• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT300

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just about to run my bath when it dropped through the door.

Title is Apocolypse Not - what happened when the world didn't end.
Also:
Spontaneous Human Combustion
Bearded Lady Burial
Indiana Bird Monster.

Right, must run as the bath is about to run over.

I was hoping for some kind of 300th Issue Anniversary feature, with reprints of bits from early editions through the decades, and short sidebars from the authors reappraising their opinions from days gone by or validating their beliefs based on new evidence. Each decade's pages designed in the style of that eon...

I'm a sucker for those kind of issues.

Mine had arrived by the time I left for work. So far, I'm not disappointed. 8)

I've only flicked through mine so far, but it looks pretty good. That over-hyped apocalypse stuff really left us all at a loose end. Good to see Mythconceptions in this issue. Once again, very little in the way of cute animals. Apart from some knotted squirrels. What's with the cynophilia in the last few issues?

This is true. Have eaten more than half the front page though.

No sign of mine yet...I suspect it's stuck in a snowdrift somewhere!

Just read the Apocalypse Not articles, excellent stuff, amusing and despairing when you find out that the doomsayers have already lined up some new dates. You'd like to think that once it was proved to be nonsense at least some of them would accept they were wrong, but they just shift the goalposts.

If only they didn't capture the popular imagination so much, it only encourages them. Though I wouldn't put the blame solely on the New Agers as the articles tend to do, the Christians were at it longer.

I am disapointed this issue doesn't celebrate the previous issues, although there is hope the fortieth anniversay does that. Take note editors - we want special issues for the important celebrations in Forteana!

47Forteans said:
I am disapointed this issue doesn't celebrate the previous issues, although there is hope the fortieth anniversay does that. Take note editors - we want special issues for the important celebrations in Forteana!

Quite, it could have been in three sections: issues 1 to 100 and so on. A feature about the stories covered or something.

We thought we'd put off blowing our own trumpets until the 40th anniversary as doing so twice in one year might be a bit much.

The Apocalypse Not articles were a fine way to mark the 300th issue, you have to look forward as well as back.

I hope the forum piece about celebrity Fortean encounters squirreled away in autobiographies yields some letters, that section was looking a bit bare this ish, with most of the second page too caught up with, er, whatever that bloke was going on about in his missive.

The picture of the... *ahem* ..."device" on page 52 took me by surprise (as it were :?). Looks painful for the wearer, let alone anyone trying to "gain entry", so to speak... :shock:
Sorry, I've lowered the tone now... :p

Dr_David_Sutton said:
We thought we'd put off blowing our own trumpets until the 40th anniversary as doing so twice in one year might be a bit much.

Too much of a good thing is never enough! ;) :yeay:

Zoffre said:
The picture of the... *ahem* ..."device" on page 52 took me by surprise (as it were :?). Looks painful for the wearer, let alone anyone trying to "gain entry", so to speak... :shock:
Sorry, I've lowered the tone now... :p

Made to make your eyes water, as they say...

Quite a good issue overall. I gave up on the forum piece about the Peekskill meteor though, sorry that was just nonsense. :roll:

Just to take minor issue with the science column, Frankenweenie isn't about how science isn't to be trusted, quite the opposite, it's more about how ignorance isn't to be trusted, especially when combined with science it doesn't understand.

Meteor story

DiocletianX said:
Quite a good issue overall. I gave up on the forum piece about the Peekskill meteor though, sorry that was just nonsense. :roll:

Don't give up. Read the article slowly and carefully. It's worth the effort because it's the real thing. All the rest of ufology is nonsense. Truly now. 8)

gncxx said:
I hope the forum piece about celebrity Fortean encounters squirreled away in autobiographies yields some letters, that section was looking a bit bare this ish, with most of the second page too caught up with, er, whatever that bloke was going on about in his missive.

I noticed years ago bios/autobios often have a Fortean snippet or anecdote. I'm not the letter writing type, though I would contribute to a thread on the subject.

is richard stanley rather a large case of the pot calling the kettle black or what ?

If I have to read one more article about mediums and ectoplasm :headbutt:

marionXXX said:
gncxx said:

I noticed years ago bios/autobios often have a Fortean snippet or anecdote. I'm not the letter writing type, though I would contribute to a thread on the subject.

We used to have a thread on just that very subject - don't ask me where it is, though... :?

WhistlingJack said:
marionXXX said:
gncxx said:

We used to have a thread on just that very subject - don't ask me where it is, though... :?

Maybe someone who cares can dig it out.

I genuinely can't find it :?

I've a feeling it wasn't in 'Chat' and so shouldn't have fallen victim to an auto-purge.

I also agree there has been way too much about dogs recently.

I'm pretty sure there were a celebs and UFOs thread and a ghosts of famous people thread, but not so sure there was a general celeb spookiness thread.

gncxx said:
I'm pretty sure there were a celebs and UFOs thread and a ghosts of famous people thread, but not so sure there was a general celeb spookiness thread.
Celebs and Saucers:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1132351#1132351

Celebrity Ghost Stories:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1030411#1030411

Celebrity Ghosts:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39160&highlight=celeb2a

Celebrity, 'it should have been me':
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46048&highlight=celeb2a

Two examples of fortean bios/autobios/interviews anecdotes :

I know that Casanova had reported in his memoirs a strange UFO-like encounter. Years before he became famouns, during the night from 31 August to 1 September 1743 (he was only 18 years long and was planning an ecclesiastic career), he was travelling to Roma by foot. After he had bypassed Castel Nuovo (app. 20 km to the north), he was followed by a small pyramid-shaped that played cat and mouse with him for a few hours, and left him only at dawn (around 6 am).

Another example I found very recently : in this month's issue of French magazine dedicated to Japanese anime and manga Animeland, famous mangaka Gô Nagai explains that one of the motives that led him to create anime Ufo Robot Grendizer, also known as Goldorak, Goldrake or Atlas UFO Robot, was his own sighting of a flying saucer when he was a child.

Back