• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT290

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Am I first? Is everyone else watching the football? Special Olympics issue, with the centrepiece written by Barry Baldwin which should please a lot of people!

Anyway, the Mythconceptions question at the end reminded me of that excellent BBC TV Centre documentary recently where a gang of robbers were mistaken for a Michael Bentine sketch. Not Candid Camera, but along those lines.

Nice to see the return of the mad letter from our Singaporean friend. I hope he finds help for his radiation problem.

No not the first, just been busy reading it as it popped through my letterbox today. I too enjoyed the radiating Singaporean !

Bollix!

Sport is a circus that diverts the minds of the masses from the socio-economic and political questions which confront them.

But surely all those athletes and supporters are spending up big while they are there? Just like in Bejing and Athens beforehand?

Oh, right, Athens... :oops:

Nope mine came yesterday too.

It's a shame that most IHTM stories in the mag have been posted here before hand - to be expected though, I guess :(

That's a quality simulacra photo....I wonder who could have taken that?

CarlosTheDJ said:

I forgot to mention that! They must be very proud.

gncxx said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

Don't keep those of us who don't have their copy yet in suspense, what is the simulacra photo of?

47Forteans said:
gncxx said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

Don't keep those of us who don't have their copy yet in suspense, what is the simulacra photo of?

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say.....

I don't have the new issue yet either, but aren't simulacra usually either the face of Jesus or a cock and balls? In which case, a safe bet would be Jesus' cock and balls, wouldn't it?

CarlosTheDJ said:
47Forteans said:
gncxx said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

DJ connection? Image of Jimmy Saville?

CarlosTheDJ said:
47Forteans said:
gncxx said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

Ah, go on then. It is a bloody good one :).

Good issue, this. Lots to take in.

Nearly finished it this afternoon, really enjoyed it again (FT is on a roll at the moment). The Olympics article had its patented BB swearword in the third paragraph, but was highly amusing - there should be more championship trumpeting in the modern games. The apocalypse 2012 column this issue was also amusing in its Olympic way. And the cover is funny too! Laugh-a-long with FT!

stuneville said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
47Forteans said:
gncxx said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

Ah, go on then. It is a bloody good one :).

Good issue, this. Lots to take in.

OK, OK.... it's a simulacra of a calf in a rock face at the foot of Mount Sinai....Golden Calf land.

Mine came last week and I read it all right away, except for the Olympics section, which I can't even face skimming through as I hate sport so much. :lol:

escargot1 said:
Mine came last week and I read it all right away, except for the Olympics section, which I can't even face skimming through as I hate sport so much. :lol:

Give it a go and you might be surprised. If nothing else it'll make you agree with the Euripedes quote at the head of the article.

Euripedes, you say? Hmm... :hmm:

Knock knock!
Who's there?
Euripedes!
Euripedes who?
Euripedes trousers, you pay for dese trousers!

You clearly weren't on the Year 10 camp with me.

It's in Zinio, and all. Downloading it now.

I refuse to download FT! I want the print version in my hands, so I can lie in bed with a pot of tea in easy reach!

I notice that Robin Ramsay has got his wires crossed in Konspiracy Korner this month.

Re: Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash:

"..did not want to blame the helicopter. Criticising Sikorsky is citicising an American company..'

Maybe, but Sikorsky didn't make the Chinook. BOEING did.

Oops.

Hmmm, I hated my school camps away, too, so perhaps there is such a thing as an unhappy camper!

a thumping good issue, lots of really good articles and even the Olympics story was worth reading. Good job FT. :D

Back