• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT305

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone else get theirs? Haven't had a chance for an in-depth read, but delighted to see Crook Frightfulness has finally made an appearance.

Mine arrived while I was at work. Not opened it yet. :D

Got mine yesterday. Like what I've read, so far.

I would have made more of the "Cumberland Spaceman" mystery apparently being solved, though :?

Had more of a read today, and almost every letter was a winner, even the IHTMs were all quality (not sure the earworm is all that supernatural, mind you), and I'm now pondering whether elks exist because I've never seen one either, and if there's a curse of doom on 10 Downing Street. Plus good to know Emergo made it to Newcastle, I thought it was an American phenomenon.

Crook Frightfulness was well worth the wait, a terrific article, so well researched and very revealing in light of the article which followed it. Both seemed like the product of deranged minds, but when more than one person claims similar kinds of mysterious persecution, many more, you wonder if they're feeding one another's psychosis or if there's really something to it.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive! When it does, I shall be giddy with glee!

Wretched postal service taking its own sweet time to deliver to the Fools Guild. (Prepares custard pies to throw at said postal service!)

Strange tales of Homeland Security +++++Spoiler alert+++++

Druggie thinks the world is watching him because once upon a time someone stole some night vision glasses and then stayed at the druggies house. Please!
I'm not even going to start on the invisible midgets and other such rubbish, but can someone answer one simple question. If it all started over some stolen night vision glasses, why on earth would any government agency be following this unimportant person years later, when obviously he would no longer have access to the glasses. Why not follow, say.... someone who IS a threat to the country?
And please don't say it's because this unemployed druggie who sleeps in a caravan behind his mother's house is a danger to the most powerful government in the world.
If this is the level that FT are going to drop to, I will seriously question if I want to renew my subscription.

BTW, yes of course I'm working for "them" :roll:

Funny, I saw the article as a modern complement to the Edwardian article right before it, obviously delusional but curious all the same because it's an experience shared by many people. There is a panel in the second article which pretty much says all this stuff is impossible. I do worry what it might do to suggestible minds, however.

Mine turned up just a couple of hours ago. I haven't even opened the plastic wrapper yet! :D

los_grandes_lutz said:

Druggie thinks the world is watching him because once upon a time someone stole some night vision glasses and then stayed at the druggies house. Please!
I'm not even going to start on the invisible midgets and other such rubbish, but can someone answer one simple question. If it all started over some stolen night vision glasses, why on earth would any government agency be following this unimportant person years later, when obviously he would no longer have access to the glasses. Why not follow, say.... someone who IS a threat to the country?
And please don't say it's because this unemployed druggie who sleeps in a caravan behind his mother's house is a danger to the most powerful government in the world.
If this is the level that FT are going to drop to, I will seriously question if I want to renew my subscription.

That is the worst article I think I've ever read in nearly 20 years of FT. Complete garbage. I'm really shocked and pissed off that they published it.
Seriously, WTF.

good cover though ... especially after last months pub sign

HenryFort said:
gncxx said:
... I do worry what it might do to suggestible minds, however.

i think i know where youre coming from

Yeah, after certain recent posts here I'm wondering if the article shouldn't have been the sidebar and vice versa.

gncxx said:
Funny, I saw the article as a modern complement to the Edwardian article right before it, obviously delusional but curious all the same because it's an experience shared by many people. There is a panel in the second article which pretty much says all this stuff is impossible. I do worry what it might do to suggestible minds, however.
I think I'm going to call this the Summer Madness issue. The weather was great yesterday, so I read it almost cover to cover, sitting on my favourite quiet terrace and drinking Brand pils out of the bottle.

I enjoyed it, even the Homeland Security craziness. It really did complement the Crook Frightfulness article. It reminded me of the sort of stuff PK Dick used to come out with, back in his crazy druggy days. I can see what gncxx means, there's a real Fortean nebulousness about the article - how much of this should we believe, if at all? The Crook Frightfulness article did provide a bit of historical context. The invisible midgets were worthy of John Keel and I enjoyed the insider's hatchet job on Keel as well.

A good issue.

Can we have just one issue without Aliestar Crowley being mentioned? :headbutt:

DiocletianX said:
los_grandes_lutz said:

Druggie thinks the world is watching him etc etc etc powerful government in the world.

That is the worst article I think I've ever read in nearly 20 years of FT. Complete garbage. I'm really shocked and pissed off that they published it.
Seriously, WTF.
finally read this and what grates most for me is the appalling writing style ...

DrWhiteface said:

I very much doubt it. Hes undead and is the real FT editor.

DiocletianX said:
Seriously, WTF.

I dunno, we've had some pretty dire ones. The otakin and that one by Loren Coleman on giants being real were absolute garbage and will be hard to topple. Then again I've haven't got round to reading this article yet, so we may have a new contender!

DrWhiteface said:

We'll get it right after the issue that doesn't mention John Mitchell.

Every issue seems to mention both Crowly and Mitchell - why? Unless they've discovered something new by these two, they shouldn't be crammed into every issue as if the magazine couldn't survive without them!

DrWhiteface said:

He is an important figure in 20th century occultism though, with a finger in every grubby pie. This is why he is sent up in every other issue in Phenomenomix: he seems to be involved in everything. ;)

los_grandes_lutz said:

Maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud. My next subscription payment went through a month earlier than expected :shock:

los_grandes_lutz said:
los_grandes_lutz said:
Maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud. My next subscription payment went through a month earlier than expected :shock:
Clearly FT is monitoring your posts here! :twisted:

Urvogel said:
DiocletianX said:
Seriously, WTF.

I dunno, we've had some pretty dire ones. The otakin and that one by Loren Coleman on giants being real were absolute garbage and will be hard to topple. Then again I've haven't got round to reading this article yet, so we may have a new contender!

DrWhiteface said:

We'll get it right after the issue that doesn't mention John Mitchell.

An issue without either of them would be brilliant!

I don't think the persecuted-over-missing-night-vision-goggles article was much good. Paranoid delusions of an admitted drug taker is how the whole thing came across. Is this where FT is heading now? Amazing how they drop their standards for what might boost sales rather than something actually Fortean.

Or perhaps they were one article short for this issue...

I'm with you there Dr Whiteface.
I know that new Forteana might be a bit thin on the ground but I would have rather had a new article on an old topic rather than the drivel we have had this issue.

Invisible midgets should only be employed to do my dirty work!

Back