• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT338

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Just been reading the new ish, David Bowie and his weirdness is the main article, not bad but mostly a bunch of anecdotes. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does make me sad we can't ask him what he really meant anymore.

Also, a historical UFO/fireball, the new X-Files, and a Simulacra Corner featuring a photo of someone going home with a shopping bag and hood up that someone thinks is a ghostly monk.

Mine came this morning, looking forward to the X-Files piece. As long as they're not just ripping it apart (that last episode about the guy turning into a lizard man WAS pretty shit though).
Hope the Bowie piece is good - the only anecodte I've ever read about him as a "magus" was Jimmy Page saying Bowie was terrified of his magic powers and ran away from him or something.

Still waiting for the postman to drop off my copy, sounds like an interesting issue so far though.

Hoo boy, Ghost Watch did NOT like that Harry Price TV show on ITV recently! Glad I didn't watch it now.

I enjoyed this issue. I particularly liked the article about the witch cult of Chiloé Island.

My copy is also missing in action.
It takes 4 working days for a letter from France to get to Cork, and U.K. letters sometimes a week, but come to think of it isn't FT sent from another country entirely? Like Switzerland?

Amusing typo in obit for Nancy Sandars which made me chuckle, apparently the sea peoples were given to navel raiding.

"Your fluff is mine!"

May I be the first to say.....laptop.

The one obviously sent back in time, or left behind by an alien executive, late for a meeting on Easter Island.

It's an intriging image, viewed in profile. Do we conclude that it's not unique, that there are other classical era artworks that have similar representations of lookalike objets d'art, thus harmlessly and inarguably confirming it as just being a mirror / parchment / slate / cosmetics case??

Without USB ports.....?

It's only an obvious laptop if nobody anywhere in the history of the world pre-21st century has ever made a flat box with a lid on it. Which is harder to believe than it being a picture of a laptop.

Ugh, Venus the split face tortoiseshell and white cat is NOT a chimaera, her owner has never had her genetically tested, neither of the cats shown are chimaeras, it is normal for tortoiseshell cats to have a divided face like that, some are more striking than others, Harlequin rabbits and merle dogs will also show a split face like that though the mechanism for the colouring is different. I wish people would stop assuming animals with split faces markings are Chimaeras, it isn't diagnostic at all.
This cat is definitely a chimaera and he doesn't have much of a split face
nmNHgpJ.jpg

I thought this issue was rather meh except for Mike Dash's article. Even the had an article in the bit about the deformities that were forced on the children. (which I would have liked to have had a little warning before it as it was very graphic).
To be honest the rest that I have read so far is rather dull.

I haven't read the main articles yet but I liked the Ballard/Reagan article and the Automatic Leprechaun piece, I think I stayed in the same youth centre in the 80s. No Fortean outbreaks to report.

The Tesla bio, History Of Redheads, A Colourful History Of Popular Delusions and Revisiting The Nazi Occult (in the Book Reviews section) all sound interesting.

Nancy Sanders in the Necrolog was really an all rounder. Dispatch rider and then code-breaker in WW2; Archaeologist, Ancient Historian, translator of Gilgamesh Epic (still in print) and she lived to 101!

Till I read 338, I thought the line in the David Bowie song was you gotta make way for a homo experience.... well, you live and learn. Speaking of which...

One interesting snippet the author seemed to miss. I remember reading an autobiography of the self-styled "Queen of the Witches", I think this was Maxine Saunders, who clearly said Bowie had dabbled in witchcraft in the very early 1970's, being involved in one of her covens. Ms Saunders, I recall, was also aerated at allegations against her husband, the self-styled High Priest Of all Covens and Witch King, that he was gay because he'd had a sexual relationship with Bowie. She didn't deny the relationship at all, indignantly pointing out at the same time that her husband was 100% hetero male. As proof of this proposition, she pointed out that in ritualised sex acts between her hubby and Bowie, Hubby had always been the dominant partner, delivering the penetration, whereas Bowie was the gay one for receiving it. Thus proving Hubby's 100% heterosexuality, apparently. And besides, it had all been done for high magickal purposes and not for any sort of gay sex thrill. I thought even then the lady was protesting too much, and wasn't exactly helping her case...

Last edited:
Oh, and the simulacrum on page 71 purporting to be a hooded and cowled figure on Simonsway, Manchester. I've just been "driving" up and down Simonsway on Google Maps loooking for the location. it's a long, long road, but much of it is light industrial or retail and only a few blocks of housing fit the type shown in the picture. And there's an electrical support pole for the Manchester Metro in shot (the tramway runs just out of sight on the left of the published pic) which defines the side of the road you need to be looking at. Travel down Simonsway on Google Street View with the Metro tram line on your LEFT. Watch the buildings on your RIGHT. Now the Google Maps images were taken in April 2015 with far better light than prevailed in Jan 2016. (albeit from a higher angle than you'd get in a car). You can see, just next to what looks like a public footpath meeting the main road which is protected by railings and barriers, a group of houses corresponding to those in the simulacrum shot. In bright spring sunshine, it becomes easy to see the "body" of the cowled monk is a tree, or bush, of the weeping willow variety overhanging a high wall. In the lighting conditions of January 2016, the wall and the tree became one indeterminate dark blob. And the "bag" the spectre was carrying, in this light, is part of the barrier there to prevent kids and cyclists running straight off the footpath into a very busy road. But as the editor says, "we may never know for certain"

My copy arrived today. I shall make a pot of tea and sit up in bed reading what promises to be a brilliant read!

A pot of tea and Fortean Times? Very English!

Oh, and the simulacrum on page 71 purporting to be a hooded and cowled figure on Simonsway, Manchester. I've just been "driving" up and down Simonsway on Google Maps loooking for the location. it's a long, long road, but much of it is light industrial or retail and only a few blocks of housing fit the type shown in the picture. And there's an electrical support pole for the Manchester Metro in shot (the tramway runs just out of sight on the left of the published pic) which defines the side of the road you need to be looking at. Travel down Simonsway on Google Street View with the Metro tram line on your LEFT. Watch the buildings on your RIGHT. Now the Google Maps images were taken in April 2015 with far better light than prevailed in Jan 2016. (albeit from a higher angle than you'd get in a car). You can see, just next to what looks like a public footpath meeting the main road which is protected by railings and barriers, a group of houses corresponding to those in the simulacrum shot. In bright spring sunshine, it becomes easy to see the "body" of the cowled monk is a tree, or bush, of the weeping willow variety overhanging a high wall. In the lighting conditions of January 2016, the wall and the tree became one indeterminate dark blob. And the "bag" the spectre was carrying, in this light, is part of the barrier there to prevent kids and cyclists running straight off the footpath into a very busy road. But as the editor says, "we may never know for certain"

Just been having a look myself. Does seem most likely that it is the hedge on the nearside of the fence, in the top image (below) you can see the trees behind are slightly higher and tiered back so with the right light casting shadow on them you could easily get a hooded figure.

The bottom image shows it is a pretty creepy lane, one ideal for a cowled figure, but he would be around 9 foot tall if coming from there. Doesn't seem to fit perspective either if it was someone nearer the car walking towards the accident on the grass verge.

14712820_10154455657081352_2020641979399348312_o.jpg

Back