• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT332

Haven't picked up FT331 yet, apart from to browse. It arrived late and I've been reading other stuff.

Yes, mine's is here, had a quick look after lunch and the articles on Kubrick and the staff of life look very good. I did read the letters pages, and can only say regarding the yew trees missive, there's always a bigger expert than you.

And Mythconceptions is back! So's Classical Corner.

Yeah the Kubrick thing looks really interesting. I loved the mythconceptions piece too, very informative!

The Kubrick article was interesting enough, but I'd have preferred more examples and less theorising. Pretty good for what it was, but Room 237 remains the benchmark for Kubrick conspiracy stuff.

It's always difficult to please everyone when it comes to articles in the mag from month to month and I have to say that, personally, I didn't enjoy the Kubrick article at all.

I found it highly speculative and a bit thin of substance, basically I ended up with a "so what?" feeling. I found it disappointing that the author's evidence, as it were, was held elsewhere on a couple of conspiracy websites, particularly the Apollo stuff. I'd have much preferred a quick summary than a couple of sentences basically (paraphrasing here)saying "Kubrick is said to have faked the moon landing for NASA, here's a website that provides details on it".

I've not seen the film Room 237 - I've struggled to get through The Shining many times, so the thought of a feature length documentary on it *shudder*. For anyone that has seen Room 237, would viewing it provide for a better understanding of the article? Does it have the Apollo hoax explained for instance?

It also might be because I'm not that big a fan of Kubrick on the whole.

His films - well I've seen them at one time or another. Some like 2001 and Dr Strangelove I've even enjoyed but on the whole I've seldom re-watched them to any great degree. Having done a film appreciation course many, many years ago I think I've developed a bit of resistance to films and directors labelled as "must see" and "greatest ever".

As said I fully appreciated that it's always difficult to please everyone.

Just got home and was suprised to see it here, havent read it yet tho.
My subliminal magazine detection system was also caught-out by the unexpected early arrival of FT332. I blame the darker knights and later mournings....

Had I been sovereign lord and master of a thousand men, saddled -up and straining at the leash, awaiting some portent of providence to commence their attack, this simple early arrival of a trusted magazine could've unleashed a mighty force of such unimaginable power as to.....well, I'm not, so they're not, so we're all fine. Probably....

Room 237 does offer a decent background to the FT article, in fact I'd say there would be no article without the documentary. But if you're not interested in Kubrick it'll be pretty tedious, I imagine, though I loved hearing all the wild theories and it's superbly edited.

Elsewhere, I really liked the bread article, it can be very fruitful (breadful?) to take one element and gather up related weirdness.

Room 237 does offer a decent background to the FT article, in fact I'd say there would be no article without the documentary. But if you're not interested in Kubrick it'll be pretty tedious, I imagine, though I loved hearing all the wild theories and it's superbly edited.

Elsewhere, I really liked the bread article, it can be very fruitful (breadful?) to take one element and gather up related weirdness.
Thanks GNC, appreciate the advice about Room 237, I think I'll give it a miss given my somewhat shallow interest in Kubrick. Now if someone did a documentary saying Alfred Hitchcock or Gerry Anderson faked the moon landings, I'd probably be there like a shot. :)

I did like that bread article too. I think the photo of the puzzled farmer with the Unidentified Flapjack Object was one of the first UFO related images I can remember FWIW I think it must have been in a Readers Digest book of the unexplained a relative once owned.

The best bit of the UFO flapjacks story was the report they tasted pretty bad, because that means space aliens are rubbish cooks and also that someone was brave enough to eat one to find out what it tasted like.

The best bit of the UFO flapjacks story was the report they tasted pretty bad, because that means space aliens are rubbish cooks and also that someone was brave enough to eat one to find out what it tasted like.
I love that story. It's fairly unique in UFO lore.

I think the best two things about the bread article (which I quite enjoyed) is, firstly, that someone's written an article about bread in entity encounters (and found someone to publish it), and, secondly, it's excerpted from an entire book on the subject.

Keen for my copy to arrive this week! I need my Fortean Fix!

I may just be being thick but this has confused me. Was it a different lambs leg the April before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 17
And if it was a different lamb's leg, what happened to the rest of the animal? Sacrificed to the killer's tummy with mint sauce?

Just started reading it.

The Messenger (film review) sounds interesting, as does Infini even though it only gets 5/10.

Cannibal Roundup has good stories, especially Gregory Hale: fired from slaughterhouse when he was found performing a ritual with animal parts. And the Pakistani brothers who cooked odd curries.

A jaundiced eye is cast on the Riviera Robberies carried out by "gassers". A cynic might suggest "insurance jobs".

My copy has just arrived, but haven't read it yet! Looks good, though!

Finally got around to reading the rest of this issue. Thought it strange that HP Lovecraft's story "Herbert West - Reanimator" wasn't mentioned in the "Night Doctors" piece.

Hello all,
I've misplaced my copy of FT332, and I was wondering if anyone could refresh my memory - what were the two cryptozoology books covered in Fortean Library?
And on a similar note, did the first instalment of that series in FT332 cover a specific book, or was it more of a general introduction?

Hello all,
I've misplaced my copy of FT332, and I was wondering if anyone could refresh my memory - what were the two cryptozoology books covered in Fortean Library?
And on a similar note, did the first instalment of that series in FT332 cover a specific book, or was it more of a general introduction?

"Goatman: Flesh or Folklore" by J. Nathan Couch and "Lake Monster Traditions" by Michael Meurger.

Back