• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT314

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Latest issue just arrived.

Real Life Superheroes
Fairy Photos
Human Sacrifice
Chinese Mummy
etc

Just arrived here at Bin Towers.

Mine contained a mysterious envelope.............

Mine's here, with the envelope. :D

I'm tempted, anyone else? ;)

I love that it was a blank envelope tucked inside the magazine. Little is more tempting to a Fortean!

Hey, we're all going to Turkey! Wahey! Well, I'm not 'cause I'm feart, but I'm sure the rest of you will have a lovely time, it'll be like Carry On Abroad or something.

Anyway, the issue, I was perusing it this afternoon and liked the superhero article, think it might be a repetitive read for a whole book though. Great to read Paul Giamatti's IHTM, that's the sort of celebrity endorsement I like, and of course many others will be pleased to see the big photo of a certain Mr A. Crowley - let's have a centrefold of him next time.

I put mine out ready for a nice read in t'garden after a bit of hedge cutting, then bloody lost it somehow. Baffled. :cry:

Try calling out for the faeries to return it, that works with car keys and stuff.

Yup, I'll try that when I've exhausted all other possibilities! :lol:

Nearly bought a wood chipper yesterday. Wish I had now as the damn' buke would surely have found its way into that!

Yet another large article on the Church. This has become a regular occurrence for a few years now. I don't see how brainwashed, evangelical Catholics believing in miracles is in any way Fortean - it's not even interesting.

Albert Rosales at UFoinfo.com has collected masses of fascinating humanoid encounters,with plenty from the last few years:

http://www.ufoinfo.com/humanoid/

These include a multiple eyewitness Spring Heeled Jack encounter from Essex, and flying humanoids over Britain, to mention but two.

This is what I personally would like to see investigated in FT, although not by your in-house skeptics Clarke and Roberts, thanks.

I still subscribe to FT out of a sense of loyalty, especially after seeing prominent paranormal newsstand titles fail in recent years. Also, I really enjoy IHTM, real grass roots Fortean material, and yet how often are these experiences followed up?

Yours, in hope...

Yet another large article on the Church. This has become a regular occurrence for a few years now. I don't see how brainwashed, evangelical Catholics believing in miracles is in any way Fortean - it's not even interesting.

I agree with this, TBH I feel rather odd reading about the church in a Fortean sense when it is held to be true by so many.

liveinabin1 said:

I agree with this, TBH I feel rather odd reading about the church in a Fortean sense when it is held to be true by so many.

I really enjoyed that article. Frankly, if the subject of the interplay between belief, faith and perception isn't fortean, I honestly don't know what is. To me, that's the very heart of fortean study. What do you mean by a 'Fortean sense'? How do you define 'fortean'?

Its been a while since theres been an article on church burnings carried out by Death Metal fans. Wouldn't mind another tale in that saga.

escargot1 said:
Yup, I'll try that when I've exhausted all other possibilities! :lol:

Nearly bought a wood chipper yesterday. Wish I had now as the damn' buke would surely have found its way into that!

Your mag went missing after you failed to slip money inside the envelope! :lol:

Hang on....people don't want to read about religious bollocks but they do want to read about UFO bollocks?

I'd personally much rather read about mass hysteria and false beliefs than people claiming Chinese lanterns and weather balloons come from Alpha Centauri.

CarlosTheDJ said:
Hang on....people don't want to read about religious bollocks but they do want to read about UFO bollocks?

I'd personally much rather read about mass hysteria and false beliefs than people claiming Chinese lanterns and weather balloons come from Alpha Centauri.

There's nowt wrong with bollocks, tastefully presented!

Great issue, even with Strange Deaths moved to the back page!

47Forteans said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

There's nowt wrong with bollocks, tastefully presented!

It's all in the presentation.

Monstrosa said:
Bollocks on a bed of pubes with a sweat and smegma jus.

Answered Monstrosa, when asked 'What would you like for your birthday dinner?'

DrWhiteface said:
Blimey! This thread has turned a bit weird! :oops:

The FTMB is the very definition of weird. :)

Anyone else struggle with reading the white on black print of the the Superhero article?

Or did I just get a crap print?

Naughty_Felid said:
Anyone else struggle with reading the white on black print of the the Superhero article?

I don't think I had a problem with it. But then, nor did I have a problem reading the print in Karl Shuker's book Cats of Magic, Mythology and Mystery, but evidently it's reviewer in this issue of FT did.

PeteByrdie said:
Naughty_Felid said:

I don't think I had a problem with it. But then, nor did I have a problem reading the print in Karl Shuker's book Cats of Magic, Mythology and Mystery, but evidently it's reviewer in this issue of FT did.

I had also trouble reading the white print on black background for the Superhero article! Lucky I sat out in the sun to read it...

again reading backnumbers. This time, superheroes of various sorts and pedigrees and really good to revisit!

Thinking that the main article author Tea Krulos missed a sitter. Mr Krulos , on page 45, goes into a necessary detour to explain the significance of the letters SHU - Scoville Heat Units - in the context of one of the supers he interviews.

Just pointing out here a related detail the author might be interested in and which got missed (you can't pick everything up in research, alas, but this is a nice sideline).

There's a superhero webcomic which has been running since 2010, Grrl Power by David Barrack. (funny superhero parody, sends up all the tropes, well drawn, great story lines - reccomended). In which superheroines in North America have been co-opted into a Squad to keep them out of trouble and have them doing good. These are the standard pneumatic muscle-girls, including some alien humanoids, who all seem to stand over six foot tall. One day they get a new recruit. A weedy bespectacled little nerd-girl called Sydney who runs a comic shop. She has access to superpowers. One of which is the ability to consume lethally hot chili dinners without discomfort and lots of enjoyment.

Her full name is Sydney Scoville.

(Note to mods - if reproducing a full page presents copyright issues, please advise me and I'll delete? This appears here for "fair use" reasons as it illustrates the point. ) Also an edit: assumed "Tea" was a female name - got to the end of the article and looked more carefully. He is, in in fact, a Mr Tea Krulos. Whoops.

1592759003771.png

Last edited:
I feel your pain. FT314 was a really good one. Is it available as a back issue?

Interesting to read the last two or three Popes, between them, have made 1340 new Saints - more in thirty or forty years than in the preceding five or six hundred? The big question this raises for me is... is there a department that hands out missions to newly ordained Saints as well as the halo? How soon will it be before they run out of inspiration for things to be patron saint of?

"Ah. St Darren of Wythenshawe. You're now patron saint of wheelie bins. Look, I know it isn't much, but you got here late, and frankly all the good ones are gone..."

Last edited:
Back