• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT305

I am getting bored with phenomenix, from being one of my favourite parts of the mag its now one i wouldnt miss if it was axed. It isnt anywhere near as funny or informative as it used to be.

Both the gang stalker articles seemed more the product of mental illness then anything else and i wonder why they where thought worthy of getting published.

And finally...what happened to el mastubatory, the sex ghosts of sicily article? did it come and i missed it? My workmates where both really looking forward to reading it. :oops:

Actually I think the scariest thing about the gangstalking article was that it was apparently written by a guy who teaches English at a university. Seriously? The writing was terrible and seemed high school level at best. Eesh, if I was one of his students I'd want my money back.

titchagain said:
And finally...what happened to el mastubatory, the sex ghosts of sicily article? did it come and i missed it? My workmates where both really looking forward to reading it. :oops:

Take the 'coming next month' with a pinch of salt. Sometimes due to problems articles get delayed, but they do turn up eventually. I seem to recall the London necropolis article eventually got published about a year after it announced...

Urvogel said:
Actually I think the scariest thing about the gangstalking article was that it was apparently written by a guy who teaches English at a university. Seriously? The writing was terrible and seemed high school level at best. Eesh, if I was one of his students I'd want my money back.

titchagain said:

Take the 'coming next month' with a pinch of salt. Sometimes due to problems articles get delayed, but they do turn up eventually. I seem to recall the London necropolis article eventually got published about a year after it announced...

Just like the White Pyramid article about ten years ago - that took several months for it to be published...

As an infrequent visitor to this forum I'll go out on a limb and say, I think you all are being entirely too hard on the cover article about gang-stalking.

I just sent an email to the author thanking him for the article and I'll extend that thank you to the editors / publishers.

While I would agree with much of the criticism leveled at the 2 articles so far as the indeterminacy of the reality of the perceived persecutions is concerned, I found them both helpful, revealing and educational. I was unaware of Richard Schowengerdt's work and claims of mil-int-industrial shenanigans by SAIC (surely an org who are known to most Forteans with a ufological bent) regarding his alleged optical chamouflage tech.

I realize that the claims of self-proclaimed mind-control victims and high-tech harassment gang-stalkees are probably even less believable in the minds of Forteans (let alone the general public) than are claims of alien abductees, ufo close encounter witnesses and perceivers of apparitions but seriously, wtf is about the inclusion of these 2 articles that causes such a negative reaction amongst you all?

For my own take on the issue of "hearing voices" please see my 2008 article:

GUIDED BY VOICES
http://www.anomalymagazine.com/zine/200 ... by-voices/

Meanwhile ... where in the issue is the article about the Cumberland Spaceman?

WhistlingJack said:
Got mine yesterday. Like what I've read, so far.

I would have made more of the "Cumberland Spaceman" mystery apparently being solved, though :?

crook frightfulness was an interesting piece well presented ... the other was a lot of noise ... i mean i think i actually laughed out loud when the list of provided car number plates was "run by a contact in washington" ( or similar ) ... and the failure to produce a hit was proof that there was some substance to the whole shenanigans ... for me it was the kind of piece that shouldve appeared in the letters page, edited down to a column and a half with (sic) throughout

Anomaly said:
Meanwhile ... where in the issue is the article about the Cumberland Spaceman?

WhistlingJack said:
Got mine yesterday. Like what I've read, so far.

I would have made more of the "Cumberland Spaceman" mystery apparently being solved, though :?
It's in the UFO section.

I couldn't find a thread on the Washington navy yard shooting, but something in this otherwise rather dry piece from the Washington Post reminded me of the "Crook Frightfulness" article:

Officials: Navy Yard shooter carved odd messages into his gun before carnage
Aaron Alexis carved bizarre phrases on the stock of his shotgun before he killed 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, and investigators are hoping the words provide clues to what prompted the shooting, two law enforcement officials said.

The phrases were “Better off this way” and “My ELF weapon,” according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

The officials cautioned they do not yet know what, if anything, Alexis meant in the etchings.

ELF generally stands for “extremely low frequency” and can refer to weather or communications efforts, among other things.

Alexis, who was battling mental health issues, told police in Rhode Island in August that he was hearing voices of three people who had been sent to follow him and keep him awake and were using “some sort of microwave machine” to send vibrations into his body, preventing him from falling asleep, according to police reports.

The law enforcement officials said they do not know whether he was referring to those vibrations in his carvings. The Navy has used extremely low frequencies in several capacities, including a joint effort with the Air Force on the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP). HAARP is often cited by conspiracy theorists.

[etc...]

Perhaps a Fortean angle on this story after all?

HenryFort said:
crook frightfulness was an interesting piece well presented ... the other was a lot of noise ... i mean i think i actually laughed out loud when the list of provided car number plates was "run by a contact in washington" ( or similar ) ... and the failure to produce a hit was proof that there was some substance to the whole shenanigans ... for me it was the kind of piece that shouldve appeared in the letters page, edited down to a column and a half with (sic) throughout

I think you're overrating it. That article was just plain horrible all around. Probably the worst I've seen in several years, actually. Aside from the fact that NV goggles aren't anything particularly sensitive or secret, that kind of petty theft would be roundly ignored by anyone but military police.

The rest of the "gangstalking" description sounded like something one might read in an old 1970s issue of Head Comix (i.e. written after partaking in a not a few recreational pharmaceuticals).

Definitely interesting as an example of what clinical paranoia can do to someone, though.

crook frightfulness or dion fuller ? or both ? i enjoyed reading the crook frightfulness piece as at least it was well written and had a lot of historical context ... i bet that book is an interesting read ... the other however was irritating dross

The Crook Frightfulness article was a first-rate piece with genuine new research by a Fortean talent I hope FT will cultivate. More of this quality, please! :)

I think the sniping has been directed at "related?" pieces in the issue. :(

Gangstalking

The Robert Guffey article was the worst piece I have read in FT.
Was any evidence put forward for this.

DrWhiteface said:
Can we have just one issue without Aliestar Crowley being mentioned? :headbutt:

No.

Seriously, you'd miss him if he weren't there.

Steve1 said:
DrWhiteface said:
Can we have just one issue without Aliestar Crowley being mentioned? :headbutt:

No.

Seriously, you'd miss him if he weren't there.

No, I wouldn't! I am quite content to live without him! I was happy before I knew of his existence, and would be happy to get an inssue of FT without him appearing in any form!

DiocletianX said:
los_grandes_lutz said:
Strange tales of Homeland Security +++++Spoiler alert+++++

Druggie thinks the world is watching him because once upon a time someone stole some night vision glasses and then stayed at the druggies house. Please!
I'm not even going to start on the invisible midgets and other such rubbish, but can someone answer one simple question. If it all started over some stolen night vision glasses, why on earth would any government agency be following this unimportant person years later, when obviously he would no longer have access to the glasses. Why not follow, say.... someone who IS a threat to the country?
And please don't say it's because this unemployed druggie who sleeps in a caravan behind his mother's house is a danger to the most powerful government in the world.
If this is the level that FT are going to drop to, I will seriously question if I want to renew my subscription.

BTW, yes of course I'm working for "them" :roll:

That is the worst article I think I've ever read in nearly 20 years of FT. Complete garbage. I'm really shocked and pissed off that they published it.
Seriously, WTF.

I'm about a year behind on FT so only just getting through 305 and I came here to check if I was alone with my opinion of that article... and I am glad to find I'm not.

Alarm bells rang early when the article described "At least seven dudes followed him into a 7/11..." Seven dudes? At that point I could only read the rest of the article in my head in a voice similar to Otto from The Simpsons or Kai The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker. I too was shocked to read the author is an English professor...! Seriously?

The Crook Frightfulness article was far superior, and, regardless of whether it was true or all the ravings of a lunatic, the fact that it actually made it into print and is now something of a literary Holy Grail for collectors lends it a level of authenticity and curiosity that makes it worthy of inclusion.

Reading the article as each layer of the mystery unfolded I was gripped to find out what happened next, I had suspicions that his colleague Thomas Henry Wood was going to be behind it all, driving his 'friend' mad in a hope of inheriting his business.

I actually thought it would make a great subject for the cinema. Obviously not a summer blockbuster, but one of those curious films that come out every so often. I could see someone like Johnny Depp playing the role of A Victim, and his old buddy Tim Burton crafting an authentic late Victorian/early 20th Century world of paranoia, madness and bizarre characters.

Back