• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT333

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
It graced the doormat this morning, with a striking cover illustration of the Scape Ore lizard man. As a cryptid fan, I'm looking forward to that article. Also, I'm excited to read about the strange antics of the Strangest Family in England. Otherwise, few things stand out to me from this issue, so I'll have to dig deeper to find the gems.

I just got home to find it now, and i must admit, like you, i am looking forward to reading about the strange family

Just got it. Flicking through the image of Jimmy Page caught my eye. Looking forward to that piece. From what I recall Page always laughed that story off as if Anger wasn't a threat, magickally speaking.

Not much chat about this issue? The Lizard Man was an effective demolition job, but I tend to think these things are more to do with the tourist industries these days. Liked reading about Dame Edith Sitwell, I know her from movies but not her family connections. But the article that was most interesting, and caught me by mild surprise, was the JFK records one, really interesting ephemera and worth an hour or two on YouTube, I think.

Well they sold enough phone cases to get inside front cover billing. Who buys these things?

I read the Jimmy Page article today. What an absolute load of bollocks. I expected something new, or at least an interesting piece. What we got was a very basic rundown of what supposedly happened with a couple of extended Mick Wall quotes thrown in, as if Mick Wall is any authority.
The writer even threw in that old bullshit line about the band being cursed and including Plant's son dying. Robert Plant must feel like killing every person that rehashes that crap.

Truly the worst "article" I have EVER read in Fortean Times.

Last edited:
Read the Lizard Man piece today. It was interesting but...is it just me or has everything nowadays lost its mystery? The article pretty much debunks the lizard man and I ended up wishing the story had been better attested and left more of a possibility it was true.
Seems like, in the past 10 years or so, every interesting story - including the entire field of UFOlogy - has lost its mystery. Nothing seems believable any more and it's sad. Am I just getting old and cynical? :(

Seems like, in the past 10 years or so, every interesting story - including the entire field of UFOlogy - has lost its mystery. Nothing seems believable any more and it's sad. Am I just getting old and cynical? :(
Join the club!

I read far fewer threads here than I used to. To an old hand like me, there's too much 'same old, same old'. I avoid some posters and threads because experience has shown they're a waste of my time. Misguided at best, fuckwitted at worst.

Am I just getting old and cynical? :(

Don't ever lose faith in the infinite depths of possibility. Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence. And of course you're getting old...older, that is. Like all of us here in existence, at this instant: we are enormously-privileged to own the present.

Don't ever lose faith in the infinite depths of possibility.
I don't, which is why I'm still here.

In fact, as someone with a science education, I'm probably more aware of those 'infinite depths of possibility' than most of the woo-woos! :twisted:

I want a woo-woo. Please enter me in the fostering competition.

My mother stood in a queue behind Edith Sitwell. Allegedly.

I very much liked the article on the Sitwell family. The illustrations were good, too. Lovely old portrait photographs of the talented and odd Sitwells.

You mean I rolled up a trouser leg and exposed a nipple for nothing?!

The Albino Acolytes have been dispatched.
They sound like a 1950s era non-Hispanic street gang, escaping slowwly from the set of West Side Story on a fleet of mopeds.

Or, potentially a group of community outreach white supremacists, who give anti-discrimatory group presentations about UV protection and the potential misinterpretations that can befall hooded headgear.

Think yourself lucky you didn't get the dead pig's head!
Indeed, my bacon's been saved. Generally, if things ever do come to a head, it's better to just keep on moving down the line.

Remember how at one time Cameron wanted everyone to join his 'big society', and to have a big conversation with all the little people out there?

Now we see his initiation antics show him to have been a bit of a ham all along. And, we can all now understand what he meant, when he said he wanted everyone in society to get ahead.

But remember: First Rule of Fight Club - never talk about Fight Club. Second Rule of Fight Club - never stir things up by making the sign of the spoon. Third Rule of Fight Club - either you're part of the solution, or part of the precipitate.

...My mother stood in a queue behind Edith Sitwell. Allegedly.

Trying to imagine Edith Sitwell in a queue is oddly difficult. I especially liked the detail in that article about the chap who became a vegetarian after accidentally eating his cat. I mean, I'm sure we're all prone to the odd bout of absent mindedness - but that's truly impressive.

Enjoyed the Fortean Follow Up! Always a welcome sight in this Humble House!

Yes, but it's supposed to be your own nipple.

And your own trouser leg.

How did the police interview go, by the way?

I'm guessing the same way it normally goes for me!:revelry:

Back