• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT362

Yes, mine arrived today, just in time for New Year's reading (is it early? I was expecting it in January). Just read the fairies article, great stuff, lots of high strangeness (and someone getting freaked out by a plastic bag). The kid who was bound and gagged by his father to get him to shut up - did that really happen? That sounds very serious, never mind the fairy folk. Might it not have been a memory of a dream? I'm kind of hoping so.

Today driving from work I thought to myself 'I bet there's a Fortean Times waiting on the doormat for me'. And indeed there was.

I can usually tell, through some pseudosupernatural sensory system.

No hints were received via FTMB, or any other earthly route.

I just hear it singing in the wires, like the Witchita Lineman.

Charles Fort - 'Wild Talents' (1932) said:
My general expression is that all human beings who can do anything; and dogs that track unseen quarry, and homing pigeons, and bird-charming snakes, and caterpillars who transform into butterflies, are magicians.

Extremely well researched article on the airship, though predictably it raised more questions than answers. At least that was to be expected. The voodoo - sorry, vodou - article was also a fine bit of research. I wonder if the cannibalism stigma still exists in modern Haiti? (As if they didn't have enough problems).

Got mine the other day, looks good so far, enjoying the fairy encounters, and good to see a longer section by Jenny Randles!

My copy arrived today, flicked through it, thought the weirdness caused by drinking tea was delightfully odd (and no-one was harmed)

363's out now? Blimey - I've only just got 362. As of today. And there's a new one out? wow.

First thoughts: simon Young's magnificent article on "Modern Fairies". loved it, although the only things I've personally got to add to the party are incredibly tenuous ones - I've had two or three odd dreams in which the Sidhe figured (touches iron), but I doubt these qualify here - they weren't in waking life or in any other form of ASC apart from the one known as "REM Sleep".

Anyway. Don't know if Simon Young reads this bit looking for feedback from readers - I know some authors do and i've had interesting interactions with them in this forum after past FT pieces.

But I've got to alert him to eyewitness account no 357, the one from a reader in remote Oregon, USA. I'm really surprised this correspondent didn't give his by-line as "Colorado", as... well.

I have a little suspicion this might have an element of the spoof about it. A young boy sees processions of tiny elves and gnome-like creatures parading in his bedroom at night, and is disbelieved by his alarmingly authoritarian parents who accuse him of lying about it... the account doesn't say if they were singing or not, but....

This sounds very like a plot for an episode of the scurrilous and subversive cartoon show South Park. In which one of the South Park kids, whose parents own the local coffee shop, is so hopelessly tanked up on caffeine that he goes without sleep and begins to hallucinate. in the show he sees the Underpant Elves, a race of gnomes and elves whose sole mission in life is to raid his bedroom, and steal his underwear. and yes - they parade from underneath his bed, when he is the only person there to witness this, with little wagons and hand-trucks, and thieve his underpants whilst singing a maddeningly ear-worm joyous elf song abut the joys of the underpant-stealing life... the hapless boy tells his parents, who of course see nothing (the elves dive for cover) and the parents get irate, accusing him of lying and making it up, as an excuse for being so unbelievably careless as to keep losing his underpants all the time, and do you think we're made of money to keep buying you new underwear all the time?

Simon, could you consider the possibility somebody in South Park, Colorado - sorry, Oregon - is pulling your leg here? Just a thought....

this is it - can't get a decent video of the show yet...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park)

Last edited:
Back