• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT289

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
Shapeshifters
The Case Against Cryptozoology
Elephant on Mars [?!]
Amelia Earhat
Phone Calls from the Dead
Mexican Mini-Man

And lots more!

I'm saving mine for bedtime :D

*Oh, well, I might just have a little flick through now :p *

Put the magazine DOWN! Step AWAY from the magazine! :lol:

Anyway, where's mine?

Haven't had a chance to read much of it, but the foot yam is hilariously disgusting.

gncxx said:
Haven't had a chance to read much of it, but the foot yam is hilariously disgusting.

Foot yam? Foot yam? What is this foot yam, and do I want one? Can one buy them in the shops?!

DrWhiteface said:
gncxx said:

Foot yam? Foot yam? What is this foot yam, and do I want one? Can one buy them in the shops?!

I think it's one of a kind. As to what it is, it's a yam which looks like a foot. Whether it tastes like a foot is another question.

It not only looks like a foot; it looks like a foot with some foul skin complaint :cross eye

Fluttermoth said:
It not only looks like a foot; it looks like a foot with some foul skin complaint :cross eye

Says you, archly! I am toe-tally interested in seeing this!

I'll toe the line here and say the Amelia Earhart article was really interesting. The thought of her as a doomed Robinson Crusoe figure is really haunting.

Also, good to see the Hi-Ho menace on the tape recorder make it into the mag's IHTM, always liked that story, sort of funny and weird at the same time.

Anyone who has seen Star Trek knows that Earhart was kidnapped by aliens, put into suspended animation and left on a planet on the other side of the galaxy...

oh, hang on, that's fiction, isn't it? I often can't tell the difference! ;)

Disappointing IHTM. One guy freaked out by his TV box updating and another hearing voices in white noise caused by loud speakers (well known phenomenon).

Amelia Earhart story was great, no conclusive evidence yet but interesting.

Liked the Gernsback article.

Saucer Sam was a good story, those old V planes were something else.

Inside Scientology review was a short article i itself, will get the book. The Rough Guide to Life On Other Worlds reviewed by Peter Brookesmith took a bit of a battering but still ended up with an 8.Mathematics in Victorian Britain also sounds worth a read.

Really appreciated the Christopher Logue obit, his column was one of the best when I used to read Private Eye. The clippings were a bonus, too: the story about God getting run over on the way to church is funny, but weirdly poignant for a mystery.

gncxx said:
Really appreciated the Christopher Logue obit, his column was one of the best when I used to read Private Eye. The clippings were a bonus, too: the story about God getting run over on the way to church is funny, but weirdly poignant for a mystery.

The shark with a human skull, (blue?) suede shoes and a Gospel of St John (printed on polythene?!) was truly Fortean. I wonder if the items matched up with any missing person?

I don't think much of this months cover (I know it's meant to represent a person changing shape, but I think it could have been better done...)

I really enjoyed 289. I often go for a couple of months or so wondering why I'm bothering, and then one comes along to remind me. Great stuff.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
My copy has just turned up! :D

Just skimming, at the moment.

Some of us are still waiting for ours to arrive in the mail.

Sigh...

My copy arrived Friday. Thought the Headline about crack being found in the buttocks of a man was the funniest thing I've read all year!

It may have been bottom of the barrell stuff, butt it really cracked me up!

Back