• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT313

TheMany

Junior Acolyte
Its seems that subscription copies are starting to hit the door mats. Exciting times :D

Mine is here, and I only finished the last one yesterday.
Is it like Christmas that as you get older, issues of FT seem to get closer together?

The late John Mortimer reckoned that when he got old he seemed to be having breakfast every five minutes.

Have yet to have either breakfast or the current (313) issue of FT!

Mine rolled up this morning. :D

I know some readers don't like the celebrity tales, but I did think it was nice to hear from Linda Blair in IHTM, she always seemed like a decent sort and knowing she thinks cats and dogs are angels wearing animal suits sounds like the kind of thing she'd say. Rather her than the two (two!) letters from mad people on the page before, one after the other.

I'm enjoying this issue more than any of the recent ones. The Exorcist piece was a good read and I've never even had any interest in seeing the film!

I'm not feeling it with this issue anything like as much as last issue. On page 22 there's a picture from a Portuguese manuscript of an animal in a letter D. It's suggested it's a kangaroo. Am I the only one thinking it's a hare? A badly drawn hare. But more likely a badly drawn hare than a badly drawn kangaroo.

PeteByrdie said:
I'm not feeling it with this issue anything like as much as last issue.

I should have given it more of a chance before posting this. I've have a chance to read the articles about exorcism today, and I've been gripped by them. Excellent, thought-provoking overview of the subject. Well done, FT!

Yes, the exorcism articles were very illuminating, and you can regard them either as proof of the Satanic or proof of mankind's fallibility to believe or manipulate superstition. The man who tore his wife's face off was a bit much. Still not sure about the recent possession in the USA, sounds very like a bunch of people winding each other up then realising they could profit off their antics.

I thought it was a cracker of an issue, unlike the last one which I found dull.

I loved the letters too, especially the ones from people with questionable mind processes.

liveinabin1 said:
I thought it was a cracker of an issue, unlike the last one which I found dull.

I have a practice which gives me a measure of how much I get from any given issue. I don't know whether anyone else does this, but as I read through the magazine I mark articles I really enjoy and they end up in a lever arch file. There were several snippets in the last issue right from the beginning, but spread evenly throughout. In this issue, virtually nothing except the exorcism articles, which is still a fairly large amount of the issue, but concentrated in a few articles. Anyway, both issues worked for me.

Got mine yesterday, good so far. Some great Fortean Headlines: Abbott Puts suppository in wrong place, Man survives for two years without heart.

Good film reviews, new Captain America looks interesting, gets 9/10.

Fluoridation of water crops up again Konspiracy Korner. There might be something to it: all of those missing people could be dissolved in fluoridated water. Often someone goes for a bath or a shower and is never seen again.

Haven't got this issue yet, and still reading last issue...

ramonmercado said:
new Captain America looks interesting, gets 9/10.

It is a pretty fun movie. I'd give it 8/10, certainly.

I am really scared pooless at the thought of possession and exorcisms so i skipped most of this months issue, but what i did read was very good.

PeteByrdie said:
ramonmercado said:
new Captain America looks interesting, gets 9/10.

It is a pretty fun movie. I'd give it 8/10, certainly.

Hope to see it in the coming week, must also see Under The Skin. Heres an interesting film with a Fortean touch also on my to see list.

Richard Ayoade follows his celebrated debut feature Submarine with this sharply scripted adaptation of a Dostoyevsky novella, an ingenious black comedy that bristles with invention. Jesse Eisenberg plays lonely Simon James, a put upon office lackey whose timidity only sees him belittled by bureaucracy at his place of work, derided by his ailing mother and ignored by Hannah (Mia Wasikowska), the girl of his dreams who works on the office photocopier.

Things only get worse when James Simon, Simon James' doppelgänger, appears from nowhere. A gregarious, self confident mirror image of Simon, James is immediately accepted and appreciated by the people of Simon’s world, gaining significant rewards at his job and claiming women as easy conquests. As he witnesses Hannah being drawn into James’ orbit, Simon’s fragile grip on reality begins to loosen. (Notes by Michael Hayden.)
http://www.ifi.ie/film/the-double/

ramonmercado said:
...Hope to see it in the coming week, must also see Under The Skin...

Read the Michel Faber novel - had no idea it had been made into a movie. Might have to give that a looking at myself.

Spookdaddy said:
ramonmercado said:
...Hope to see it in the coming week, must also see Under The Skin...

Read the Michel Faber novel - had no idea it had been made into a movie. Might have to give that a looking at myself.

Under The Skin

Directed by: Jonathan Glazer Release Date: 14/03/2014
Genre: Scienc Fiction/Drama Run Time: 108

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Antonia Campbell-Hughes, Paul Brannigan, Krystof Hádek, Michael Moreland, Jessica Mance, Scott Dymond, Steve Keys, Jeremy McWilliams

Rating Advice: Contains infrequent strong sex and frequent nudity

Synopsis: Visually and aurally audacious and as slippery in form as its central character, Jonathan Glazer’s (Sexy Beast, Birth) elliptical sci-fi about an alien creature (Scarlett Johansson) who stalks down human prey is a brilliant amalgam of fantasy and reality. In a stunning early sequence of metamorphosis, the naked femme fatale dons the attire of her predecessor and goes out on the prowl in a non-descript van, effortlessly procuring not-so gullible lads from the backstreets of Glasgow and local highways and luring them into an unimaginable void. Through alien eyes, the world appears desolate, the men all hungry and wanting. Filmed on location in Scotland, where not all the male victims were knowing participants, the filmmaking recalls the realism of Ken Loach as much as the surrealism of David Lynch. Glazer has created an entirely distinctive film, both creepy and luminous in its metaphysical precision.
http://lighthouse.admit-one.eu/?p=detai ... Code=12612

Under The Skin is probably my film of the year so far... but it definitely isn't for everyone.

Under The Skin is one of those films that exists in a certain space in cinema which allows you to bring your own baggage with you and create your own interpretations of what is going on within the material as it’s presented to you, to a certain degree.
http://nuts4r2.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/under-skin.html

sherbetbizarre said:
Under The Skin is probably my film of the year so far... but it definitely isn't for everyone.

Under The Skin is one of those films that exists in a certain space in cinema which allows you to bring your own baggage with you and create your own interpretations of what is going on within the material as it’s presented to you, to a certain degree.
http://nuts4r2.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/under-skin.html
One of the stars of the movie reflects on the upside of appearing in it alongside Scarlett Johanson.

How Scarlett Johansson helped me challenge disfigurement stigma

Adam Pearson was born with a condition that causes tumours to grow on his face. But acting with Scarlett Johansson in Under the Skin is changing the way people look at him

Off topic, but good interview. :)

I've popped my copy into my rucksack, alongside my e-reader. So, I'm off to my favourite bar, with its nice sunny terrace, for beer and a read.

A nice sunny day on the terrace in front of Het Brouwcafe, Scheveningen. Several, Frisse Wind, Witte Wolken and a Chocola Porter, later, I can now say that I've read this month's issue cover to cover and it was a good 'un!

Excellent articles from Bob Rickard, Ted Harrison, et al, on The Excorcist and exorcism. After which, reading Theo Paijman's article on a historical case of German UFOnauts came as some welcome light relief. Nice to see the readers' letters contained some wacky stuff, as well.

Will there be another episode in the Phenomenomix Life of WB Yeats, I wonder.

Most informative and entertaining altogether. :D

Pietro_Mercurios said:
A nice sunny day on the terrace in front of Het Brouwcafe, Scheveningen. Several, Frisse Wind, Witte Wolken and a Chocola Porter, later, I can now say that I've read this month's issue cover to cover and it was a good 'un!

Excellent articles from Bob Rickard, Ted Harrison, et al, on The Excorcist and exorcism. After which, reading Theo Paijman's article on a historical case of German UFOnauts came as some welcome light relief. Nice to see the readers' letters contained some wacky stuff, as well.

Will there be another episode in the Phenomenomix Life of WB Yeats, I wonder.

Most informative and entertaining altogether. :D

Sadly I forgot my FT but did have a nice grande latte and danish.

I also got my passport back, which had dropped out of my bag yeterday. Didn't even know it was missing.

I hope the Phenomenomix Life of WB Yeats, runs & runs. Even covering his afterlife.

ghughesarch said:
Is it my imagination, or did Mr Crowley fail to appear this issue?

No escape. He appears on page 61 in the review of the Lance Sieveking Bio/memoir.

Back