• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT304

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just arrived here at Bin Towers.

I shall withdraw to the garden with a g and t.

I'm sure I only just finished the last one, FT that is, not g and t. I'm only half way through one of those.

Yes, mine arrived, I hope to tackle it tomorrow. One thing that has made me absolutely livid is the Crook Frightfulness article was delayed till next issue! Well, I'm not livid really, but I was looking forward to it.

Mine arrived this morning and I've left it at work. :(

Sigh, I have to wait a week for it to arrive out here in the (former) colonies!

escargot1 said:
Mine arrived this morning and I've left it at work. :(

That's a pity because it's the best issue they've ever done in the history of the publication.

Well, I enjoyed reading the nutty tokoloshe stories, I suppose we in the UK have poltergiests and the Southern Africans have little hairy invisible men with enormous penises. The Breatharians always sounded like deluded fakes to me, and that article did not dispel that opinion.

Bit disappointed to see the IHTM including that one about the broadcast from the future. It's been debunked on here as an advert, though has taken on a life of its own, evidently.

I concur. I'm only half way through it so far and it's a blinder.

I was joking a bit, but it's definitely one of the better ones. Really enjoyed it. Also: that pic on page 29? Of the waving alien? Should have been the cover image.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Spent two pleasant afternoons sitting on a pub terrace whilst reading it and drinking a beer, so far.

Good articles on H.P. Lovecraft and one on the health benefits of coffee, yet didn't read any mention of Lovecraft's habit of writing through the night due to his coffee fuelled insomnia. Maybe I missed it.

Wouldn't mind reading an article on the heyday of the magazine, Weird Tales, itself. Lovecraft wasn't the only writer of weird and uncanny stuff. Just one of the more wholesome ones.

Phenomenomix is doing a bio. on Arthur Machen, this time. Great series.

Haven't read mine yet - I'm saving it for a train journey tomorrow.

Having finished this issue, I am eagrely waiting for the next issue!

Very good issue. I didn't really bother reading the Lovecraft stuff as I'm not too fussed with him. The rest of it was very good though.

You know, I've never even read Lovecraft, despite the high praises some folk heap upon him. Should I read him?

47Forteans said:
You know, I've never even read Lovecraft, despite the high praises some folk heap upon him. Should I read him?

I think the article nicely summed up his appeal in conjuring a cold, unfeeling, impersonal universe which his characters inhabit which of course means very few 'happy' endings. When you add in the constant threat of the cosmic pushing at the periphery of our reality it really does give the reader a genuine sense of unease.

I think he's worth reading just to get the sense of what he was trying to do, something so few authors have managed to capture before or since.

47Forteans said:

Read him, he really had something, not really dated imho, except there is casual racism in some of his stories but it reflects the time they were written in. His prose & letters are more extreme. In his fiction his ire is directed at hillbillies who he potrays as inbred tunnel dwelling cannibals.

Interesting reviews of 3 books on Scientology in 304.

Mythconceptions claims that coffee won't sober you up.

Adolf Lu Hitler is hoping to win a fourth term in the Meghalaya Legislature in India.

In the very first FT I ever bought there was a clipping of an African ad featuring a photo of a dapper black man with the quote "I am back in business - contact me, Adolf Hitler, at this number" or something like that.

gncxx said:
In the very first FT I ever bought there was a clipping of an African ad featuring a photo of a dapper black man with the quote "I am back in business - contact me, Adolf Hitler, at this number" or something like that.

Robert Mugabe had a henchman whose first name was Hitler.

47Forteans said:

Certainly worth browsing -- he practically invented the modern horror genre and his style and intensity are unique.

And you should definitely get Shadows from Norwood (the Lovecraft-inspired collection mentioned in FT) while it's still only 1.99!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadows-From-No ... QHM/ref=sr

The Berlin Ghost on p72.

I certainly see the upper body and face and hat the writer mentions, but far more haunting to me is the woman stood to the right of the picture.

Side on profile view, her nose and forehead are created by the shape of the top of the angels wing. She is dressed in black and appears to have her hands held together at her waist. Just above the iron gate.

Clearly a simulacra created by shadow but having seen it I cannot unsee it now and I really wish I could given that it is 20 past midnight and I am home alone. :oops: :(

McAvennie_ said:
The Berlin Ghost on p72.

I certainly see the upper body and face and hat the writer mentions, but far more haunting to me is the woman stood to the right of the picture.

Side on profile view, her nose and forehead are created by the shape of the top of the angels wing. She is dressed in black and appears to have her hands held together at her waist. Just above the iron gate.

Clearly a simulacra created by shadow but having seen it I cannot unsee it now and I really wish I could given that it is 20 past midnight and I am home alone. :oops: :(

Well I've just watched The Borderlands and I'm bloody scared.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2781832/

ramonmercado said:
Well I've just watched The Borderlands and I'm bloody scared.

I saw that too! What an ending!

Back