• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT337

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Pleased to see this arrive this morning, on an unseasonably spring like day.

Ghostwatch might be interesting again this month, exploring the Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford, a pretty town which I know a little.

Dr Shuker has good news for Nessie hunters in Alien Zoo; seems there was a bubble of interesting sightings in 2015. The opposite page has some spider stories I'll look forward to reading, scary though I find the little critters.

Mythconceptions rapidly dismisses the myth that sharks don't get cancer; it sounds as though it was a marketing ploy, and not one from which sharks profit.:(

If there is anything left to be said about Rendlesham Forest, Jenny Randles is undoubtedly the person to say it. I'm a little fatigued by it at this stage but will read the second part of her UFO Casebook on its origins.

Answers to our questions about gothic romance from Maria J Perez Cuervo look interesting.

The Welsh Neanderthals article looks fun. It seems to cover a lot of subjects.

The American Psychos feature is timely for those of us baffled by the lunacy surrounding American elections.

It looks a varied issue this month, with no particular theme standing out. Enjoy!

Just flicked through it and I have to say it looks like another issue I won't get much out of. The three main articles don't interest me in the slightest and last month's issue was the same. Add to that the usual movie reviews, Alien Zoo and Classical Corner and I'm starting to think I should bin the subscription and just buy individual issues that look interesting.
:(

I've felt like this in the past over the years though, and usually there's a good run of issues full of stuff that really grabs me so hopefully that happens again!

BTW - 0n the reviews. Was Graham Hancock's new book, Magicians of the Gods ever reviewed in FT? Seems to me like there's a whole lot of books out there - like that one - that might interest Forteans. I'd much rather read reviews about books like that than horror movies or Star Wars.

Still reading last months, as it arrived nearly three weeks late!

Just been reading the Gothic article, really excellent, I love an article that makes me think about something established, even clichéd, in a new way. Don't know why they didn't just use the same cover over and over for those books, though. Oh, they did.

IHTM, thought this was much of a muchness till I got to the simple but effective final letter. Though maybe the figure at the window might have been a burglar.

Got mine yesterday but that came directly from the FT office as I have a book review in this issue, sub still hasn't arrived.

Some interesting bits about people "allergic" to electricity & WiFi.

More Red Mercury fun, ISIS fooled this time. Or maybe the whole story is a hoax.

Couple of short pieces on ancient agriculture, hunter-gatherers ground oats into flour 32,000 years ago and the origins of plant cultivation may be pushed back to 21,000 BC.

Plenty of classical oaths from Barry Baldwin.

Still have to read most of it.

The Welsh Neanderthal article was very interesting, but maybe I missed something: who was the Neanderthal in the photo, then?

Interesting letter about giants and hoaxes in pg73.

Is there anyway I can view the letters from issues 215 & 217 they are referring to?

More Red Mercury fun, ISIS fooled this time. Or maybe the whole story is a hoax.

It Is, is, of course, a hoax. All of it.

Some interesting bits about people "allergic" to electricity & WiFi.
Why oh why can't this be tested for, in double- blind tests? And either put to bed, now, or confirmed as an actual physiological effect? I could do this, to a peer-publishable level, in a week.

Got mine yesterday but that came directly from the FT office as I have a book review in this issue, sub still hasn't arrived.
Really? Well done you! Must retrieve my copy from the loan-drone I entrusted it to. I tend to just skim book reviews unless there's an overt hook for me

It Is, is, of course, a hoax. All of it.

I agree Red Mercury is a hoax, I just meant the entire story may have been invented.

Why oh why can't this be tested for, in double- blind tests? And either put to bed, now, or confirmed as an actual physiological effect? I could do this, to a peer-publishable level, in a week.

Imho its more likely a psychological disorder. But tests would help.

Really? Well done you! Must retrieve my copy from the loan-drone I entrusted it to. I tend to just skim book reviews unless there's an overt hook for me

I already posted a version of the review here, on Philby.

I see the Hidden Masters have a full page ad! Promising to teach you arcane secrets; no dilettantes need apply though.

In the reviews Crimson Peak gets 8/10. A reviewer with good taste!

The Survivalist, post-apocalypse film looks interesting. Opening at IFI next Friday.

That account of what happened in Estonia in WW2 in IHTM lead to a wave of hoping the aliens come and obliterate humanity....

Good issue - lots of interest to me this month!

Mine was finally in the post box today, looks good so far! Not a thin issue if you know what I mean, lots going on.

Classical Corner is usually the only place in the mag where you'll find a swearword, but Baz surpassed himself this issue with a column devoted to turning the air (and page) blue. I don't know where he can go from here, he's reached some kind of zenith.

I have to eat my earlier words. I've read most of this issue now and loved it.
Good job FT!

Incidentally, Rev, the shocks in Ghost Story were provided by Dick Smith, not Dick Miller. Though if Mr Miller had been in it, it would have been a lot more entertaining.

The best issue for a long time. Lots of interesting stuff in this one.
I was very please to see Benjamin Jesty getting a mention, seeing as how he is a distant relative and I grew up in his home village.

I had to look up Benjamin Jesty, so that's something I learned today. Surprised I hadn't heard of him before, as I spent a lot of time in Dorset.

Spent all night reading FT last night, simply too good to put down - and not a blessed/damned thing to watch on TV...

We were taught about him at school Rynner as he was a local hero. We were also taught about the unfairness of the whole situation. A surprisingly scientific small village. The local school was founded by Robert Boyle - as in Boyle's Law.

BTW - 0n the reviews. Was Graham Hancock's new book, Magicians of the Gods ever reviewed in FT? Seems to me like there's a whole lot of books out there - like that one - that might interest Forteans.

I agree - I've been looking out for a review of this, especially when mainstream coverage is usually strongly biased, to downright slanderous, against Hancock. I was really hoping for a review of Bruce Robinson's They all Love Jack too. I've just finished it, and it seems to me pretty definitive; an incredible piece of work. It must surely warrant a mention in Fortean Times at least. Jack the Ripper's always been considered something of a fortean subject, I thought. There was a short article on the last well-publicised (and quickly discredited) book, Kosminski again as the (hopeless) candidate. I'd love to see the occasional interview with some of the authors of books that are given good reviews in FT, too. I'm sure many would jump at the chance.

Just flicked through it and I have to say it looks like another issue I won't get much out of. The three main articles don't interest me in the slightest and last month's issue was the same. Add to that the usual movie reviews, Alien Zoo and Classical Corner and I'm starting to think I should bin the subscription and just buy individual issues that look interesting.
:(

I've felt like this in the past over the years though, and usually there's a good run of issues full of stuff that really grabs me so hopefully that happens again!

BTW - 0n the reviews. Was Graham Hancock's new book, Magicians of the Gods ever reviewed in FT? Seems to me like there's a whole lot of books out there - like that one - that might interest Forteans. I'd much rather read reviews about books like that than horror movies or Star Wars.

Graham Hancock ‏@Graham__Hancock 2h2 hours ago
I'll be speaking at the Aye Write Book Festival in Glasgow, Thurs 10 March, 7.30-8.30 pm: http://www.ayewrite.com/Pages/Whats-On.aspx#/event/d29fe631-b29b-4ba6-9ce5-a59c00e4ebfb…

Quite enjoyed the Gothic Romance section, and am looking forward to an upcoming issue featuring Gothic Bromance!

Gothic Bromance is another Message Board entirely! Not that there's anything wrong with that!:D

I agree - I've been looking out for a review of this, especially when mainstream coverage is usually strongly biased, to downright slanderous, against Hancock. I was really hoping for a review of Bruce Robinson's They all Love Jack too. I've just finished it, and it seems to me pretty definitive; an incredible piece of work. It must surely warrant a mention in Fortean Times at least. Jack the Ripper's always been considered something of a fortean subject, I thought. There was a short article on the last well-publicised (and quickly discredited) book, Kosminski again as the (hopeless) candidate. I'd love to see the occasional interview with some of the authors of books that are given good reviews in FT, too. I'm sure many would jump at the chance.
I've heard that the most likely candidate for Jack the Ripper is Michael Maybrick also known as Stephen Adams who wrote "Oh Star of Bethlehem". I wonder if there would be much to gain from purchasing his work from eBay etc?

Interesting thought Grace Garland :)

Back