• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT292

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Not had a good look yet, but I'm looking forward to the feature on M.R. James. 8)

Mine arrived just this minute! Looks a good 'un.

Saving it for later..

Got mine too, only read the letters so far, though. Was the crazed teacher account from this forum? It sounded kind of familiar, but maybe mad teachers are much of a muchness.

no,No,NO!!! Just read the film reviews. I was disgusted by the 6/10 for Clone/Womb. i watched this earlier on in the year and it's quite simply one of the worst films I've EVER seen! Awful direction by an utter hack that had me cringing in my seat. Matt Smith is a one-trick pony and Eva Green...sheesh. All those long mournful looks into the distance. I don't think she says more the two words in the second half of the film (small mercy). Oh and the story is abysmal.

And if that wasn't bad enough...2/10 for MST3K:The Movie??? Did the reviewer actually understand the whole point of MST3K? ;"the viewing experience is...ruined by the idiots...who won't stop talking".

What happened FT? You used to be cool! :)

To be fair MST3K: The Movie is pretty bad, not a patch on the better TV episodes.

7/10 for The Raven? Really? I have a fairly high watermark for tut, cinematically and I appreciate everyone's opinion differs but that did somewhat surprise me. It has one thing going for it, it looks good, but it is the movie equivilant of the best date you ever had with an incredibly attractive person, but at the denouement of the evening, said person pulls off a full face mask and it's revealed as your mum.

If you lined up an infinite number of top of the range Dyson vacuum cleaners, that combined suckage would still be less than the suckage delivered by the ending of this movie.

Good to read a new angle on M.R. James which fit in with the FT, very interesting. Also good to hear from James expert Ramsey Campbell.

Some great IHTM's. Daniel's death is a cracker. The witch teacher story rang a bell with me too, gncxx.

Interesting to see The Long Man of Wilmington has a Russian twin! Albeit a smaller, more stony-faced one. Can't think of a reason for it, though.

The IHTM story about the teenager Daniel's death reminds me of the tale in one of the IHTM books about the bully girl with the purple hair, one of my favourites.

gncxx said:
Got mine too, only read the letters so far, though. Was the crazed teacher account from this forum? It sounded kind of familiar, but maybe mad teachers are much of a muchness.

Mad teachers are the only ones I remember from school...

Resurrecting this thread as I saw Robert Lloyd Parry perform The Ash Tree and Oh Whistle... on Friday at the Leper Chapel in Cambridge. Quite frankly one of the best performances of anything I have ever seen in my life. I can't praise it highly enough.

Go to www.nunkie.co.uk , see where he's performing and go see him! Exceptional stuff from a very talented man. Just astonishingly good.

File under coincidence but...

Having read the MR James feature I thought I'd call into the English language bookstore, which is somewhat large but also limited, to see if there was a chance I could pick up a collated collection of stories, walked in, stopped to browse the 'SALE' table before heading for the "Fiction - J" section and what was sat there half price...?

Back