• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT309

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Arrived at Bin Towers yesterday.

- The House that Haunted Itself to Death

- The history of St Nicholas

- Fu Manchu

- Prince Phillip Cult

This Prince Philip Cult - does it have quotes from the Great Man himself? One would hope so!

Just been reading mine, some good articles, thought The Terror of the Tongs poster on the Fu Manchu article is odd because it's not a Fu Manchu movie, though its star Christopher Lee made a few films as that character.

The Turn of the Screw article was a nice bit of research, but why did Mary Ricketts have a chinstrap beard?

If the St. Nicholas article has inspired you, check out the Dutch movie Saint from a couple of years ago, a horror version of the tale which will make more sense if you've read up on the background (assuming you aren't Dutch already).

The Turin Shroud in a Kit Kat! Must be one of those weird Japanese flavours. Not sure about the "Satan pilots UFOs" letter, one of those mad missives board members like to read, presumably.

Really good forum piece on spooky Santas conjured up in real life, but the photo they used for the article - anyone else creeped out by that?!

Great article on Fu Manchu, nice that it highlighted that Rohmer painted him as something of an anti-hero and not nearly as racist a portrayal as the film versions. I have just started reading the Insidious Dr Fu Manchu again to celebrate.

As a great example of the racism, in the 1932 version Mask of Fu Manchu there is a scene where Fu (as representative of all Asian peoples) tells some clearly not asian folks (usual Hollywood brown make up and turbans) that they must "Kill the white man and take his women!" Of course we all know that the first words a non-white child learns is 'Where the white women at?' :roll:

gncxx said:
Really good forum piece on spooky Santas conjured up in real life, but the photo they used for the article - anyone else creeped out by that?!

I recall that picture from my Readers Digest Book of the Unexplained!

Heckler20 said:
As a great example of the racism, in the 1932 version Mask of Fu Manchu there is a scene where Fu (as representative of all Asian peoples) tells some clearly not asian folks (usual Hollywood brown make up and turbans) that they must "Kill the white man and take his women!" Of course we all know that the first words a non-white child learns is 'Where the white women at?' :roll:

I quite enjoy that film, not because of the massive racism but because of the pulp paranoia which is quite entertaining when it's so difficult to take that near-hysteria seriously. Plus an irredeemable Boris Karloff is fun.

liveinabin1 said:
gncxx said:

I recall that picture from my Readers Digest Book of the Unexplained!

I wonder who it is? Seeing that fizzog staring in through the window would make you swear off presents for life.

My copy has finally arrived - but two days before Christmas, and I don't have the time to read it! :furious:

Mine arrived a few days after 308. Neither rhyme noir reason to delivery schedule. Once, three issues arrived together.

I once had one issue arrive on the Friday and the next issue to arrive on the Monday.

they probably went round the world in different directions

Back