• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT301

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Peter Cushing!
Whitstable!

Haven't even opened it yet as we are in the middle of moving house and I haven't had a chance.

Let's hope there aren't any more Elvis stories - two in the past ten years is about all I can take!

Time to give credit to the cover illustrators for making the FT stand out among the other mags out there. I thought the caricature of Peter Cushing was a really good sketch in contrast to more polished images.

And it was nice to see some further exploration of Tandy's infrasound discovery.

47Forteans said:
Let's hope there aren't any more Elvis stories - two in the past ten years is about all I can take!

Hear! Hear! But now an Elvis impersonator has (allegedly) sent Ricin to Obana so there will likely be an Elvis story in the next issue.

Phenomenomix

I can't help but notice that Phenomenomix is absent from this Month's issue - anyone know why Emerson's comic isn't there?

Re: Phenomenomix

Hotsauce said:
I can't help but notice that Phenomenomix is absent from this Month's issue - anyone know why Emerson's comic isn't there?

He drew the short straw.

Please tell me there if is a dog article this month? I may not buy it if there is.

No, no dog articles :)

There are couple of mentions of dogs, but no more than a paragraph or two.

Perhaps it's time to start reaching out to the cat lover demographic?

Epic cat journeys, cat hauntings, mummified cats, ABC sightings, cats saving their owners' lives, cats eating their owners, etc.?

Re: Phenomenomix

Hotsauce said:

I'm pretty glad it's not in this month, I think Phenomenomix is absolute garbage. It's the only bit of the mag that I actually skip.

Shame there's no Tales From the Vault this issue though.

There's no tales from the back issues either, so I suspect this is the year's bonus issue therefore no Phenomenonix, though Mr Emerson still illustrates the Mythconceptions article.

Nice to read an article about one of my favourite actors, but would it be ungrateful to suggest it was better suited to Empire or some other film mag? I haven't read it yet, so may change my mind.

Also, while I like the gist of the editorial about finding your own way through life, be it spiritual or cosmic or whatever, the fact remains Bill Roache's comments about child abuse victims were pretty stupid and uneducated, so I don't think making excuses for him is all that helpful.

The fake bomb-detector bloke has today been found guilty of fraud. Heard this on t'wireless just after I read about him in t'mag! :shock:

He sold lots to Iraq, with the help of bribery. Nobody knows how many people might have been maimed or killed because of the false sense of security that his gadget promoted.

escargot1 said:

He sold lots to Iraq, with the help of bribery. Nobody knows how many people might have been maimed or killed because of the false sense of security that his gadget promoted.
There was the false sense of security and also the waving of the thing about as an excuse not to look into the boot of a possibly booby trapped vehicle, or risk a gun battle by taking too much interest in the vehicle's contents. Apparently, Iraqi police and security were onto the general uselessness of the fake detectors, but they used them anyway. Going through the motions, to avoid doing an actual, possibly life threatening, search.

Just read the Cushing article, a nice tribute, though I thought they might have mentioned how Christopher Lee observed Cushing's wife was a pretty strange person and very possessive of her husband. Also, he would have flings with other women but be so wracked with guilt that he would break them off and confess all to Helen, welcomed back with open arms!

Worth it for the Whitstable article and the pic of the giant crab, which I don't think I've seen before - is it still on Google, I wonder? The belief article right after was tying itself in knots, mind you.

gncxx said:
Worth it for the Whitstable article and the pic of the giant crab, which I don't think I've seen before - is it still on Google, I wonder? The belief article right after was tying itself in knots, mind you.

The Giant Google Crab was a manufactured artefact, like the rest of the images in the feature, wasn't it?

I thought when the Giant Fox had an FT reference the rest might have been catalogued elsewhere too, but I just checked the reference and it doesn't mention any foxes on that page at all, it's just the editorial about the Icelandic volcano. Even a nice urban myth would have been better.

Damn - there IS a genuine back ref to the giant fox, but we obviously somehow got it wrong! If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be very grateful!

My faith in you is restored! But I'm not sure where the giant fox is mentioned, I'm afraid.

Also, I didn't know Lyndon B. Johnson was a Satanist.

BTW, Hunt is out of action for a couple of issues due to a dodgy wrist (must be all that cartooning) but will hopefully be back in action for FT303.

Dr_David_Sutton said:
BTW, Hunt is out of action for a couple of issues due to a dodgy wrist (must be all that cartooning) but will hopefully be back in action for FT303.

Aww, that's a shame. Hope his hand recovers soon - I wanna buy some more 'toons!

I'm thoroughly enjoying this issue. The Peter Cushing and Whitstable articles are great (I also used to be a fan as a youngster), even if not all hardcore Fortean. Pity they don't touch on Cushing's passion for collection British comics. Really like the Whitstable illustrations, although do miss Phenomenomix, hope the wrist gets better, soon.

More interesting pet saves owner and fellow pets articles, which I rather enjoy. Interesting off the wall stuff from Jenny Randles. Still reading it, too.

Dr_David_Sutton said:

Or too much supping ale? :_pished:

Back