• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT302

NeilE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Mine arrived yesterday (bent in half with an elastic band around it,, for some reason). The Witch of Scrapfaggot Green article has been delayed, so this month's cover star is the one and only Helena Blavatsky!

Mine arrived on Thursday. I've only just got around to posting about it here.
I do seem to get mine ahead of other people. Am I in a hole in time?

Mine arrived today, up until recently they used to arrive on Fridays, now it's Mondays. Haven't had a chance to examine it yet, though I was surprised to be greeted by a collection of male crotches on turning to the editorial page.

gncxx said:
Mine arrived today, up until recently they used to arrive on Fridays, now it's Mondays. Haven't had a chance to examine it yet, though I was surprised to be greeted by a collection of male crotches on turning to the editorial page.

Well, editorials tend to be a load of balls anyway...

Mine arrived last week and I read it all immediately. :D

gncxx said:

It was a rather pleasant surprise for me :D :oops:

Is this issue actually worth reading, unlike the last two issues?

Dr_David_Sutton said:
No, it's shit. I wouldn't bother. Go and buy some eggs instead.

Well, I think there's some stuff worth reading in it...

• Strange News:-

The Missing Lynx
    Desert Highland Discs
    Science: Tetrachromats
    TED: Ideas Worth Suppressing?
    Saved by Monkeys
    Necrolog: James Herbert; Prince Roy of Sealand

Diana's Damned Dresses

The Fortean Times Random Dictionary of the Damned: Animal Mutilations

Forum: Boston Bombing Conspiracies

The Reverend's Review: Scanners trilogy

Strange and Sensational Stories From The Illustrated Police News: Miss Vint and Her Reincarnated Cats

WhistlingJack said:
Dr_David_Sutton said:

Well, I think there's some stuff worth reading in it...

• Strange News:-

The Missing Lynx
    Desert Highland Discs
    Science: Tetrachromats
    TED: Ideas Worth Suppressing?
    Saved by Monkeys
    Necrolog: James Herbert; Prince Roy of Sealand

Diana's Damned Dresses

The Fortean Times Random Dictionary of the Damned: Animal Mutilations

Forum: Boston Bombing Conspiracies

The Reverend's Review: Scanners trilogy

Strange and Sensational Stories From The Illustrated Police News: Miss Vint and Her Reincarnated Cats

Hear, hear!

The Atacama Humanoid stuff is fascinating (I know there's a separate thread) and I'm surprised there hasn't been more mainstream coverage of the frankly astonishing conclusion that a 6 inch human lived to the age of 6 or 8 in a pre-industrial society.

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Only kidding - it's a great issue.

But we thought the last two were, as well!

Issue 301 was one of the rare issues that didn't interest me that much, and I had thought that issue 300 would be a special issue, rather than an ordinary one...

Can someone go to that field near Birmingham Airport and knock on the door in the tree? Just to see if it opens. Looking at it, presumably it does so to the inside, which wouldn't leave a lot of room inside unless the door leads to a staircase.

Talking of wood, I had to laugh at the Norwegian bloke who was so entranced with the log burning broadcast that he accidentally threw a log onto the fire on the TV instead of his own hearth, thus smashing his screen.

Dr_David_Sutton said:

I'd rather buy eggs and have FT! Even a less-than-exciting issue is a damn sight better than the usual dross served up by the glossy gossip mags/"reality" tv programmes - give me something intelligent like FT any day...

DrWhiteface said:
Dr_David_Sutton said:

I'd rather buy eggs and have FT! Even a less-than-exciting issue is a damn sight better than the usual dross served up by the glossy gossip mags/"reality" tv programmes - give me something intelligent like FT any day...
Eggsactly! What else is there out there? There's nothing else quite like it.

... ... ... ... ...

I'm still reading this one. But, good letter, from Kevin Henderson, about the late Jim Moseley, ufologist, observer and chronicler of the UFO scene, redressing the balance after the recent obituary in FT297. I remember thinking that the original obit. seemed strangely uneven and rather grudging, when I read it.

DrWhiteface said:
Dr_David_Sutton said:

Creme Eggs n Fortean times for me please

Konspiracy Korner is as quietly informative, as ever. Particularly about Arch-Bairite D.Miliband's new 'charity' job, over the pond. 8)

It may after all be just a fault in the printing of my own particular copy, but does anyone else have a wraith/BVM/Jesus Christ/Osama Bin Laden etc etc ad bloody infinitum emerging from the chimney of the house in the lower photograph of those fantastic lenticular clouds over the Sound of Iona?

titch4 said:
DrWhiteface said:
Dr_David_Sutton said:

Creme Eggs n Fortean times for me please

Actually, that does sound good...

Came home from a rather terrifying day at work (nothing unusual at that!) to find my copy waiting for me. I must say, with all the hype, the display of male crotches was not what I was expecting!

This issue of FT has returned to its usual high standards...

Finally finished reading my copy. Was a pretty enjoyable read. Some good IHTM, an informative piece on animal mutilations and I loved the reincarnated cat story. The Illustrated Police News is rapidly becoming one of my favourite parts of the mag!

I did think the articles were a little weak though. Some guy arguing that Madam Blavatsky was just a sweet little old bullied lady who totally wasn’t racist at all (honest honest), the cursed Diana dresses was really clutching at straws (I think people lost money not because of cursed items of fabric but because they were involved in dodgy financial transactions) and the firestarter article didn’t have much meat in it (“I talked to a family, they seemed legit, ergo djinni”).

I’m a bit concerned about the preview for next month. Sex ghosts? :shock:

Quake42 said:
The Atacama Humanoid stuff is fascinating (I know there's a separate thread) and I'm surprised there hasn't been more mainstream coverage of the frankly astonishing conclusion that a 6 inch human lived to the age of 6 or 8 in a pre-industrial society.

My bullshit detector went off on that. It seems very, very implausible, and the lack of mainstream coverage to go with it...

I liked the Blavatsky article but she waas a strange 'un.

Interesting book reviews, the Roy Palmer bio sounds intriguing, probably get it in pb. The Dracula book is another one for the list.

Nice round up / analysis of Boston Bombing conspiracies.

Animal mutilation story certainly dispels a few myths. It doesn't explain away, it explains. Maybe the Real HA is back.

Good stuff in Strange Days love this sentence: It was sighted by a Dutchman atop a hired elephant.

I loved the HA's animal mutilations article, until I got to the line about 'perverts and deviants and pagans of various stripes, who found, and find, entertainment in hacking at dead animals'

It's not often I get offended, especially about religion, but I do have to wonder whether the Hierophant's Apprentice genuinely believes that hurting a living creature is in any way a pagan thing. I would argue it's about as far from average pagan behaviour as you could get. Yes, every faith our belief has its nutters, but the language used paints a very broad stripe across pagans in general, and leaves a sour taste.

Anyway, I felt the point worth raising, but it won't spoil my enjoyment of an otherwise pretty decent issue ;)

IHTM - vicky holt has got to be the most haunted person in manchester ... im wondering if i perhaps went to school with her ...

Back