• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT311

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Mine just rolled up. :D

Won't get much done today.

Mine too!

And some CDs, vinyl, comics and movies. Please, keep raining, feel free!

TheMany said:
Mine too, I even managed a clipping credit this time!

Congrats! I remember the glee I felt when I first saw my name in the clipping credits! And it's been in there every issue for ten years or so...

Oh, that came across as boastful and gloating... :oops:

DrWhiteface said:
TheMany said:

Congrats! I remember the glee I felt when I first saw my name in the clipping credits! And it's been in there every issue for ten years or so...

Not at all.

I've had credits since 1995. But I don't boast to much.

ramonmercado said:
DrWhiteface said:
TheMany said:

Not at all.

I don't boast either, but there is a warm glow seeing your name in print somewhere that isn't a Wanted sign! :lol:

47Forteans said:
ramonmercado said:
DrWhiteface said:
TheMany said:

Not at all.

I don't boast either, but there is a warm glow seeing your name in print somewhere that isn't a Wanted sign! :lol:

Ok! I admit it! Every month when I see my name in the credits I jump in the air and click my heels together 3 times!

ramonmercado said:
Ok! I admit it! Every month when I see my name in the credits I jump in the air and click my heels together 3 times!

Last time I tried that, I woke up in bed in Kansas with three okies standing over me.

ramonmercado said:
47Forteans said:
ramonmercado said:
DrWhiteface said:
TheMany said:

Not at all.

It is indeed a nice feeling, and makes th arrival of FT more exciting. I occasionally get a Letter published, which really makes my day :)

Mine arrived today, haven't had a chance to read it but from a quick skim it looks esoteric.

Mine showed up a couple of days ago. I'm sure I only just put the last one out!

And I've never had my name in print...............

Liked the way the droning meditation and the droning music articles complemented each other, though what was described in the latter sounds a short step away from a sonic weapon.

Re: the letters, I see we have another mad person one, but also that one about the footage of the drunk animals, it certainly did feature in the film Animals are Beautiful People, but I'm pretty sure I've seen staggering, inebriated African creatures in other documentaries that don't have the same comedy theme, maybe even a David Attenborough programme. Anyone else?

Oh, and the Putin dog. Funny but disturbing - what a combination.

I've only had time for a quick scan of my copy, but as that scan flagged up three favourites of mine - the author, William Roughead; the city, Edinburgh; the documentary, Dark Days - then I think I'm going to enjoy it.

(I don't suppose the article with Garry Kvistad mentions Moondog at all - that would be just too much.)

Do we get a prize for spotting the deliberate mistake in the last frame of Phenomenomix this issue? :shock:

Spookdaddy said:
(I don't suppose the article with Garry Kvistad mentions Moondog at all - that would be just too much.)

Mostly Steve Reich. I suppose the writer should be glad he didn't demonstrate the "brown noise" he seems all too capable of.

A thumping good issue, i got bored with the droning articles but the rest was top notch and i am still laughing at ll mastturbatore, that really made me day. The deliberate mistake wasnt it two school teachers not oxford dons?

My copy turned up the day before yesterday. Waiting for a quiet few minutes to get down to some serious reading, but it looks excellent. The Phenomenomix on Yeats is one of the best comic bios, yet.

:)

titchagain said:
The deliberate mistake wasnt it two school teachers not oxford dons?

Yup, I spotted that too. :lol:

escargot1 said:
titchagain said:
The deliberate mistake wasnt it two school teachers not oxford dons?

Yup, I spotted that too. :lol:

Weren't the authors both academics and principals of the same Oxford college (at different times, obviously)? Maybe that's what confused Phenomenomix.

(Mind you, in either case - author or pseudo-author - they were highly unlikely to have been bowler hatted and moustached.)

Academics rather than dons, and given that their names were Eleanor Jordain and Charlotte Moberly I think moustaches and bowler hats would be very unlikely, despite what has been said about them since...

ghughesarch said:
Academics rather than dons, and ... their names were Eleanor Jordain and Charlotte Moberly...
Elsewhere on this MB, I've posted about how I know a man distantly related to Miss Moberly! ;)

Mine arrived on Friday. Storms on the Irish Sea delayed it I guess.

The Crowley graphic novel bio gets a poor review. Any reconsiderations for the best Crowley bio?

But the Alan Moore bio looks more interesting.

David Sutton gives a very bad review to Upstream Colour, 3/10. It is a confusing film but I'd give it 7/10.

Loved the Phenomenomix on Yeats. His sorcery was in his poetry.

Haven't read the main articles yet.

Some very 'interesting' letters.
And I really liked the secret steam engines article. I know it's been talked about on here but it was really interesting to read all the research.

Have yet to make it to the letters page, and seeing Crowley in Hunt's cartoon again has put me off!

liveinabin1 said:
And I really liked the secret steam engines article. I know it's been talked about on here but it was really interesting to read all the research.

Agree, this (to me) was the most interesting part of this month's FT!

DrWhiteface said:
Have yet to make it to the letters page, and seeing Crowley in Hunt's cartoon again has put me off!

For me, spotting Crowley is a bonus. Crowley is many things to many people. He goes in and out of fashion a bit but back in the day he had important friends with influence. He had fingers in lots of pies. ;)

Also, he is drawn so wittily, with the dinky 666. :lol:

liveinabin1 said:

Be great to seem them steaming out of tunnels in time of need.

escargot1 said:
DrWhiteface said:

For me, spotting Crowley is a bonus. Crowley is many things to many people. He goes in and out of fashion a bit but back in the day he had important friends with influence. He had fingers in lots of pies. ;)

Also, he is drawn so wittily, with the dinky 666. :lol:

And hes soundly trounced by Yeats in this episode.

Back