• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT369

GNC

King-Sized Canary
It's here! And it's about Lovecraft's Elder Gods! Alas, it looks like a Trump-heavy issue and I've had more than my fill of him, but it's the zeitgeist I suppose. Bumper IHTM makes up for it (well, two pages). The woman's blinking visions simply sounds like eye floaters she is interpreting as you would cloud shapes (like the one on the first page of the Letters), so nothing to worry about. Unless you get loads of them all of a sudden, in which case get your blood pressure checked.

My copy landed this morning, I've enjoyed reading the bits about the parrots plus the Lovecraft article and Jenny Randle's UFO stuff , I've only skimmed through it so far but it looks OK .. could have done without the Trumpster but never mind. Can we not have any more 5 page recounts of nazi enthusiast mental cat ladies please .. I don't earn much money so FT is supposed to be a monthly treat for me .. I tried to read it (twice) and she's somehow even less interesting than Crowley .. what's next ? the ISIS predicting badger raping enthusiast who named himself after a God and wore robes from Oxford University in 1914 ? .. a side note about that guy and that woman, fair enough but 5 pages ?.

edit: seven and a half pages about this absolutely pointless person

Last edited:
It's here! And it's about Lovecraft's Elder Gods! Alas, it looks like a Trump-heavy issue and I've had more than my fill of him, but it's the zeitgeist I suppose. Bumper IHTM makes up for it (well, two pages). The woman's blinking visions simply sounds like eye floaters she is interpreting as you would cloud shapes (like the one on the first page of the Letters), so nothing to worry about. Unless you get loads of them all of a sudden, in which case get your blood pressure checked.
If you notice new eye floaters yes, get a check-up straight away. It might be a detached retina, which could lead to very serious vision problems but can be treated, or it could be a vitreous detachment, which will probably not be too dangerous but for which there doesn't seem to be any treatment. I found a couple of years ago I had a very slight ocular hypertension - not in any way connected with blood pressure; it's high pressure in the vitreous humour or jelly in the back of the eye, but can (rarely) go on to produce glaucoma - and a vitreous detachment. The doc at Moorfields said the latter was nothing much to worry about but it couldn't be treated anyway.

What a drag it is getting o-o-old... Life's just much too hard today, I hear every mother say...

No sign of my issue. I take out a subscription and all I get is this lousy mug.
IMG_20180719_1914348.jpg

No sign of my issue. I take out a subscription and all I get is this lousy mug.
View attachment 10839
I've already got a subscription. Who do I chat up to get my mug ? .. I've wanted one for ages (and the T Shirt and that pen they did with mini post it notes)

Australian subscribers don't get a lovey Fortean mug! It's A Cause For International Shame!

Cultural stereotypes aside, no, we just get the magazine...

I guess the cost of posting mugs out would be rather high.

Two random thoughts about Lovecraft. Read in FT that he died (or maybe translated to a more eldritch plane of chthonic being) in 1937. so his works would have remained in copyright till 1987 - just in time to take in the resurgence of popularity and lots and lots of reprints. Who benefitied from the royalties? And that great and cleverly scatological cartoon Family Guy is set in Rhode Island. Did the FG people ever note a famous son of the state of RI, and "do" Lovecraft in an FG context? Now Peter Griffin visiting Arkham and stumbling on a doorway to the world of Chthulu... I'd watch that. Or the put-upon butt-monkey Meg realising she is an avatar of a dread Old God and wreaking terrible vengeance...

no sign of my issue, when should i start panicking?

well i picnicked, my issue was sent out on the 12th apparently, so i have requested another copy, not impressed by the subscription so far, especially when you consider i am in London, not Australia or the even more remote Cromer-by the bog

Just finished the fascinating article about how whimsical, bohemian cartoon character Pepe the frog morphed into Kek the god of chaos and became an unofficial Trump logo. We do live in weird times!

I've already got a subscription. Who do I chat up to get my mug ? .. I've wanted one for ages (and the T Shirt and that pen they did with mini post it notes)
I've had various mugs over the years (including that one in the pic) but the wife has thrown them all out when I've been at work. Don't have a single one left.

Two random thoughts about Lovecraft. Read in FT that he died (or maybe translated to a more eldritch plane of chthonic being) in 1937. so his works would have remained in copyright till 1987 - just in time to take in the resurgence of popularity and lots and lots of reprints. Who benefitied from the royalties? And that great and cleverly scatological cartoon Family Guy is set in Rhode Island. Did the FG people ever note a famous son of the state of RI, and "do" Lovecraft in an FG context? Now Peter Griffin visiting Arkham and stumbling on a doorway to the world of Chthulu... I'd watch that. Or the put-upon butt-monkey Meg realising she is an avatar of a dread Old God and wreaking terrible vengeance...
Since they're out of copyright I guess whoever publishes them gets all the royalties. All his stories are available on the internet for free now anyway.

On the article in this month's FT - I wasn't that taken by it. As a huge HPL fan I was a bit disappointed that so much of the piece had nothing to do with him or his stories.

Back