• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT301

Dodgy wrist, eh.

May I be the first to say fffnnnnaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr? :lol:

Rather dull edition, this. After reading the Peter Cushing article, I thought "Yes, well? Is that it?", nothing that struck my mind as being Fortean, other than being in Hammer films (which had been covered by an earlier mag), so there was nothing new to add. It was just a plug for the book, really.

Let's hope the next issue is more interesting! (And I'd been looking forward to issue 300 being a special issue, but that was rather run of the mill as well.)

I'm also "Why so much about Peter Cushing?"

The Sikorski Mystery - what's so mysterious about it? The big rock of Gibraltar makes flying very difficult, it makes for odd cross winds. To this day Sleazy Jet will only use ex-RAF pilots to do the Gib route, after one nearly crashed. Not much of a guess.

But it was the phonecall BEFORE the crash that made the story otherwise it would certainly be a tired overworked pilot on a difficult runway.
far to much Peter cushing imo, this issue has been the weakest i can remember, i still have the last few pages to go so hopefully it picks up

47Forteans said:
Rather dull edition, this. After reading the Peter Cushing article, I thought "Yes, well? Is that it?", nothing that struck my mind as being Fortean, other than being in Hammer films (which had been covered by an earlier mag), so there was nothing new to add. It was just a plug for the book, really.

Let's hope the next issue is more interesting! (And I'd been looking forward to issue 300 being a special issue, but that was rather run of the mill as well.)

Exactly this.

liveinabin1 said:
47Forteans said:

Exactly this.

Hear! Hear!

The last two issues were dull, dull, dull! Below the usual high standards I expect from FT, but then not every issue can be brilliant, I guess...

I thought the same - lots of old news and samey pieces- things are really tight right now and I think I'll be giving the mag a miss in future.

I wouldn't give the mag a miss - any issue missed would be the most brilliant issue ever published and talked about for years...

I could buy a month's worth of eggs from Aldi with the money, and honestly the summer edition of Northern Earth magazine is actually way more interesting and much cheaper!

One thing that bothered me about this issue: in the Fortean Traveller article there's a mention that his guides took a photo of the mysterious elephants...but the picture wasn't included in the article! Why on earth not? It would have been great for the article so it was such a shame it didn't feature.

I always leave the Fortean Traveller until last. I keep thinking "They put in this dullness and leave out Heirophant?"

I found the Cushing article to be most pathetic. It gave additional flesh to my conception of the man. He appeared to have been a true gentleman and a gentle man.
The rest of the Whitstable stuff was rather poor.

DrWhiteface said:
I always leave the Fortean Traveller until last. I keep thinking "They put in this dullness and leave out Heirophant?"

I'll admit, a lot of the time Fortean Traveller does just seem to be rich people bragging about their holidays, but often you do get some good stuff in there. The Gobekli Tepe article springs to mind. A few years ago I went off the Liverpool and on the way back made a detour to Hale because of a Fortean Traveller article!

Monstrosa said:
The rest of the Whitstable stuff was rather poor.

Yeh, not a fan of that. There is enough hoaxers and rubbish out there without FT giving space to someone self-promoting their art, even if it does have a Fortean bent to it. Bit too many articles recently that have finished with - "...oh yes, and please buy my book!"

As a catalogue of Forteana having published seemingly to the casual eye as fact doctored pictures of a giant crab, sea serpent attacking a sea-fort and an ice mountain is entering pretty dodgy territory for me.

Re: Phenomenomix

Urvogel said:
Hotsauce said:
I can't help but notice that Phenomenomix is absent from this Month's issue - anyone know why Emerson's comic isn't there?

I'm pretty glad it's not in this month, I think Phenomenomix is absolute garbage. It's the only bit of the mag that I actually skip.

It takes all sorts I suppose. Phenomenomix is always the first bit I read.

Re: Phenomenomix

Steve1 said:
Urvogel said:
Hotsauce said:
I can't help but notice that Phenomenomix is absent from this Month's issue - anyone know why Emerson's comic isn't there?

I'm pretty glad it's not in this month, I think Phenomenomix is absolute garbage. It's the only bit of the mag that I actually skip.

It takes all sorts I suppose. Phenomenomix is always the first bit I read.
Phenomenomix is back in the latest issue (FT: 303).

I think it adds the finishing touch to the FT. Like the cherry on the cake. :)

Back