• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT356

Or became a tree surgeon...

I've just been reading the articles (I read the shorter pieces last) and enjoyed the Summer of Love one, it does seem to have been a shortlived supernova of activity that lingered long in the common consciousness, even to this day.

Not sure what the mice forum piece was about, he spends two pages positing what will happen to humans in light of the mice experiment, then tells us it won't anyway in the last paragraph. Looking forward to the letters page about this one!

Speaking of letters, the simulation universe one was inspired!

Loved the Jenny Randles appeal to bring out the strangeness in that 5% of inexplicable UFO cases, her examples were very entertaining. Although the drawing - a Sinclair C5?

The Gef book sounds tempting, but I've so much to read...

Fascinating Ghostwatch on polts, have we ever had such a good pair of cases in the 50 years since? (Nobody mention Enfield!).

I completely agree. The science reported was completely undermined by suggesting vegetarianism and delaying childbirth were new genetic impulses. Still shaking my head and wondering if any of the article is valid.

Haha, lively debate on the letters page there was none! Steve Moore would be spinning in his grave...
There are problems with the mouse utopia article, to be sure, some of which are more implied than stated, and some of which are easily inferred. I hope it will promote lively debate on the letters pages. The thrust of the article is whether the selective pressures society places on human evolution put us on a positive trajectory, something about which I've thought often, and I don't think it can be easily dismissed. Nor do I think talk of political partisanism or eugenics is particularly helpful in discussing the article, emotive though the subject may be.
:hide:

Haha, lively debate on the letters page there was none! Steve Moore would be spinning in his grave...

Well, as issue 357 was being prepared before 356 was released, it would be difficult to include the correspondence on the mice article.

Back