• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT328

I've just got around to reading the Strange Deaths bit of FT328. I read it because every now and then it talks of a genuinely strange coincidence, but increasingly I don't look forward to it, and this month I actually couldn't be much bothered with it for a week after finishing the rest of the issue. Is it just me getting sensitive and serious in my old age, or are other readers experiencing this? I used to find Strange Deaths amusing, but now it strikes me as just a list of tragedies and human homocidal deviance. Do we still think it strange that people die or are killed due to the effects of a drug fueled trip? Is it a source of amusing irony that people die trying to rescue beloved family members from tragic accidents? Increasingly, I come away from this part of the magazine a bit miserable, but unsure whether it's just me taking things too seriously.:(

I've felt exactly the same recently mate. I don't even bother reading that page any more. For some reason I looked at it this month and, aye, it was just depressing rather than funny. It used to be (as I remember it at least) daft guys doing stupid stuff and suffering for it but now...like you say, family members all dying when they try to rescue trapped children and stuff like that, it's just sad.

I had a rant about this a year or so back. The Strange Deaths column seemed to be mocking named individuals, even to the extent of including cartoons of the event. Seemed insensitive in the extreme.

I had a rant about this a year or so back. The Strange Deaths column seemed to be mocking named individuals, even to the extent of including cartoons of the event. Seemed insensitive in the extreme.
They have, at least, dumped the cartoons.

Dear oh dear - I think we got mixed up between Homer & J.Joyce.... now, can we all agree which Ulysses are we talking about?

I nearly missed this issue but when I saw the Phantom Hitchhiker article was about the A.570, I had to cough up my £4 whatever.

I am up and down that road dozens of times every year but I am seldom isolated enough to relish the weirdness of it.

One Christmas Eve of spectacular hoar-frost and ground-mist on a solitary trip did get to me. No phantoms, alas!

There are tales of Mill Brow pumping-station being all lit-up on occasions when it is supposed to be doing its strange work inconspicuously.

The FT article refers to a 2004 case near the Marina but I think that is just an attempt to locate it - I am pretty sure the Marina did not exist until a few years later. :)

Found this to be another Top Notch issue of FT!

Same here.

I also liked Rest In Pieces esp the Mussolini one. Mugabe article was great and an interesting TE Lawrence conspiracy tale.

Had a read of the new FT, and there's a darn good article on a Phantom Hitchhiker case that reminds me of how paranormal research used to be, lots of accounts of weirdness and a neat sum up at the end, nothing concrete, just a pleasing "what if?". Nice to see an old case revived like that...

Yep - best issue in ages. I love a good ghost story - and a road ghost is even better. I thought Rob Gandy's article was absolutely top stuff.

When I mentioned Phantom hikers to others, they'd never even heard of them! I had to bring in my FT and let them read it! (Never got it back, though, must chase them up!)

The Phantom Hitchhikers would be a great name for a band.

I'm just glad Jenny Randles has finished her four part epic on the UFO / bus vortex.

I usually like her stuff but by heck that was a chore...

Oh and the girl on the cliff with the mystery boots behind her, clearly it is just someone stood behind her in the distance, you can even see the blue of their sleeve poking out the side behind her.

I've got a couple of stacks of past issues of FT in our bedroom ready to called into service for bed time reading, I've obviously got a boring voice because sometimes I have to read to the Mrs to help her get to sleep ... last night I found issue 328 and for the life of me don't remember it at all :) ... it's like a brand new issue that I must have bought and forgotten about enough to just chuck in the stack. Bonus! .. I haven't bought FT this month because it looked a bit boring so I've got an interesting one to read instead!.

I've got a couple of stacks of past issues of FT in our bedroom ready to called into service for bed time reading, I've obviously got a boring voice because sometimes I have to read to the Mrs to help her get to sleep ... last night I found issue 328 and for the life of me don't remember it at all :) ... it's like a brand new issue that I must have bought and forgotten about enough to just chuck in the stack. Bonus! .. I haven't bought FT this month because it looked a bit boring so I've got an interesting one to read instead!.

what the Pagan Pastimes one? (336)

I thought the lead article about Antler-wielding Morris Men would be crap but it was surprisingly good.

On a different note anyone else think Jenny Randles writing is going downhill fast?

what the Pagan Pastimes one? (336)

I thought the lead article about Antler-wielding Morris Men would be crap but it was surprisingly good.

On a different note anyone else think Jenny Randles writing is going downhill fast?

Yeah Randles articles have bored me for a while now and a lot of it has to do with her style. Only article of hers I enjoyed over last year was the Ghost one.

Liked the Papa Doc article, learned a few new things about him.

Ummites article was interesting as was the piece by Gordon Rutter about bringing Forteanism into the classroom.

Really enjoyed the Kindred article, definitely going to get the book.

Back