• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT324

XEPER_

Death to all but metal
Came this morning, looks like a pretty good issue. The article about conspiracy theories looks good as does the haunted farm!

My FT324 was also delivered this morning (possibly by an Orc, certainly loud enough to be one) and I've only been able to have a quick look through it so far.

Got an (unusual for me) strong sense of deja vu, when reading some of the short side-lines and also some of the Readers' Letters. Odd....may need to go into more detail.

My FT324 was also delivered this morning (possibly by an Orc, certainly loud enough to be one) and I've only been able to have a quick look through it so far.

Got an (unusual for me) strong sense of deja vu, when reading some of the short side-lines and also some of the Readers' Letters. Odd....may need to go into more detail.

They may have appeared here first.

ramonmercado said:
They may have appeared here first.

That is so utterly-obvious as to scare me that I never thought of it, independently. Apologies

The ghost milking machine sounds so much like a build up of static electricity. Brass, bakelite and rubbing surfaces- sounds like a Van de Graaf generator. It would also explain why it still happened when the machine was operated manually. The variability of the effect was probably due to whether people were touching the machine and what footwear they were wearing.

But would static electricity cause what was practically reported as teleportation of parts of the machine? I wonder where it is now (scattered across the countryside, perhaps).

The conspiracy theory article was interesting, and contained the world record uses of the phrase "conspiracy theory" in four pages, but I'd argue that just because some of them are true doesn't mean we should jump into most of them blindly. The trouble is it's so difficult to sort the facts from the deranged paranoia these days.

Sorry to see the Fortean Dictionary of the Damned ends next issue. The penultimate part was a very eloquent endorsement of the Fortean approach.

But would static electricity cause what was practically reported as teleportation of parts of the machine? I wonder where it is now (scattered across the countryside, perhaps).
Not quite teleportation. It did state that the parts were not always fired long distances. I assume, if you left it unwatched and untouched for a long period of time, big charges could send parts flying. Interestingly, the flying cigarette tin was also called a grease tin. Which was it? A grease tin could be an insulator.

Not quite teleportation. It did state that the parts were not always fired long distances. I assume, if you left it unwatched and untouched for a long period of time, big charges could send parts flying. Interestingly, the flying cigarette tin was also called a grease tin. Which was it? A grease tin could be an insulator.
I am an unemployed materials scientist, so this fascinates me. When did wearing wellies be a thing? Maybe that is the variable?

Static certainly seems a more valid explanation than the vaguely defined magnetism the investigators came up with.

I found the piece about jinn on page 20-21 fascinating. However, this sentence has completely thrown me out; "Some Afghanis hold that mujahideen, 'two-legged wolves', scared the jinn into the world..." Am I not right in thinking that the word 'mujahideen' simply refers to people involved in jihad? Is there a bipedal lupine/jihadi connection of which I'm unaware?

Didn't one tin levitate so they then put the cigarette tin in place to see if that would do it too? As for them leaving the machine "unwatched", the article said people were watching that machine like a hawk yet the plates were disappearing.
The suggestion was that they were somehow flying out the barn but it seemed to me like at least one of them would have HIT someone at some point so...teleportation indeed?

It was mentioned that when one of the plates was discovered 200 yards away it gave off an odour 'like that of a burning arc lamp' and 'a blue haze' was visible above it.

Presumably the is suggestive of high energies of some sort being involved?

I very much enjoyed this story, which was completely new to me. It's one of those accounts that just has the ring of truth about it, meaning it doesn't sound like any sort of hoaxing was involved.

Can I confess that I found this one of the dullest issues in a long time.
Other that the one about the farm I can't recall a single article in it.
This may say more about me than anything else though.

Just got my copy today, haven't had a chance to got through it yet, but it looks brilliant!:D

This from Dennis subs re the 324 subs debacle:

Many apologies – I was under the impression that you were already aware of what had happened.

There was a problem with the February issue, which took a while to come to light here. The mailing house sent the wrong Fortean Times data file (from issue 1407, rather than 1503) to Citipost this month, which means we had a lot subscribers who didn’t receive their copy, and a lot of lapsed subs that received a copy in error.

We pulled enough copies off the newsstand and from office copies, to fulfil as many missing issues as we could, prioritising people that we didn’t have email addresses for and couldn’t get in touch with (everyone we didn’t have an email address for received one of the spare copies). We then emailed everyone else a digital edition and told them that we had extended all of their subscriptions by an issue. This was the best situation that we could find – printing the extras was going to take weeks, as was waiting for all the returns from newsstand.

At our end we’ve seen a few complaints in response to the email, but only a handful, who we have sourced copies for. I’ve subsequently sent another 20 copies down to Dovetail to fulfil issues for further complaints. All costs are being covered by the mailing house. People who are having ongoing delivery problems should be directed to Dovetail, who can put their subscription on track and trace to improve delivery. Best email is [email protected] and the phone number is 01795 592909.

I’m sorry you’ve only found out now, I’ve been kept in the loop on the situation and how it was dealt with and we have now either fulfilled the copies or contacted people with a solution.

I was quite surprised to see this man turn up in the letters page.
If it's not him, then it's someone with the same name, in the same city, and with similar fortean interests...

Last edited:

Me too, I've been catching up with back issues and so have been reading quite a few in quick succession and on several occasions I have thought to myself that they must have forgotten to replace one sideline or strange death or letter from the month before as I was sure I'd already read it.

Back