• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT328

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Had a read of the new FT, and there's a darn good article on a Phantom Hitchhiker case that reminds me of how paranormal research used to be, lots of accounts of weirdness and a neat sum up at the end, nothing concrete, just a pleasing "what if?". Nice to see an old case revived like that.

Also, there's a big surprise on page 47, so keep this issue away from small children and the easily shocked.

That's as far as I've got - had to close the issue because I had the vapours. (And my dinner was ready).

Really enjoyed this months issue! I was getting worried that FT had lost it's mojo, but the last two issues have been spot on. :)

Am I the only one who thought the cover looked like a yeti with very narrow glowing eyes and an elongated, hairy forehead?

@Parabanal yes, it does. But the Phantom Hitcher also looks a bit like a misplaced Alien Grey. Multiple meme-mix magazine marketing?...maybe. Mmm...mainly my misinterpretation.

@GNC oh dear.....that severed member on page 47 is enough to scare anyone. Presumably the actions of boiling and filling it with gel may have...emphasised it. Or has it been augmented with a sea cucumber? The Russian female admirer reminds me of Joanna Lumley in 'Sapphire and Steele' mode. And did you turn Japanese before dinner?

@GNC I take it that you're not a fan of "The Vapours", then?

Interesting letters on seafood strikes, crucifixion, Mars pyramids, Nicholas Roerich & Russian Soldiers in UK in WW1 myth; all of which supply extra information/opinions.

Agree with Ultron review, film should have been longer. Rumours of directors cut on Bluy Ray being 4 hours long.

ramonmercado said:
& Russian Soldiers in UK in WW1 myth;
Missed that one...the classic tale, apparently explained as a group psychosis, non-existent batallions of spectral bolsheviks, covered in June snow and armed to the teeth, in railway stations? Did it clarify/debunk/revest the myth? I need to recapture my lent-out FT328!!

Missed that one...the classic tale, apparently explained as a group psychosis, non-existent batallions of spectral bolsheviks, covered in June snow and armed to the teeth, in railway stations? Did it clarify/debunk/revest the myth? I need to recapture my lent-out FT328!!

Suggested a certain person was responsible for starting the myth, based on letter to the Illustrated Magazine in 1954.

Classic New Wave, yeah, but... um, you do know what the title refers to, right?
I was told it was about how the miniaturisation of consumer electronics affects our outlook on life. My mum told me.

Really enjoyed this months issue! I was getting worried that FT had lost it's mojo, but the last two issues have been spot on. :)
Felt exactly the same! Even the Mr Loquaciousness read this issue and commented on how good it was. I had been toying with the idea of cancelling my subscription, but have changed my mind.

Interesting book reviews.

Two UFO tomes: yet another book on the Andreasson abduction by Ray Fowler, The Andreasson Affair, covering his (and JA Hynek's) 38 year involvement in the case; secondly a book on abductions in Meso-America, Sky People, written by an Amer-Indian, Ardy Sixkiller Clarke, who interviewed indigenous locals. Be more inclined to get the second book.

A short book: Scientology The Cult Of Greed by Jon Atack (author of A Piece of Blue Sky), a steal at £6.39.

Greenglow, a book on gravity control research by Ronald Evans who was an engineer with BAE.

Haunted Ireland by Tarquin Blake. I've gone off ghosts but this really sounds interesting with midget vampires buried upside down and shape changing Devils.

The John Michell Reader which collects his writings from the Oldie magazine. Religion, Icke, Crop Circles, Druids etc.

I was told it was about how the miniaturisation of consumer electronics affects our outlook on life. My mum told me.

Well, now I look a fool, I was obviously misinformed.

If it wasn't really about that, what on earth did he call it Turning Japanese for? I dunno, these creative types...

And I thought the lyric was 'cyclone ranger' rather than 'psyched Lone Ranger'. :cool:

Oddly having always wanted an old fashioned Bell tent and searching around for years for someone who still produces them, I finally bought one from a place in South London that still makes them and went camping in it last week. Arriving home I open the issue that's just landed on my mat and there was a full page advert for old fashioned bell tents.

I realise now that FT is simply an outward example of the reflective astral plane and simply have to think of what I want to see in it. So hopefully I will enjoy the famous ladies in the buff photo special next issue.

Whoops!

Just noticed an error in the piece about "Mysterious Clouds of Mars". It states that Mars is the closest planet to Earth, but that title goes to Venus. Mars does come closer at times, but overall Venus is our nearest neighbour.

Enjoying this issue so far, all good stuff! The piece about the author was really interesting, I'd never heard of the guy until today.
Just had a quick look for the book on Amazon. I was hoping for something like The Magus but, at least according to this reviewer, it's a pile of crap! Ah, reviewers.....:p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3HAAT9CL8RBHL/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0141182253
I started it once but couldn't get into it. I think it's one of those books like Ulysses that's a classic no one can be arsed to read.

I've just got around to reading the Strange Deaths bit of FT328. I read it because every now and then it talks of a genuinely strange coincidence, but increasingly I don't look forward to it, and this month I actually couldn't be much bothered with it for a week after finishing the rest of the issue. Is it just me getting sensitive and serious in my old age, or are other readers experiencing this? I used to find Strange Deaths amusing, but now it strikes me as just a list of tragedies and human homocidal deviance. Do we still think it strange that people die or are killed due to the effects of a drug fueled trip? Is it a source of amusing irony that people die trying to rescue beloved family members from tragic accidents? Increasingly, I come away from this part of the magazine a bit miserable, but unsure whether it's just me taking things too seriously.:(

OK, to be fair, I know two people who have finished Ulysses (I haven't btw). But I still reckon 8 out of 10 copies sold never get completed. It's famous for it.
My cousin-in-law read it in the original. Then again he translates Lady Gaga songs into Latin just for shits and giggles. He is actually a really sound bloke, it just so happens he teaches Classics.

I like a classicist......

Do you mean he read it in Irish? I thought it was in English originally.

I like a classicist......

Do you mean he read it in Irish? I thought it was in English originally.

The idea of translating it into Irish fills me with terror!

The first edition had over 2,000 errors!

how could they tell? :)

I'm a big fan of it, she said hastily.

Estimated. Each subsequent edition suffered as attempts were made to correct these but others were added.

There was a "corrected edition" in 1984 but it was showered with adverse criticism.

Back