• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT357

One of the stories I heard about him was that he appeared to his friends after his death, standing 60' high on Salisbury Plain. I'd like to see that done!

I'm surprised by the level of anti-Crowley feeling. I don't know any more about him than I read in the magazine though. But for me he came across from that as a bit of an egomaniac and excellent self-publicist, no different to modern 'celebrities'? He just wanted to be mad bad and dangerous to know because he thought it made himself more interesting. Strikes me it was all about self-notoriety or he'd have just been getting on with all his black magic and whathaveyou in a quiet corner somewhere.

There's one thing that keeps baffling me : on an issue with plenty of very interesting features, why is Crowley comics on the cover? Is it a proof that he sells?

In other hand, Phenomenomixes with four or even six pages were not unheard of. If memeory doesn't betrays me, Giordano Bruno deserved four pages (in different issues), Swedenborg, Strindberg, Jung, Blavatsky... all them could have had a special multi-paged comics on a single magazine.

I'm not so anti Crowley as just bit bored of him now, familiarity breeds contempt (although I did enjoy reading about his war involvement and the pranks he played on his neighbours) ..

I'm surprised by the level of anti-Crowley feeling. I don't know any more about him than I read in the magazine though. But for me he came across from that as a bit of an egomaniac and excellent self-publicist, no different to modern 'celebrities'? He just wanted to be mad bad and dangerous to know because he thought it made himself more interesting. Strikes me it was all about self-notoriety or he'd have just been getting on with all his black magic and whathaveyou in a quiet corner somewhere.
Well I think that is the problem. He is the Kim Kardashian of the weird world.

I find his mountaineering exploits interesting though.

George Cecil Jones. He needs an FT feature.

Who's he? Exactly. The quiet modest one in the baxkground who very shrewdly chose to remain grey and anonymous whilst Crowley courted all the notoreity. i can't help suspecting this was deliberate: the attewntion going elsewhere meant nobody was looking at him. He moght have been - in his quiet and inobtrusive way - far more important and significant in Englosh occultism and just quietly got on with it in the background.... AND he also retired to live in Hastings...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cecil_Jones

George Cecil Jones. He needs an FT feature.

Who's he? Exactly. The quiet modest one in the baxkground who very shrewdly chose to remain grey and anonymous whilst Crowley courted all the notoreity. i can't help suspecting this was deliberate: the attewntion going elsewhere meant nobody was looking at him. He moght have been - in his quiet and inobtrusive way - far more important and significant in Englosh occultism and just quietly got on with it in the background.... AND he also retired to live in Hastings...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cecil_Jones

Yes, more of the unknowns please, and less of the endless servings of Crowley!

Yup, more of the unknowns would be nice.

The problem we have is that they may have been less interesting, or scandalous, as people than Crowley was. Sadly, the life story of a dedicated academic makes dull reading! We've found this with such fascinating writers as M.R. James.

Yup, more of the unknowns would be nice.

The problem we have is that they may have been less interesting, or scandalous, as people than Crowley was. Sadly, the life story of a dedicated academic makes dull reading! We've found this with such fascinating writers as M.R. James.

True, although we will never know unless FT provides us with a wide and varied selection of Forteana, be it in glittery form or a beige cardigan!

FT has always brought to my attention Forteana that I had been unaware of, and rehashing Crowley makes me lose the will to live. I would like to know more about people I hadn't heard of that had tinkered on the edge of Forteana, rather than some attention seeking no talent lard sack like Crowley!

We do not fear his heritage, nor his influence, of which he has none. We are tired of this trite little show off being given constant attention when more worthy people can be brought forth. Forteana consists of more than Crowley and John Mitchel.

We do not fear his heritage, nor his influence, of which he has none. We are tired of this trite little show off being given constant attention when more worthy people can be brought forth. Forteana consists of more than Crowley and John Mitchel.

You will be visited by hobgoblins for that!

Wait, wait... Crowley makes just the cover and how many pages, four, six? What about the rest of the magazine? Nothing to counterbalance the Crowleyness on it?

Yeah, I think the Crowley inclusion is being blown out of all proportion. A four page comic strip pisstake on the Beast is not exactly a ringing endorsement, it's the most pages devoted to him in ages, and there are many other articles in the magazine that don't reference him, as usual.

You will be visited by hobgoblins for that!

Tigerhawk is King of the Hobgoblins...

This idea that Crowley is only covered by FT, or followed by people like Jimmy Page, is because he was a weird show-off with a big mouth seems ludicrous to me.
Sure, he was those things, but his writings have real worth. THAT is why he's not been forgotten like so many other occultists and why people still enjoy reading about him.
It's what, four pages in a whole magazine and I honestly don't recall the last time there as a full, proper article on Crowley since I started buying FT over 20 years ago so really, what's the fuss?
I don't like articles on taxidermy, of which there have been a few recently, or Karl Shuker's animal stuff, or horror movie reviews. I just don't read them and enjoy the rest of the mag!
Sheesh, I think I read more about Crowley on this forum with people saying he was a dick than any mentions of him in the actual magazine. :gent:

I liked the letter from the chap writing about the 'Haunted Generation' article who mentions his own 'white whale' - a song about a witch from the kids TV show Words and Pictures.

For some reason that song has stuck in my head as well (from very early 80's I think)

Skip to 6:35.

Forgot how weird Charlie was!

I liked the letter about CERN about to release demons and help bring about the End Of The World. Refreshing to see religious uniqueness get a time to shine...

One of the stories I heard about him was that he appeared to his friends after his death, standing 60' high on Salisbury Plain. I'd like to see that done!

How many kms is that in sausages...?

Sad end to the missing man in Malta. Internet says he was found dead. Oddly, some time later - news article was from Feb 2018 and there is only one I could find referencing it. Not much detail as to wherr he was found etc...

Nothing new on the missing Ukrainian woman from Yorkshire.

Back