• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT320

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Mine's here. :D

I'm not unwrapping until I can see the whites of the eyes of the cross-trainer. :lol:

Looks like Conspiracy Corner is gone after all! :(

The horror comic book article is just terrible. I was expecting an interesting treatise about the rise of horror comics and the creation of the Comics Code, but instead it was just an 8 page rant about how everyone in government is an idiot. Ad hominem attacks, literal insults, book shilling, the lot.

Then I got to the end and realised why- it's written by the guy who wrote that godawful gang stalking article in FT305!

FT, please stop publishing this guy's work. It's utter garbage, terribly written, and I've always thought FT had higher standards than that. It just reflects bad on FT on a whole, and it's certainly not going to attract new readership if that's the main article of the mag!

Urvogel said:
The horror comic book article is just terrible. I was expecting an interesting treatise about the rise of horror comics and the creation of the Comics Code, but instead it was just an 8 page rant about how everyone in government is an idiot. Ad hominem attacks, literal insults, book shilling, the lot.

Then I got to the end and realised why- it's written by the guy who wrote that godawful gang stalking article in FT305!

FT, please stop publishing this guy's work. It's utter garbage, terribly written, and I've always thought FT had higher standards than that. It just reflects bad on FT on a whole, and it's certainly not going to attract new readership if that's the main article of the mag!

But did he have anything to say about farmers?

tonyblair11 said:
ramonmercado said:
Urvogel said:

You should consider having the sense of humour bypass reversed.

spam :glum:

tonyblair11 said:
ramonmercado said:
tonyblair11 said:
ramonmercado said:
Urvogel said:

You should consider having the sense of humour bypass reversed.

spam :glum:

I have a good sense of humour. It is still spam. When a poster makes the same reference over and over and spans the entire fucking board, then it is spam.

Thats your opinion.

I was poking fun at my own ALLEGED obsession with farmers.

You should try and lighten up, most of your posts come across as being cranky.

I'm not going away and neither are my comments.

tonyblair11 said:
Definitions are not necessarily opinions.

spam
spam/
noun
noun: spam; plural noun: spams; noun: Spam

irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
unwanted or intrusive advertising on the Internet.
"an autogenerated spam website"
trademark
a canned meat product made mainly from ham.

verb
verb: spam; 3rd person present: spams; past tense: spammed; past participle: spammed; gerund or present participle: spamming

send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.

You are just reinforcing my point that you are a crank.

tonyblair11 said:
Spam and name calling. I'm sorry that you cannot understand that using an inside joke that "only" you get over and over technically is spam.

You're the one who is spamming this topic.

I think you'll find other people get the joke and even comment on it using photo-shopped images.

Someone's about to burst into song...

hqdefault.jpg

Eh, yeah, anyway, Urvogel's right, there were times in that comics article where I wondered if he was ever going to get back to the topic. More of a soapbox rant than a useful discussion, the half-page panel about Wertham penned by the editor told me far more than the whole article put together.

Much better was the Gothic article which tied in nicely with the BBC Four coverage - the FT article even stole the thunder of the Andrew Graham-Dixon doc last night.

Anne Rice, I read the first two Lestat novels and never bothered with the rest. Interview with the Vampire is still a pretty good horror novel, though (and a pretty bad film). Some are cynical about her return to writing horror, but I doubt she's run out of money by this stage. I read one of her spanking books once, my goodness it was repetitive. That's probably what put me off her way back when.

My copy has just arrived, and since I haven't read the horror comic article yet, I cannot comment on the "spam" link on this thread...

gncxx said:
I read one of her spanking books once, my goodness it was repetitive.

I know what you mean -

Page One: thwack
Page Two: thwack thwack thwack
Page Three: thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack
Page Four: thwack thwack thwack
etc

Add a bit about Sleeping Beauty and you have a hit series of erotica, there!

Urvogel said:
The horror comic book article is just terrible.

Wertham is a controversial figure, but while narratively it makes sense for the comic book world to have an arch villain, the truth is more nuanced - it was a sign of the times, and a good look at (especially) the EC horror comics will show stuff that should not be sold to 10 year olds.

Here's a good article from comics scribe Mark Evanier about Wertham...
https://www.scribd.com/doc/242906758/Ev ... -right-pdf

Had meant to leave my copy until Hallowe'en to read, but I read it all over the weekend!

I agree about the horror comic item. It didn't seem to tell me anything about them really.

liveinabin1 said:
I agree about the horror comic item. It didn't seem to tell me anything about them really.

Have to admit I liked it. Maybe because it was a rant I agreed with.

I just came here to say the same thing. I've had a big pile to catch up on and this edition's cover had me interested. I started reading it though and quickly became irked with the style of writing - flicked to the back to see who it was and immediately thought it was the guy who had written that terrible 'Gangstalking' piece. A search of his name on here shows others have complained about a Macbeth piece in about edition 255.

He really just comes off to me as a snarky, thinks he knows it all, paranoid buffoon - like a teenager who has read a few books about 'the man' and how they are out to get us and now feels like an authority on the subject.

Still, the pictures were neat and I'm interested to learn more about the 1950s horror comics - just not through Guffey's peculiar prism.

Back