• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT299

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Well lucky old me had this brought to me in bed by the other half this morning!

Liverpool Leprechauns,
Electronic Crop Circles
Cumbrian Weresheep
New Bermuda Triangle
Is Elvis still alive?
'R' Marks the Spot.

On the subject of the woman who found Dick the III by having an attack of the vapours while stood on a letter R, I think that the R stands for restricted. If you look at the picture of the car park you will see that a car further along is struggling to fit into a regular sized space. The space marked with R is smaller and on a bend.

Mine arrived today, haven't read any of it yet but I had a flick through (alarming horror squirrel pic!) and the leprechaun article looks terrific. Also looking forward to the Elvis one - he must be dead by now, surely?

It would be interesting to see if you can get any odds on Elvis still being alive.

I had hopes for the Elvis article too, but it was a bit of something a nothing. It could have been a longer item, over a couple of issues. One with 'sightings' and next issue with the whole thing with 'Jesse'. I would have like to have heard more about 'Jesse' but there was very little info really.

The Elvis article was fine, but didn't add much more than the previous one did (can't believe how long ago that was!), so was probably best as a primer or refresher. The question remains, who is the Jesse in that photograph if he's not Presley (and he probably isn't)?

gncxx said:
The Elvis article was fine, but didn't add much more than the previous one did (can't believe how long ago that was!), so was probably best as a primer or refresher. The question remains, who is the Jesse in that photograph if he's not Presley (and he probably isn't)?

And here is my problem with FT. There is a certain amount of assumed knowledge. I understand that there should be some assumed knowledge but I have found that many FT articles have been closed to me because I just don't know about something.
Take Jesse in the Elvis article. All the item seemed to say about him was that he was a dead twin, who's twin? The only other thing was that a psychologist said she knew who he was. Now to people who know a lot about the story of Elvis will know who this was and what it means, but I don't. And because of this I didn't get much out of the article because I was left with a lot of un answered question. A box out with a time line, almost a glossary would be useful for a lot of items.

But maybe its just me.

Some campers have more fun than others! :lol:

(Apologies to any non-Brits who may find the above link incomprehensible.
We can't help our sophisticated sense of humour. ;) )

escargot1 said:
Some campers have more fun than others! :lol:

(Apologies to any non-Brits who may find the above link incomprehensible.
We can't help our sophisticated sense of humour. ;) )

Knowing they filmed that on a freezing cold day says a lot about Great British pluck, too.

Was the lack of Mythconceptions this issue the reason the ghosts section regurgitated the ancient urban myth about the woman whose husband goes for petrol leaving her alone in the car then the police arrive and tell her to get out of the car and don't look back and... well, you know the one?

gncxx said:
Was the lack of Mythconceptions this issue the reason the ghosts section regurgitated the ancient urban myth about the woman whose husband goes for petrol leaving her alone in the car then the police arrive and tell her to get out of the car and don't look back and... well, you know the one?

I didn't even notice the absence of Mythconceptions this month. Odd, because it's one of my favourite items. Perhaps there are no more myths left to dispel. I hope that's not the case.

I found the Elvis article unexpectedly fascinating. Generally, I couldn't give a sasquatch's hairy behind whether people think the King is alive. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how much ambiguity seemed present in this particular discussion, and how important the questions of personal belief and emotional need were to the story.

Also, I've just read a letter on page 69 by Rose Titus, in which she mentions her cat which could say "Now" and "Wow! Wow! Wow!" Our cat, Cracker, died last year. He seemed fascinated by nocturnal aviforms, as he would frequently sit on the windowsill at night saying, "Owl! Owl!" It seems cats are a loquacious bunch. I'd also like to second Rose's call for more cute animals (from Outer Space or otherwise) in Fortean Times. There was a time when virtually every issue had at least one page I could pass to my girlfriend to elicit "Awwww!"s. Now, whenever she catches me reading a fresh issue, and asks, "Are there any cuties?", my answer is invariably, "Not this month." :(

This ish's horror squirrel not good enough for you, huh?

gncxx said:

It didn't quite cut it, no. Call me picky, but when I turned that particular page, the response was more, "AAAAAH!", than "Awwwww!" Close, but not quite close enough.

PaulTaylor said:
gncxx said:

It didn't quite cut it, no. Call me picky, but when I turned that particular page, the response was more, "AAAAAH!", than "Awwwww!" Close, but not quite close enough.

I found that picture to be mildly amusing! (And a damn sight more amusing that most of the rubbish on telly at the moment!)

47Forteans said:
(And a damn sight more amusing that most of the rubbish on telly at the moment!)

We can't set the bar that low, now, 47Forteans. The scary squirrel was good, though. It's just he lacked the cute factor.

PaulTaylor said:
47Forteans said:
(And a damn sight more amusing that most of the rubbish on telly at the moment!)

We can't set the bar that low, now, 47Forteans. The scary squirrel was good, though. It's just he lacked the cute factor.

The bar for what's on tv at the moment couldn't be set any lower. Most of what's on involves weight loss/renovations/cooking/"talent" quests/boring people desperate for five minutes of fame sitting around in a house programmes. A squirrel (scary or otherwise) on tv would be an improvement!

Hmmm, should that be in the Whinge thread?

(Yes!)

DrWhiteface said:
A squirrel (scary or otherwise) on tv would be an improvement!

Hmmm, should that be in the Whinge thread?

(Yes!)

No! You need to make a "Things we need on TV (instead of the rubbish that is)" thread. ;) I can't wait for David Attenborough's Scary Squirrels in HD.

hats off to guy lyon playfair ... always thought he was an interesting character its clear he has a real gift for writing even from such a short and frivolous piece ... i might go track down a few of his books

Back