• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT295

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just dropped through the door.

Steampunk
Weird Weather
Hexham Heads.

I notice the 'Hexam Heads' article is correctly attributed this month ;)

Mine arrived too, I've just been leafing through it. The Hull Daily Mail is a fount of Fortean headlines, isn't it? The jar of moles: bleuch.

gncxx said:
Mine arrived too, I've just been leafing through it. The Hull Daily Mail is a fount of Fortean headlines, isn't it? The jar of moles: bleuch.

Jar of moles? What kind of moles? Where does one obtain a jar of moles?!

I'm confused by the ghost watch section which refers readers to back issues of the 'Fortran Times'.
Why there are ghosts in a coding magazine I don't know.

liveinabin1 said:
I'm confused by the ghost watch section which refers readers to back issues of the 'Fortran Times'.
Why there are ghosts in a coding magazine I don't know.

Bloody spell-checker I'll bet. You just hit on it. It once corrected someones name to Carrion Crow in minutes I was preparing, I accepted the change without really looking and the minutes went out...

This is the issue isn't it. Tight deadlines and casting the eye over quickly looking for the red line.
Has to be said though that getting the name of the publication wrong is quite special.

One would have thought Steampunk was a little passé by now

James_H2 said:
One would have thought Steampunk was a little passé by now

But it does give me the excuse to recommend yet again The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. Fantastic novel.

Bit disappointed the second part of the Hexham Heads article didn't have much in the way of werewolf action, but it was interesting all the same.

Really intriguing theory about the sphere of influence of UFOs by Jenny Randles which could apply to all sorts of strangeness.

The catfish getting into the house story sounds like it should have a reasonable explanation, then you can't think of one. Swam up the kitchen plughole?

Still making my way through mine...

A bit purturbed by the article on alien sex in the next issue, mind, hopefully that won't be a cover feature - we don't need any more postal embarrassments :(

I have to say I've been won round to Kenneth Anger, and Aleister Crowley. The latter's quote about drugs and reality was wonderful. As a result I've gone off searching the net for nuggets about them and found them not as unpleasant/monstrous as I'd previously believed.
The Hexham Heads sort of ended with a slight whimper, but the Paul Screeton interview was nice.

tonylovell said:
I have to say I've been won round to Kenneth Anger, and Aleister Crowley. The latter's quote about drugs and reality was wonderful. As a result I've gone off searching the net for nuggets about them and found them not as unpleasant/monstrous as I'd previously believed.
The Hexham Heads sort of ended with a slight whimper, but the Paul Screeton interview was nice.
Anger's Hollywood Babylon. is well worth seeking out. Scurrilous stuff. Just don't believe a word of it.

I hadn't realised just how big a joker Crowley was, until I discovered that he'd borrowed his famous saying, 'Do what thou wilt' and the name of his branch of Magick, 'Thelema', from the outrageous French writer, Christian humanist and satirist, Rabelais.

Of course, Crowley and Rabelais, are chalk and cheese, as far as their means and ends are concerned. ;)

WhistlingJack said:
I notice the 'Hexam Heads' article is correctly attributed this month ;)
Oi!

Only got mine this morning, had a quick dekko, saving it for a happy afternoon to myself tomorrow :).

A steampunk issue #295. Hurrah! :lol:

Just turned up. Will have to wait until I've finished work.

ramonmercado said:
TWO copies of 295 arrived yesterday. Still no sign of 294.

Seriously, if you can, phone them up and explain the situation, that'll get it sorted quick. Or you could try e-mail, but I'm not so sure about that.

ramonmercado said:
Yes, I seem to have not got 294, either :/

I think I see not one but two former FTMB posters in the ITHM this month.

gncxx said:
ramonmercado said:

Seriously, if you can, phone them up and explain the situation, that'll get it sorted quick. Or you could try e-mail, but I'm not so sure about that.

I'll try emailing, I fear the costs of a phone call.

A double blessing of FT? (Even if it's the same copy, read one, keep one for "special")

ramonmercado said:
47Forteans said:
A double blessing of FT? (Even if it's the same copy, read one, keep one for "special")

I gave one to a friend.

Was said friend already a Fortean, or were you trying to convert them to our ways?

47Forteans said:
ramonmercado said:
47Forteans said:

I gave one to a friend.

Was said friend already a Fortean, or were you trying to convert them to our ways?

An attempt at conversion. Hes into SF, Horror etc,

They're sometimes the hardest to persuade! Seriously, often they have a cardinal mindset that doesn't mesh well with the more mutable aspects of Forteanism.

Anyway, you can be surprised. An old (worked together for years) chum came up to me the other week to ask how to subscribe, and he was the last person I'd have expected. He'd picked up a copy at John Menzies in Edinburgh on the way back to Bristol, got hooked, logged on, saw my name and then asked if it was really me!

Still, let them come to you. Not sure how Charles Fort would have reacted to proselytisation ;).

stuneville said:
They're sometimes the hardest to persuade! Seriously, often they have a cardinal mindset that doesn't mesh well with the more mutable aspects of Forteanism.

Anyway, you can be surprised. An old (worked together for years) chum came up to me the other week to ask how to subscribe, and he was the last person I'd have expected. He'd picked up a copy at John Menzies in Edinburgh on the way back to Bristol, got hooked, logged on, saw my name and then asked if it was really me!

Still, let them come to you. Not sure how Charles Fort would have reacted to proselytisation ;).

I might set up a soapbox and preach the Gospel of Fort. I am his Vicar on Earth.

One of my highlights in the magazine is the IHTM section. So when I saw that there were two pages for this section in the current issue, I was overjoyed. This very quickly turned to disappointment when I realized that more than one page was taken up by one letter. I like to think of IHTM as short, sweet and sticky. Give me the relevant facts, give me the mystery and I'll slurp it up. So one letter, longer than a page was going to have to be spectacular to impress me.

So I started to read..... Usually the LA basin has two seasons .... day and night :wtf: What's this got to do with IHTM? Never mind, lets carry on
A collection of Hollywood faces were hanging out at the outdoor patio .... Marlon Brando and Joan Collins" Oh goodie, an IHTM with famous names! This IS going to be good, and worth struggling through. Persist, I said.
Dennis Hopper was just back from acting in a New York TV show Hang on a mo. What happened to Joan Collins. Doesn't the IHTM involve her and Brando, or was that just someone name dropping. So what did this Dennis Hopper do then? He was unusually subdued. "What's with you?" At last, the juicy story starts, I thought. Aw man, something so weird happened back in New York. I don't want to talk about it" WHAT! Talk about a non event.

The letter then goes on to talk about the author and Dennis. Dennis bonked a lot, They drove fast to the beach, there was a fat woman who sang and lived nearby. It continued in the trashy 1950's dime novel style until I gave up and stopped reading.

Really FT, over a page of this rubbish! What has the author have on you? A gun to your heads? Knowledge of a naughty past. If IHTM is "First hand accounts from FT readers and browsers of FT.com" is the author either. If they get the privilege to spew more than a page of rubbish, can I send you some of my name dropping rubbish about driving fast, bonking a lot and smoking weed?
Please say I can, I'm writing it as we speak :roll:

I found the long letter interesting but I realise I could well be in a minority.

Back