• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT348

XEPER_

Death to all but metal
Just came in! Krampus on the cover, more of the clowns which don't seem to be in the news now and what looks a really interesting article with some worms. :cool:

Just came in!
Ditto snap! The pterodactyls must've dropped mine through the letterbox just after yours.

It helps restore my faith in the powers of darkness that within the space of single morning, every single FT subscriber* in the entire world gets their edition delivered, almost simultaneously....and be awestruck, you...proletarian physical shoppers, with your....bags and parking and muggers and...shoes!

(* assuming that you did tick the box for scaremail delivery, and not boring-old Ländpøsten)

Got mine just after nine this morning, looking forward to reading it when i get time

I was glad to finally get the article in this months FT. Who's read it? They suggested that they were actually photographs (which were made on glass at the time) however it said that nothing was seen from the inside and surely you'd see something on the reverse of a photographic glass. I want to know if this happened in other countries too. It all seems rather strange. What are anyone else's thoughts?

Only done a quick flick through, but looks interesting.

A review of Owen Hopkins book on Hawksmoor, which I mentioned back here.

Also, two other book related items: I was sad to see that Richard Whittington-Egan and Richard Cavendish had died this year (I missed both notices in the mainstream press). Whittington-Egan will probably be well known to Ripperologists - but I'm more familiar with his excellent William Roughead’s Chronicles of Murder. And Cavendish’s, King Arthur and the Grail is possibly one of the first ‘grown-up’ non-fiction books I ever bought (and which is still in my bookcase something like thirty five years after I bought it on a family holiday in York – along with Janet and Colin Bord’s Mysterious Britain).

For all the words - thank you both.

I've read about half of it now, as alluded to on other threads I found the Krampus article very informative and the windowpane ghosts piece was fascinating. The more I read about Eastern European politics, the more I worry for the world, however.

Only disappointments so far: no Mythconceptions, no IHTM. I had that renamed UK edition of Keel's Mothman Prophecies, though! Got it second hand.

Finally got around to reading the Krampus article. It was great fun!

A spooky iPod would have been a lot better. You know one that does what it likes. Like my iPhone when it set an alarm at 4am just to drive me bonkers.

The Hunt Emerson comic about Agrippa provided another insight into where Terry Pratchett got his ideas from: the young sorceror's apprentice who gets eaten alive by demons summoned from the grimoire. Very Discworld: you can see this in Pratchett's creation of Unseen University, where if a student wizard is not careful, the books of magic will read him! They say Pratchett was amazingly well-read and insisted on his fantasy world having depth and reality - drawn from the folklore and mysticism of our world. (thinks: write an article and submit it to FT on the Fortean aspects of the Discworld? Fort himself is referenced at least once. Was TP an FT reader?)

anymore info on the wollaton park gnomes in this issue? (I live nearby) i'll pick up a copy if it isn't just rehashed material from old issues.. thanks.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive (curse you, slow moving Australia Post!), although with the mad rush leading up to Christmas, I don't have the time to read it just yet, although it would be nice to have it set aside, waiting for a perusal on Christmas Night, after everyone has gone home!

anymore info on the wollaton park gnomes in this issue? (I live nearby) i'll pick up a copy if it isn't just rehashed material from old issues.. thanks.

More or less a plea to the now-grown up kids who experienced it to get in touch for an interview, so no new information - yet.

All the clowns seem to have cleared off - one wonders what happened to them all...

where is the gnomic piece squirreled away in this issue, cant seem to find it in my copy ...

More or less a plea to the now-grown up kids who experienced it to get in touch for an interview, so no new information - yet.
New information on this case has come to light and is reported on by Simon Young in FT349.

Fantastic news! Unfortunately mine probably won't arrive till next week.

Back