• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT342

No, I pronounce suite as "sweet", like any normal person does...

Each to their own. And if there was a nice piece of furniture you particularly liked, that would still be rendered as a 'sweet sweet', and not even slightly a 'sweet soô-eet'?

Just on a semi-related note, presumably if you were pronouncing the French word for the affirmative, you'd similarly just go straight for "wee", and absolutely no hint of the rounded "ooh-ee" style?

In order to pronounce oui correctly, your lips have to be rounded and very tensed. The shape of your lips before you pronounce oui should feel almost as though you are going to whistle instead of speak.
http://french.lovetoknow.com/french-phrases/how-say-yes-french

It's seemingly taking a hammering in France as well (oui being frequently-displaced by ouais, which to anglophonic ears sounds like a flat-lipped 'way' versus 'wee'...

Sweet...

ps @McAvennie do you have any takes on this?)

My dad managed a furniture shop. A three piece suite was always pronounced 'sweet'.
(At least it distinguished it from a three-piece suit - 'soo't'! :evil:

I just came here to make a related observation, having just watched and read about today's Austrian Grand Prix - "Grosser Preis von Osterreich"!

Anyway, Lewis Hamilton won, which was clearly a Good Thing! :D

(No flightless birds or marine bivalves were harmed in the making of this post! :p )

I really enjoyed the article on fashions in fortean themed tv. Always good to have giggle at Most Haunted. Who can fail to remember Derek in the search for Dick Turpin's ghost; "Mary loves Dick! Mary loves Dick!"...

It seems the same with books. I love a good ghost story, but werewolves and zombies seem to be the thing..Before that it was bloody vampires! So now I'm writing the book I'd like to read,, haha (manic cackle)
Anyway, great article, Stu Neville, really made me think how there are fads in the paranormal as in anything else.

Who can fail to remember Derek in the search for Dick Turpin's ghost; "Mary loves Dick! Mary loves Dick!"...

Part of the York Dungeon experience requires you, or rather it did when I went, to shout out as loud as you can, "I love Dick!" in the hope that his ghost will appear.

Part of the York Dungeon experience requires you, or rather it did when I went, to shout out as loud as you can, "I love Dick!" in the hope that his ghost will appear.
How naff is that?!

I've only ever encountered one pub called the Ostrich, in Ipswich

There is an Ostrich pub in Prestwich. I don't suppose that one is derived from Oysters. It faces Heaton Park, not a sea-front in miles! It has a certain half-rhyme with the name of the town itself, I suppose.

Actually, I see it derives from Ostrich Lane, which raises the question of when Ostriches last roamed there . . . :huh:

It seems to have been one of the oldest lanes in the town.
But this page reveals that an earlier Ostrich Inn is now known as The Church Inn. I wish I hadn't started this. :cry:

Now I see that The Church Inn has a reputation as a haunted Inn! Yes, I think I should have remembered that!

Which is - nearly - where we came Inn! :p

Last edited:
My favourite articles of 342 were Malaysian hysteria/ghosts by Bob Rickard, British MIBs by Jenny Randles, and Fortean TV by Stu Neville. Daniel King's film review made me laugh, and I was grabbed by the accounts of sight being restored to the blind through accidents. I liked the cover too.

I just came here to make a related observation, having just watched and read about today's Austrian Grand Prix - "Grosser Preis von Osterreich"!

Anyway, Lewis Hamilton won, which was clearly a Good Thing! :D

(No flightless birds or marine bivalves were harmed in the making of this post! :p )

Hmm. That well-known American-Austrian heavy rock band, the Blue Österreich Cult..... Osterreich boys are swimming for me/Save me from the death-like creatures... Don't Fear The Bivalve?

I just read another bit of this FT and i must admit i loved Stu Nevilles piece, made me laugh out loud, he was bang on about most haunted and altho i have never watched Finding Bigfoot, he still made me laugh :D Thanks Stu :D

Each to their own. And if there was a nice piece of furniture you particularly liked, that would still be rendered as a 'sweet sweet', and not even slightly a 'sweet soô-eet'?

Just on a semi-related note, presumably if you were pronouncing the French word for the affirmative, you'd similarly just go straight for "wee", and absolutely no hint of the rounded "ooh-ee" style?

http://french.lovetoknow.com/french-phrases/how-say-yes-french

It's seemingly taking a hammering in France as well (oui being frequently-displaced by ouais, which to anglophonic ears sounds like a flat-lipped 'way' versus 'wee'...

Sweet...

ps @McAvennie do you have any takes on this?)

Yeh, I always say ouias rather than oui. I noticed soon after moving here that most people said way instead of wee when saying yes. I was told it was a more laid back way of saying yes, like a yep or a yeh.

As for suite, I'm afraid I have to go with the masses. "Toute de suite" the suite would be sweet or more suweet when the French drag out the word.

Back