• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT340

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Oooh! Ghostwatch This month is about East Anglia's black dogs, one of my favourite folklore subjects.:)

The cover story is about the recent surge in celebrity deaths, and Randy Quaid's opinion of who the perpetrators are.

Hambling's Science column explores the 'science' behind Tesla's Wardenclyffe tower. I doubt his conclusions will surprise many, but hopefully some of the hazy ideas surrounding this project will be dismissed.

Simon Young's folklore column contain some oddly chilling bogies imagined by our ancestors as haunting the country roads.

Apparently, Edgar Allan Poe was aware of the multiple moons of Neptune prior to their discovery. I'll read that article with interest.

It Happened To Me contains disquieting encounters.

Oooh! Ghostwatch This month is about East Anglia's black dogs, one of my favourite folklore subjects.:)

The cover story is about the recent surge in celebrity deaths, and Randy Quaid's opinion of who the perpetrators are.

Hambling's Science column explores the 'science' behind Tesla's Wardenclyffe tower. I doubt his conclusions will surprise many, but hopefully some of the hazy ideas surrounding this project will be dismissed.

Simon Young's folklore column contain some oddly chilling bogies imagined by our ancestors as haunting the country roads.

Apparently, Edgar Allan Poe was aware of the multiple moons of Neptune prior to their discovery. I'll read that article with interest.

It Happened To Me contains disquieting encounters.

Any sign of my letter about my late granddad's little gnome sighting Pete?

Any sign of my letter about my late granddad's little gnome sighting Pete?
I'm sorry, I can't see a gnome sighting in this issue's letter pages. Shame, I'd like to read about it. I like a little people sighting. Hopefully next month.

This sounds like an issue really worth reading!

Hmm. Mine normally arrives as one of the first of the forum members but it's not turned up yet...

Neither has mine, but using my Holmesian powers of deduction I surmise maybe it's not reached our neck of the woods yet? Bit annoying, though.

Mine arrived yesterday. Only just started reading it.

Necrolog is interesting, nice tribute to Melanie Billings of The Anomalist.

Some good Country Monsters in Fairies, Folklore And Forteana. The Verst-Coloured Rabbit!

Bah, mine still hasn't arrived. It's actually a gift subscription my mum gets for me as part of my Xmas so I can't even check if it's lapsed. Very unusual for it not to be here by now. :fckpc:

Still no sign of mine either, and it's a bank holiday so it might be Tuesday before it arrives, maybe later. Did the delivery van to the West of Scotland break down?

The advert for the Cheltenham Science Festival on page 13 looks like it was designed by Scarfolk Council.

Yes. When I first saw it I did a double-take thinking it might be a spoof - there is a sort of Look Around You vibe going on there.

Well, Tuesday arrived and... the new FT didn't. When should I start getting concerned?

Well, Tuesday arrived and... the new FT didn't. When should I start getting concerned?

Well, hope it arrives soon - it's worth the wait. I've really thoroughly enjoyed the last two issues, especially this one.

And I decided that I was going to deal with Rendlesham by leaving it until all the information was there, and then read it in one go; sometimes continuity makes a subject you don't necessarily automatically find enthralling much more digestible than episodic stop-starting. I'm going to give it some time...when I've got some time.

It's finally arrived here. Loved the sidebar thing about the country in Europe thats (second) most reluctant to donate blood - as Rumania. The nation least likely to volunteer to donate blood - Hungary, by any chance? (Transylvania's right between the two...)

Turns out my gift subscription had lapsed! It's set up again now and I bought a copy of this issue in WH Smith's today.
Looks a good one!

Turns out my gift subscription had lapsed! It's set up again now and I bought a copy of this issue in WH Smith's today.
Looks a good one!

I'm happy for you but unhappy for me! AgProv gives me hope, he's in a kind of Northern location. Maybe tomorrow.

It was incredibly late getting to WH Smug's in Stockport. Maybe it's filtered further north by now? Incidentally, the article on Manx sprites. An issue or two ago we were talking Alan Garner. And in 340, the original Fenodyree turns up...

I liked the Randy Quaid story - haven't had such a good laugh in a long time!

IHTM section had some good accounts this issue, especially liked the bald long-armed entity spinning on a dark country lane. Gibbering Insanity forteana was getting a bit thin recently, glad to see some fresh stuff.

I've been enjoying this issue. Glad I picked it up after missing my subs issue. But unlike some of you, I didn't like the IHTMs. They read too much like fiction for me, I prefer it when they're not quite as weird or exciting but a bit more plausible and less polished.

Did you ever get your copy GNC?

*deep sigh* No, I didn't, so yesterday I phoned up a very nice man at the FT (or whatever call centre Dennis use) and he told me a replacement would be with me in seven days. So unless I'm double-unlucky, I should finally be reading it by the weekend. But thanks for asking, it has been a difficult time as I'm sure you can understand.

*deep sigh* No, I didn't, so yesterday I phoned up a very nice man at the FT (or whatever call centre Dennis use) and he told me a replacement would be with me in seven days. So unless I'm double-unlucky, I should finally be reading it by the weekend. But thanks for asking, it has been a difficult time as I'm sure you can understand.

And if your tripley lucky, you'll also get the new issue the same day as your double issue of 340!

I didn't want to start the 'FT341' thread, because I know some people treat it as a bit of a friendly rush to be the first, and I always seem to get my copy early (I've had FT341 for a couple of days now). But anyway, FrKadash, your grandfather's sighting is in IHTM on page 74. Nice one!
highfivesmilie_zpswvao1lqj.gif

I picked this up yesterday, we are pretty behind in Canada land. I am sure it is terrible "drugged out dreck" but I totally want to see Randy Quaid's Star Whackers movie. Good issue though I only skimmed most of it so far

Back