• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT35

GNC

King-Sized Canary
No, I'm not in a time warp, a friend of mine found a copy of FT 35 amongst his clutter and passed it on to me, knowing I collect my back issues. It's from "Summer 1981" and really well preserved, could almost be new.

The lead story is about Spontaneous Human Combustion, a look at a case from the 1700s and a bunch of clippings from then recent cases (surprisingly many, does this not get reported anymore?). Seasoned readers will be pleased that John Michell contributed an article about how Darwin was talking bollocks, and Aleister Crowley get a mention too (something about him being buggered by a goat).

The letter page has two letters from mad people, the second is from a man who controls the weather with his mind (and Mt St Helens, which had recently erupted), and the first I will reprint in full:

"V2 no brain in me. 50,000 microdots.

"June 1970 The Oregon Journal show my brain actions my next five years.

"Particularly December 1980 psychically by ESP foresee F ring Saturn to solve outer twisted ring riddle via Voyager I."

Does that sound like someone channelling a spambot or what?

There's also a great photo of a house chimney that the owner came back home to find has completely twisted around like a corkscrew! The other chimneys were unharmed.

Loads of stuff in spite of it being shorter than what we're used to, a nice trip down memory lane (not that I was reading the mag back in '81). Conspiracies with serial killers, Doc Shiels and his lake monsters, a whole column devoted to strange falls, a compilation of Malaysian weirdness... Reassuring that the FT hasn't changed that much.

What a great find, & that letter was a doozy!

Not sure what to say regarding the Crowley/goat story :shock:

cherrybomb said:

Yeah, we should probably be thankful that hasn't been brought up again!

ramonmercado said:
gncxx said:
cherrybomb said:

Yeah, we should probably be thankful that hasn't been brought up again!

No kidding.

Baa-Humbug!

Isn't this the Puntastic Thread? ( :roll:)

And to think my collection of FT only goes back to early 2001!

I just see that as proof that not one issue has ever been printed with a mention of Crowley.

Back