• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT325

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Hope we all get this one! Stuffed full of articles this time around, including one on fat boy sideshow attractions of old, which is interesting but must feature the most repetitive group of photographs for any FT article ever (it's the fat boy, it's the fat boy again, guess what - in the same pose, it's fat boy, etc). Amusing Dali article too.

Not sure about the "Evolution is wrong" full page ad, difficult to see what it was trying to say apart from the reactionary, and I'm not about to follow the link at the bottom.

That should be calorifically enhanced, chronologically challenged person, sideshow attraction.

WTF have an article on it though? Sounds like something for a specialty fetish mag.

Not sure about the "Evolution is wrong" full page ad, difficult to see what it was trying to say apart from the reactionary, and I'm not about to follow the link at the bottom.
Bonkers ads are what FT is all about! (well, that and articles about forteana, I suppose.)

Does anyone remember this one (circa 2000)?

Attachments

• 622223825.jpg
    622223825.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 49
Sure do, and still have issues featuring that very product. Unnaccountably, I was not seduced into making a purchase.

That should be calorifically enhanced, chronologically challenged person, sideshow attraction.

WTF have an article on it though? Sounds like something for a specialty fetish mag.

It's historically interesting, and the article makes the point the "freakshow" mentality was by no means universally accepted. No fetishes involved as far as I could see.

It's historically interesting, and the article makes the point the "freakshow" mentality was by no means universally accepted. No fetishes involved as far as I could see.

Well, I haven't read it yet so I guess I should rein in my cynicism. Its just that there have been too many disappointing articles of late.

Well, I haven't read it yet so I guess I should rein in my cynicism. Its just that there have been too many disappointing articles of late.

I'll always buy FT as it's sort of like my duty to do so. FT is like the NHS something sacred that needs protecting.

I agree though, if you think of some of editions that came out in the 90's or earlier it was mind-blowing back then.

I think it's grown up a little too much. It has boutique-style articles written by journos. The one about the Prostitute's graveyard in London was awful.

The last edition that I thought was great was probably about 4 years ago.

I completely forgot this had arrived, I'll need to look at it! On my quick glance-through when I opened it I was glad to see old Uncle Al back in Phenomenomix! Do what thou wilt, as long as Crowley's mug is included! :)

I completely forgot this had arrived, I'll need to look at it! On my quick glance-through when I opened it I was glad to see old Uncle Al back in Phenomenomix! Do what thou wilt, as long as Crowley's mug is included! :)

Good to see Al back. I wish Yeats was in FT more often.

Thought it was a weak edition but did like the Haunted section re: James and Suffolk etc. That was excellent.

Knossos atticle was interesting.

Some good film reviews, Predestination is well worth seeing and I'm just arranging a meet up to see X + Y.

Where The Devil Hides is an "Amish slasher flick", gets 6/10 so I think I'll track it down.

The "It Happened to Me" from CF about a colour AMPOL logo being shown on a black-and-white television in 1965 piqued my interest, being a bit of a television nerd, so I did a quick search online. I came across this Physics Forum thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-make-a-black-and-white-television-show-color.178624/

When I was fairly young and living in the Los Angeles area, there was a test done one night on a local TV channel that was supposed to produce a color picture on the black and white TVs commonly in use. And I can recall seeing some color; I think mostly green. From time to time I have thought about this and wondered what it was that I saw. In fact at times I have doubted the memory as it didn't make any sense, but I can remember the event very clearly. Tonight it occurred to me what they were probably up to. I bet that they were strobing the white to produce a false color image, as is done with alternating black and white dots on a rotating wheel [I don't recall the name of the effect]. The idea is that each pixel on the screen would be strobed at the frequency required to produce the desired color for that dot. Does this make sense? I'm not sure what the strobe rate is that produces the false color effect, or if this was doable on B&W televisions, but it is the only thing that has even threatened to make any sense here. Is there any other way that one can imagine producing color on a B&W screen?

I can remember seeing a similar demo in the UK in about 1970 - most likely on the "Tommorow's World" weekly science program. I think they said it was done by modulating the intensity, but I don't remember any more details. It was a test image with a few large areas of different colours (which were very faint), not an attempt to show a "realistic" moving colour image.

Yes it can be done, the problem is that it only works for farily static shots since you need to modulate several fields to get a colour so it's not good for car chases and the effect only works for a small proportion of people. It's a similair principle to the moire fringes from presenter's checked jackets producing an illusion of colour on b+w TVs.

Mystery solved? (Although, I must say, I'm surprised it wasn't wider-used as a gimmick...)

Couldn't help but feel with the Holzer feature that the Ghost Hunter's Daughter was not interested in her father's work until she reached early 30s, seemingly failed in her art career, and thought "Hang on! I can make money off of this by taking people on tours off the back of Daddy's reputation...! Kerching! I mean, epiphany! I've just had an epiphany, now I get it. So how much shall I charge...?"

Couldn't help but feel with the Holzer feature that the Ghost Hunter's Daughter was not interested in her father's work until she reached early 30s, seemingly failed in her art career, and thought "Hang on! I can make money off of this by taking people on tours off the back of Daddy's reputation...! Kerching! I mean, epiphany! I've just had an epiphany, now I get it. So how much shall I charge...?"

Yes, some of the simplest ideas are the best.

Predestination is well worth seeing

Why, to an order of an infinite number of magnitudes, did I not know about this film??

Have only just watched it, via satellite tv.

I think I've read the original PKD story way back, but, this was a minimalist thought-provoking masterpiece.

It's utterly excellent!!!

Still re-reading back copies. Barry Baldwin's review of "The Day Commodus killed a Rhino" (page sixty). BB concludes on

One thing neither Toner nor anyone else can explain: how did "rhino" come to mean "money" in old British slang?

Errr... think of the related slang for prompt and full payment, "on the nose". What is the first thing that comes to mind when contemplating the front end of a rhino?

Yes. Exactly.

Back