• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT327

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Nobody else got theirs yet? I've been consuming some of it this afternoon, the lead article reads like an extended book review but pleasant enough, if a bit short. Letters seem divided between exploding heads and colour on black and white TVs.

Oh, and is anyone actually going to Turkey? They're getting desperate now!

Got mine last week. I too thought the oscillation article ( which I had never heard of before ) was interesting.

So oscillation is the start of "Number stations" then? As "possibly" hinted in the last sentence of the article.

I've actually enjoyed all of this issue's articles. Not a stompingly great issue, by any means, but I thought a steady and consistently enjoyable one.

Well, I enjoyed the lack of UFO related articles.
Perhaps Jenny Randles should switch from UFOs to war-related supernatural tales. I found her forum piece this issue to be a highlight.

Really enjoyed it - the Vardoger was entirely new to me, for example.

Perhaps Jenny Randles should switch from UFOs to war-related supernatural tales. I found her forum piece this issue to be a highlight.

Yes! I've kind of gone off ghosts but her piece was great, as was the article about the R101.

Interesting film reviews as well. Stonehearst Asylum better than Rev Laws said imho. It along with Starry Eyes, The Falling and What We Do InThe Shadows are well worth seeing.

Yes! I've kind of gone off ghosts but her piece was great, as was the article about the R101.

Interesting film reviews as well. Stonehearst Asylum better than Rev Laws said imho. It along with Starry Eyes, The Falling and What We Do InThe Shadows are well worth seeing.
I'd forgotten about the R101 article. And the haunted house article. Actually, I'm going to upgrade my opinion of this issue from 'steady and consistently enjoyable' to 'really rather good'.

Thought the Rev was spot on about Stonehearst Asylum, I wondered why it opened the same week as Avengers seeing as how it has a starry cast, but on watching it I found out soon enough, it's just really mediocre and the last twist is just silly, nowhere near the level of Poe. I'd say Mansion of Madness, the Mexican film from the 70s, did a lot more with the material.

I'm only half way through and I agree, a good solid issue.
I found the oscillation article interesting but I'm not sure how it fits in with Forteana though.

I suppose if the oscillation article was mentioned on the forum, it would be in the Human Condition bit. People acting weird. Though I agree, not very supernatural, but where else would you read an article like that?

I'm not complaining. Interesting forgotten history stuff, but doesn't quite fit the remit.

Liked the Vardoger article. We used to have a ghost cat come in all the time and we used to think it was the Neighbors dead cat Old Grandad. But we couldn't be sure. I guess you have to know who it is who is supposed to be coming in?

Last edited:
I think if you didn't know who the vardoger was supposed to be, you'd be having a break-in. But a supernatural break-in!

I liked the whole oscillation article - it was new and exciting!

Lone voice here, I didn't even read the oscillation article. I started it, realised what it was and skipped it. The vardoger piece was good, wish it had been longer.

I liked the whole oscillation article - it was new and exciting!
Back in the immediate post-crystal / pre-hetrodyne valve receiver era, it was common for radios to have a user control labeled 'Reaction'. Without going into too much detail, this peaked the sensitivity and tuned either side of the spot frequency of the detected carrier. The upshot of this is that the radios made (and could be forced to make) inane howling noises during the action of tuning from one station to another.

Another aspect of this is that these 'straight tuned' radio receivers also tended to slightly transmit (the article doesn't really make this sufficiently clear), which with massive outdoor aerials and proximity coupling meant that people could inadvertantly (or maliciously) affect the tuning of their neighbour's radio.

This 'passive radiation' effect from receivers was also useable (albeit with difficult) by Detector Vans, operated by the GPO and Nazi Abwehr etc (but for significantly-different reasons). Obviously radio transmitters were (and are) much easier to direction-find through triangulation: compare shouting through megaphones versus whispering almost silently. TV detector vans used an entirely-different approach, and were much more of a bluff (despite being able to produce courtroom evidence, if required).

On a related note, can anyone remember reading something in FT (I think...) about people whose ears can make audible noises? I mean audible to others. Almost like sharing your tinnitus. I seem to remember that this is biologically possible, but extremely rare.

On a related note, can anyone remember reading something in FT (I think...) about people whose ears can make audible noises?

I remember the issue - but cannot place fingers upon it. It's otoacoustic emission, is it not?

As for FT 327, I've only half-devoured it - adored the vardoger and the oscillation pieces. The latter seemed to me to be a v. curious examination of the origins of that spoooky wobbly theremin sound which we Forteans have come to know and love as our signature sound. Our comings and goings are stitched with its sombre wail (or is that just me?)

This has also reminded me of a much older thread here about TV detector vans, whether they worked or not.... I think I even contributed to it in a bygone username... ah nostalgia...
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/bbc-licence-propaganda.429/

That's what I like about FT - it introduces new things that I've never heard of before, and either expands or blows ones mind! (In the best possible way, of course!)

Back