otherkin" article. What was that all about? I'm sure I wasn't the only one who got half way into it and thought "bloody weirdos" and skipped to something else. That would have made a decent one page piece, but to spread it over THREE pages? I don't think the mag is as good value as it used to be when this is the quality of article we're getting.

Being a recent convert and subscriber, I am keenly waiting for my copy to arrive!

DiocletianX said:

I have to admit I'm really getting bored with FT now. Every now and again there will be a really good issue but generally I am not the slightest bit interested in most of the articles.

Karl Shuker. That guy has an article and often a book review (either on a book he's written or a review by him about someone else's book!) in basically every issue now. Sorry, I just could not give a crap about some undiscovered new type of zebra, I don't even see WTF is weird about it.
I could handle it in the past because it was in moderation, but nowadays its as if he's taking over every bloody issue.

One other trend I seem to be noticing is articles debunking old cases. This is interesting, but it seems there is a great dearth of genuinely unexplained events and the hole is being filled by explanations of OLD famous cases. The high-strangeness is actually going OUT of the magazine!

On a final moan :lol: the "Otherkin" article. What was that all about? I'm sure I wasn't the only one who got half way into it and thought "bloody weirdos" and skipped to something else. That would have made a decent one page piece, but to spread it over THREE pages? I don't think the mag is as good value as it used to be when this is the quality of article we're getting.

Have to admit I enjoyed the Otherkin piece, not overlong imho. The OK are just like any otherbelievers in oddities like RCs but more fun.

Sometimes there can be too much Karl Shuker but I generally enjoy his stuff. Just clipping some new discoveries today to send in.

DiocletianX said:

I quite agree. I thought the 'Otherkin' was nonsense. Like you say, it could have been an interesting page but three pages about some people who need a reality check?
I too find cryptozoology rather dull.

But then Fortean Times is a broad church and what I find dull the next person will find fascinating I guess.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive in the colonies, before Christmas!

I'm a bit more concerned that it hasn't turned up on Zinio yet. I got an electronic subscription to avoid having to wait until the hard copies made it down here.

Anome_ said:
I'm a bit more concerned that it hasn't turned up on Zinio yet. I got an electronic subscription to avoid having to wait until the hard copies made it down here.

The electrons spin in the opposite direction down under so it takes a while to load em up.

ramonmercado said:
Anome_ said:

The electrons spin in the opposite direction down under so it takes a while to load em up.

Everything spins in the opposite direction down under...

My copy has just arrived! I have set it aside until after the Madness That Is Christmas is finished, and I have had a well deserved sleep-in!

I liked the Sidelines article about the "Bleeding" Statue that turned out only to be paint!

Does anyone know of anymore info on the IHTM letter about the IIRC "Dwarf with attitude"?? It was a short letter, but so interesting, and with a rather nasty outcome.

I'd love to know the actual location of the quarry for a Fortean visit 8)

Cherrybomb, ugh, yes that was extremely creepy. Especially the detail about that student losing her baby.

Reminds me why I shouldn't read FT at night...

Alytha1 said:
Cherrybomb, ugh, yes that was extremely creepy. Especially the detail about that student losing her baby.

Reminds me why I shouldn't read FT at night...

Yeh, it's really stayed with me, I can't stop trying to figure out what it could be. Very creepy :shock:

Back