• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT306

Re: The "Amelia Earhart" photo in 306

djoltes said:
Has anyone else looked at this photo (under "Letters") and thought the supposed explanation completely wrong? The author, David Pawlowski, claims (with no evidence) it's of a "senior guard wearing no identification" and that his "itchy trigger finger" is a threat to keep interested people away from the obvious (not!) Lockheed Electra in the background.

His broad smile, manner of holding the Thompson, and stance are those of the typical serviceman posing with a weapon so he can send a photo home to family and friends. My Dad served in Burma in '44-45 and sent home almost exactly the same photo, albeit taken in the jungle, as well as snaps of his friends also holding weapons in mock threat poses. Should I suppose Dad and his mates were helping hide Earhart's Electra as well?

The "lack" of ID is easily explained as well, since US servicemen of the era wore patches on the shoulders, which clearly are not shown in the photo.

Mr. Pawlowski's imagination is running away with him. Sorry, case not proven.

I thought exactly the same. Maybe it was the wrong picture, but if it wasn't there was a lot of seeing what you want to see going on.

Back