• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT291

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Am I the first? Blimey...

Cover: Could UFOs Be Living Creatures? A New Theory of Aerial Phenomena

Strange Days: -

Baltic Seabed Mystery

There's a Coincidence!

Noises Off...

Falling From a Great Height

Classical Corner: High-De-High!

The Fortean Times Random Dictionary of the Damned: Spirit Photos

Forum: Not Quite the Gospel Truth?

Strange and Sensational Stories From The Illustrated Police News: The Hackney Ghost

Mine's here. :D

I'm saving it for after I've cut the hedge.

Strange (er...) IHTM in that the longer letters are sort of OK, but the little snippets that follow are badly wanting more detail. A humming sofa?! A microwave which said "CHILD" on its readout?!

Thought the living UFOs article was disappointing, it seemed as if it had been printed out from a website instead of a proper FT article. That Concorde UFO is well known to be a flaw in the film and not a flying jellyfish, for example. Oh well, they can't all be good.

Besides, living UFOs a new theory? We've had a thread about it for ten years. Arthur Conan-Doyle wrote a story ("The Horror of the Heights") featuring the idea 100 years ago. Ivan Sanderson postulated the idea in "Things" (IIRC) and he's been dead nearly 50 years..

Anyway, got mine yesterday - saving it for a train journey tomorrow morning :).

The ghost-photgraphy article is spot-on. Really enjoyed it. :D

stuneville said:
Besides, living UFOs a new theory? We've had a thread about it for ten years. Arthur Conan-Doyle wrote a story ("The Horror of the Heights") featuring the idea 100 years ago. Ivan Sanderson postulated the idea in "Things" (IIRC) and he's been dead nearly 50 years..

To be fair, it's described as new on the cover, but in the article there's a lot of historical material of various vintages (presented rather indigestibly, unfortunately).

gncxx said:
A microwave which said "CHILD" on its readout?!

I'm assuming it means 'CHILLED'. Hardly as Fortean as having the face Myra Hindley appearing on your fridge.

jimv1 said:
gncxx said:
A microwave which said "CHILD" on its readout?!

I'm assuming it means 'CHILLED'. Hardly as Fortean as having the face Myra Hindley appearing on your fridge.

How could you chill something in a microwave?

Strange Deaths this issue, the second one down: an accumulation of WTF?! details. Eighteen pints of Coca Cola a day?! For over seven years?! And thirty cigarettes a day too?! She was thirty when she died of a caffeine overdose and a mother of eight to boot?! What kind of people are they making in New Zealand?!

You don't chill in a microwave. :roll: It'll be to differentiate between say FROZEN and CHILLED.

Living UFOs article very, very poorly written. I'm surprised it got past the editors. There were some interesting snippets though, including a story of a plane supposedly destroyed by a UFO and another about a Brazilian man who was "digested" by a mysterious white blob. Anyne have any more info on these claims?

Monstrosa said:
You don't chill in a microwave. :roll: It'll be to differentiate between say FROZEN and CHILLED.

My microwave doesn't have a display, but aren't the settings to do with heat more than cold? i.e. it would say DEFROST or HIGH or FULL depending on what you wanted to do with the food?

I wondered about that one, too. Turns out I'd read about the case before:

Thanks for the links. It sounds more as though this poor chap was afflicted with radiation burns rather than being eaten by some sort of high altitute jellyfish.

gncxx said:
jimv1 said:

How could you chill something in a microwave?

You could ask how do you use electricity to heat and use that transferance of heat to freeze, or chill things in a fridge.

Anyway. If you had a super frozen meal...set your microwave on the Frozen setting (probably LED'd on this one as DisNy) or if it's just come out of the supermarket use the settiing for 'chilled'.

A classic case of RTFM.

This is why my dreams of becoming a microwave oven designer came to naught.

More likely it's referring to the microwave's child lock...

It's not the first time I've come across someone interpreting the "child" message on a microwave as something supernatural - there's even a video on YouTube.

NeilE said:
More likely it's referring to the microwave's child lock...

It's not the first time I've come across someone interpreting the "child" message on a microwave as something supernatural - there's even a video on YouTube.

Ah, that makes more sense than a microwave display telling you how cold the food you put into it should be. Thanks. Now for an explanation of the humming sofa!

What is it with the sudden reporting of "cannibal" reporting? Is cannibalism more frequent, or is the media paying more attention to it?

Back