• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT354

There's an episode of it on this...
Aha, Hartley the Hare....I always was a bit suspicious of him. Cheerful. Enthusiastic. But something of an 'issues magnet', I felt (even when I was a very-junior person, I was probably too dutiful)

Yes - HR Pufnstuf and even Seasame Street were pretty out there.
Oh yeah - I loved HR Pufnstuf. That really was crazy.
Tragic end to that - Jack Wild, the child star, couldn't get any work as an adult and died young. :(

Forgive me if I've got this mixed up, it's a while since I read it, but Amanda Barrie (Cleo in Carry On Cleo) was a presenter on Hickory House around the time she became a lesbian, and Humphrey Cushion's phallic proboscis made her very uncomfortable, she admitted later.

As a child of the eighties, I missed out on this sort of programming, or it didn't air in Australia, so either way, I had to get my Fortean Fix in other ways...

As a child of the eighties, I missed out on this sort of programming, or it didn't air in Australia, so either way, I had to get my Fortean Fix in other ways...

Theres a 'normal' above me, get him :twisted:

And what makes me "normal"? I am just as weird and twisted and delightful as most of the posters on this site:):evil:!;)

I sit corrected sir,so, even without this kind of tv horror you managed to get warped :p

The 'hauntology' definitely resonated with me - but I'm another one not sure if it was the 'era' or simply the way some young minds translate images and ideas into inner thought. I'm a 60's born child but I remember that whole 'I'm going to think I dreamed this' about programmes like 'Ace of Wands' (anyone remember that).

I'm meeting up with my eldest daughter (born 1990) soon, I'm going to ask her if she had the same experience regarding programmes from the noughties. I'm betting she wll have (she's that sort), and I'm putting my money on it being something to do with a particular sort of person internalising images that, because of immaturity, are only partly understood.

The 'hauntology' definitely resonated with me - but I'm another one not sure if it was the 'era' or simply the way some young minds translate images and ideas into inner thought. I'm a 60's born child but I remember that whole 'I'm going to think I dreamed this' about programmes like 'Ace of Wands' (anyone remember that).

I'm meeting up with my eldest daughter (born 1990) soon, I'm going to ask her if she had the same experience regarding programmes from the noughties. I'm betting she wll have (she's that sort), and I'm putting my money on it being something to do with a particular sort of person internalising images that, because of immaturity, are only partly understood.

Report back, catseye... I'd be really interested to know what she said.

I was freaked out by the end of every episode of Romper Room, where Miss Helena would get out her Magic Mirror, spout off some gibberish rhyme, then list off a series of names of the people she could see, then say, "And most important of all, I can see you" - every day (it seemed) she said my name, even if I was hiding behind the lounge, under the table, beside the tv or in some cases, the laundry! Thirty five years later, I am still traumatised by it all...

Well I've talked to my daughter and her friend (both born 1990/1991) about their experiences of TV etc growing up and they seemed to think that there just weren't the 'weird' type of programmes about at that time. We tried to think of a few, but their memory of TV was that programmes seemed overly 'jolly', and the emphasis was on funny-weird rather than weird-weird (think of 'Round the Twist' type programmes). We did have a bit of a discussion on childhood memories that they couldn't remember whether they were dreams or actual memories, which was interesting...

One thing I liked to do when I was a kid was to stay up and watch the late night horror movie on TV, when I was old enough to be awake at that hour anyway. I'm guessing that practice has died out? Because it was a genuine education in strange stories from the '60s and 70s.

Cable in the UK used to have a horror host called 'Deadly Earnest', played by a bloke who popped up later in Corrie, who played Roger Corman films on a Friday night with News of The World favourite Jilly Johnson as his co-host. My mum used to let me stay up and watch it and wait for my Dad to get in from late shift as a Friday treat.

Haunted by Memories of Strange Television Shows?

The link is to the BBC's amazing Genome site. It's a searchable database of the Radio Times from 1923 to 2009.

Warning: Genome is a time-hoover.

It is essentially OCR text with lots of literals. There are no page images, alas but, once you have the facts, you can usually find more information about particular shows on nostalgia sites.

One thing I learned from it is that the number of feature films shown on the BBC was quite limited in the fifties and early sixties: maybe two or three a week, one usually an afternoon weekend matinée. It was the arrival of BBC2 in 1964 which created the need for more films - essentially as fillers.

Some of those early BBC2 schedules reveal an odd assortment of historical documentaries, industrial films and other cheaply-acquired stuff. Soon, the afternoons would be enriched with subtitled films from Europe. This cutting-edge, 625-line channel was already haunted by the past! :oops:

Last edited:
One thing I liked to do when I was a kid was to stay up and watch the late night horror movie on TV, when I was old enough to be awake at that hour anyway. I'm guessing that practice has died out? Because it was a genuine education in strange stories from the '60s and 70s.

I used to do the very same thing during the late 1960s! This is how I succeed to watch all the Corman-Poe films, the classics like Karloff's Frankenstein and a plethora of sea monsters and giant insects.
And there is an extra : during the early 1970s Brazilian TV wasn't 24h straight, so, early in the mornings, we had the color scheme, waiting for the cartoons to show. Well, somebody decided that the color scheme alone was rather dull, so why not playing music as if it was a radio? So they decided to ask a radio DJ, the only available at the time, to provide the music. I remember vividly to be literally tripping to songs like Alex Harvey's Isabel Goudie while waiting to Speed Racer to start.
So I learned to look on the peripheral hours of the day for the real treasures.

I always remember watching Tenko followed by the Horror Double Bill on BBC2 .

I must have started halfway through the 1979 season and remember buying a Radio Times when the 1980 season started because it had Night of the Demon on the cover.
This link lists them -
http://www.worldheadpress.com/bbc2-horror-double-bill-183

I was born in 1977 and I don't remember any of this weird TV. I tended to watch stuff like the A-Team, Knight Rider and The Professionals (which I still watch on Bluray!)
One thing that DOES freak me out a little is my memory of the educational shows they showed in school. I remember the blue screen with a white "clock" ticking round and they would play an acoustic guitar song during it as we waited on the video/program to start.
I would swear blind that piece of music is on Iron Maiden's 1988 album "7th Son of a 7th Son" as an outro to one song, "The Prophecy". You can hear it here at about 4:05

I assume it was something like this and I'm just remembering the music wrong cos I love Maiden although it seems there were different songs so maybe the acoustic piece WAS there somewhere

The clock I remember was only on the right hand of the screen though, going around to about the 9 o'clock position. Again, I assume I'm remembering it falsely.

Hi all,

Just wanted to give my huge thumbs up too for the Haunted Generation article... was probably the best thing I've read in Fortean Times recently, and even "Period".

I suppose that might be because like so many of us posting here, it struck a chord with me too.

Reason for posting today is that I stumbled across a truly great example of the whole genre on Mixcloud;

https://www.mixcloud.com/egress/the-stuff-of-nightmares-vol1/

This audio was put together by one Mark Black over 7 years ago, and consists of old ITV channel identity music, mixed with old children's (and adults) television programme sound tracks known for being "spooky", all stitched together by snippets from the 1975 documentary "The Ghost Hunters".

I've found myself truly scared by this, even at 45 years old. it even had me searching out the old "Frisbee lands in an electrical substation and leads to child electrocution" Public Information Film. I wish I hadn't as it gave me nightmares and I kept hearing the girl screaming "Jimmy!!!!" from the advert for days after. In the mix, this is given an extra dimension by being echoed and looped, in the same way that sounds often appear in dreams (to me at least).

This is the published track list at that link;

Tracklist:

Ident 1
The Ghost Hunters 1
Armchair Thriller
Children of the Stones
The Ghost Hunters 2
Chocky
Dark and Lonely Water
Dark Shadows
The Ghost Hunters 3
Doctor Who (Tom Baker Years)
Ident 2
Hammer House of Horror
Into the Labyrinth
The Ghost Hunters 4
Journey into the Unknown
Near and Far
Out of the Unknown
Picture Box
Children Die at Power Stations
Sapphire and Steel
Ident 3
Tales of the Unexpected
The Ghost Hunters 5
The Book Tower
The Frighteners
The Mad Death
The Stone Tape
The Ghost Hunters 6
The Tomorrow People
Thriller
UFO (End Credits)
The Ghost Hunters 7

I still often find it a struggle to listen to it in its entirety without having to switch it off part-way through, as it's so unnerving. Please do give it a try.

Conversely, but in a similar vein, I can't be the only person who often feels reduced to tears of sadness by silly things like hearing the original London Weekend Television Programme ident. music, simply because of the happy, "carefree" memories it evokes when compared to my life as it is now.

I remember reading somewhere a quote like "With the future unknown, the present so traumatic, is that why we always yearn for the past?"

If you like it enough there are methods to "download" it as a file, or perhaps the author (still active on Mixcloud) will / would make it available if many people contacted them. I could also upload it to Google Drive and share it here, providing there was enough interest and the author was happy.

Regards

James

Last edited:
Ooh, just read this thread from start to finish and it is full of so many wonderful things; public information films (I love watching them on youtube even now) schools programmes, tv idents (back in the day when telly was proper, not this digital malarkey) and even fuzzy felt! Oh the joy, I love reliving things from my childhood.

Big mistake watching the Near and Far theme tune at almost midnight though, jeez that was disturbing! What were they thinking? :eek:

I so want to buy this magazine, but the nearest WH Smith never seems to have it on the shelves nowadays. :mad:

[...]

Big mistake watching the Near and Far theme tune at almost midnight though, jeez that was disturbing! What were they thinking? :eek:

I so want to buy this magazine, but the nearest WH Smith never seems to have it on the shelves nowadays. :mad:

Zebs, yes, that is another one of my memories... that "Near and Far" theme, coupled with the Sci-Fi-like "zooming out" time dilation effect the opening titles employed. Truly terrifying!

With regard to reading Fortean Times, another possibility is using a free online service; for example, Essex County Council Libraries have partnered up now with RBDigital and you can read Fortean Times (an a slew of other titles) online in electronic format for free. Perhaps you have something similar where you live? Even a paid-for subscription to RBDigital or a carrier of FT would be an idea.

See http://libraries.essex.gov.uk/e-books-e-audio-e-magazines-and-book-groups/e-magazines/ for more on that.

Hope it helps.

Regards

James

Main article wasn't quite what I was expecting. Skewed too much on modern musical interpretation of the peculiar sense of 1970s otherworldliness rather than the content and possible causes of it.

On that point, off the top of my head a list of the things that troubled me from that era...
- Worzel Gummidge's heads
- Watership Down
- Stig of the Dump
- Marchpane murdering Bridie in "Tottie"
- Top Trumps Horror cards

We've had discussions on this theme before here...
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/1970s-why-so-dark.9051/

Back