• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT370

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I was about to walk into town to the library, the postie has saved me that rainy trip because my new issue has arrived.

This months is as varied as I remember FT being at its best, I'm only up to page 21 and we've had weeping Mary statues, a new chimeric cat, a woman who's married the ghost of a pirate, a preserved dodo head riddle, the beautiful art work of insane James Henry Pullen, a bronze hand found at Hadrian's wall, Easter Island statue construction techniques and I haven't even got to the main articles yet (The Mystery Of Edingburgh's Miniature Coffins) .. top job this month FT, thank you :salute:

Got mine this morning, haven't had time to peruse it yet, may do that tomorrow

Sounds good, I'll pick one up on the way home.

Sounds good, I'll pick one up on the way home.
Not that I'm slagging off FT these days (it's still mostly in a class of its own), this issue is more like the early to mid 90's style FT and crammed with all sorts of goodies, more of your 'traditional' type of Forteana.

Mine arrived today, haven't had time for more than a quick flick, but I agree with Swifty, it's a selection box of an issue.

Mine arrived today, haven't had time for more than a quick flick, but I agree with Swifty, it's a selection box of an issue.
And our own too modest to mention it Ramoncardo even has a horror film review in it ! :)

I'm interested in learning about the movers and shakers in the Fortean scene but FT magazine has almost become a bit incestuous over the last couple of years, there's been too many four page articles about cliques who, although undoubtedly have contributed a lot to the Fortean scene through their years of commitment, just aren't as interesting to read about as the actual Forteana itself. This latest issue doesn't drag at all and feels more like a walk through a Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum without sacrificing FT's high quality of writing.

And our own too modest to mention it Ramoncardo even has a horror film review in it ! :)

I'm interested in learning about the movers and shakers in the Fortean scene but FT magazine has almost become a bit incestuous over the last couple of years, there's been too many four page articles about cliques who, although undoubtedly have contributed a lot to the Fortean scene through their years of commitment, just aren't as interesting to read about as the actual Forteana itself. This latest issue doesn't drag at all and feels more like a walk through a Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum without sacrificing FT's high quality of writing.

I haven't even seen 370 yet! Which film?

BEAST :cool: .. nice one.

It may have been edited, here's the original submission.

Beast
Dir Michael Pearce, UK 2017.
Agile Films/BFI/Film4.

A Serial Killer is stalking Jersey and has just claimed his fourth victim. Moll (Jessie Buckley) is celebrating her birthday but the event is upstaged by her sister Polly (Shannon Tarbet) announcing that she is pregnant with twins. Moll heads off to a local disco, ending up with a guy who gets forceful after they leave. Pascal (Johnny Flynn) appears and frightens him off. Subsequently Moll provides Pascal with an alibi, saying that they had danced all night and left the club together.

Moll has shadows in her own past, when she was 13 she stabbed a school bully resulting in her mother Hilary (Geraldine James) quitting her job to provide home schooling. Hilary uses this to control Moll, treating her more as a child than a 27 year old adult. She is also expected to mind her niece and look after her Alzheimer's stricken father. Given her toxic home environment Moll is eager to seek adventure with the free living Pascal who hunts and works as a handyman. He is the antithesis of her upper-middle class family who seem to be an exemplar of rich immigrants who look down on the locals and show contempt for itinerant Portuguese crop pickers.

Moll in a voiceover speaks of killer whales as she practices her smile in a mirror, reflecting on how they smash their teeth against tank walls in captivity as they try to escape. She continues in her escape and escapades with Pascal in spite of being told of his past criminal record by Clifford (Trystan Gravelle) who has feelings for Moll. More suspicion falls on Pascal and an English detective (Olwen Fouéré) interrogates Moll attempting to shift her evidence. While there is all round good acting in the film, this supporting role by Fouéré is a stand out performance.

There are many twists in this dark tale of insular Island life in this convincing film directed and written by Michael Pearce in his feature film debut. Runtime: 107 minutes. 9/10.

It may have been edited, here's the original submission.

Beast
Dir Michael Pearce, UK 2017.
Agile Films/BFI/Film4.

A Serial Killer is stalking Jersey and has just claimed his fourth victim. Moll (Jessie Buckley) is celebrating her birthday but the event is upstaged by her sister Polly (Shannon Tarbet) announcing that she is pregnant with twins. Moll heads off to a local disco, ending up with a guy who gets forceful after they leave. Pascal (Johnny Flynn) appears and frightens him off. Subsequently Moll provides Pascal with an alibi, saying that they had danced all night and left the club together.

Moll has shadows in her own past, when she was 13 she stabbed a school bully resulting in her mother Hilary (Geraldine James) quitting her job to provide home schooling. Hilary uses this to control Moll, treating her more as a child than a 27 year old adult. She is also expected to mind her niece and look after her Alzheimer's stricken father. Given her toxic home environment Moll is eager to seek adventure with the free living Pascal who hunts and works as a handyman. He is the antithesis of her upper-middle class family who seem to be an exemplar of rich immigrants who look down on the locals and show contempt for itinerant Portuguese crop pickers.

Moll in a voiceover speaks of killer whales as she practices her smile in a mirror, reflecting on how they smash their teeth against tank walls in captivity as they try to escape. She continues in her escape and escapades with Pascal in spite of being told of his past criminal record by Clifford (Trystan Gravelle) who has feelings for Moll. More suspicion falls on Pascal and an English detective (Olwen Fouéré) interrogates Moll attempting to shift her evidence. While there is all round good acting in the film, this supporting role by Fouéré is a stand out performance.

There are many twists in this dark tale of insular Island life in this convincing film directed and written by Michael Pearce in his feature film debut. Runtime: 107 minutes. 9/10.
Is the bit you wrote when you once tried to rape a koala bear true though? .. we're not here to judge ..

Very good issue, read it cover to cover this afternoon.

That creepy kid ghost photo on p.20, brrrrrr!

:omg:

I gave up on fighting the fortean bureaucracy and bought 369 this morning, got home this evening and 370 had been delivered! seemed to take them some time to get traction, but they are on the ball now and 370 looks interesting.

My FT370 arrived yesterday, which has reminded me I never got FT369. Given I don't really have time to read them any more (as much as I enjoy them), perhaps it's time to cancel my subscription. :(

Good articles this ish, except for the bit in the middle of the Edinburgh coffins one that went all Scottish Nationalist PPB. I suppose it's the world we're in at the moment, but not what I read FT for. Personally I think one afternoon back in summer 1836 a kid went back to his stash of toy soldiers only to find they'd been nicked, and never knew what happened to them.

The light arcs tale in the Northern weirdness roundup is a great one, never heard anything like it!

The fake Native Americans article was excellent - not Iron Eyes Cody too! Graham Greene - he's the real deal, isn't he?

Very good issue, read it cover to cover this afternoon.

That creepy kid ghost photo on p.20, brrrrrr!

:omg:

I thought the monk photo was OK, but the creepy kids just looked like people the photographer hadn't noticed were standing/sitting behind them.

I thought the monk photo was OK, but the creepy kids just looked like people the photographer hadn't noticed were standing/sitting behind them.
How would you not notice someone else in your car? EDIT just read the story, the mother may be seeking attention....
I'm scratching my head at the Simulacra Corner. Just looks like a big rock to me.
Didn't feel well at work today so was glad to find FT to read when I came home early.
Jenny Randles column going back decades for something to write about is further evidence of the death of Ufology.

Last edited:
Great issue this month. The story of Chief White Elk in the article 'Tribe of Wannabe' couldn't be made into a movie as it would never be believed, it was so astounding. I was gripped!

Great issue this month. The story of Chief White Elk in the article 'Tribe of Wannabe' couldn't be made into a movie as it would never be believed, it was so astounding. I was gripped!

So glad you had time to read it this month! It was an excellent article - I notice the author has written a book, too.

I see the problem with the naked hermit on P6 - on P7 he's turned into a cat. Can't be trusted on his own.

So glad you had time to read it this month! It was an excellent article - I notice the author has written a book, too.
I've been travelling to Scotland and back the last couple of days, which is the only reason I've had the time. I've emailed about the last issue which never arrived, so I hope I'll receive that and fit in some reading time.

I was moved to find out more about Nan Hauser, who comes across as engagingly likeable and doing worthwhile things with whales and marine animals in the Pacific. Apart from this deep connection with one particular whale - probably no more remarkable than a pet owner who feels they have a deep meeting of minds with a pet cat or dog and maybe coming from the same sort of place - a jobbing marine biologist doing what she loves, and the world needs more of that. Just a passing thought about academia based on my own brief exposure to it. I'm sure there are marine biologists who have a deep commitment to whales resident off Antarctica or along the arctic coast of Siberia and who are prepared to observe them in their own natural habitat. But... having academic tenure and blagging your uni into paying for you to live indefinitely on an island in the nicer part of the Pacific, climate-wise. That's got to be the academic Holy Grail... and from the sponsoring university's point of view, it helps if the academic involved is female, blonde, photogenic and looks good in the sort of clothing appropriate for a marine consultancy in the Pacific. And attracts younger female researchers to work with her under the gaze of the cameras. Win-win all round. I seem to remember Jacques Cousteau had a photogenic missus, and lots of female crew members on board the Calypso... and now she gets an interesting article in the FT to add to the press cuttings bit... I'm sure cetacean researchers exist in the arctic and do equally good work, but the photo-opps can't be all that good, as they'd have to cover up more and wear more layers of warm clothing. And journalists, given a choce, would prefer freebies in warm sunny places. Like academics...

http://nanhauser.com/#biography

Last edited:
It's also cheering to read that the great Michael Bentine gave JennyRandles some good advice about presenting her case on TV. Sounds typical of MB, the sort of thing he would do.

My FT370 arrived yesterday, which has reminded me I never got FT369. Given I don't really have time to read them any more (as much as I enjoy them), perhaps it's time to cancel my subscription. :(
If it's any consolation, those of us who work on the mag also have a frustrating time getting our copies reliably from the subs team at Dennis

I see the "Letter from a Crazy Person" section is back on the letters pages. You do hear about the residents of Florida...

If it's any consolation, those of us who work on the mag also have a frustrating time getting our copies reliably from the subs team at Dennis
Yes, that makes it all grand, thank you. I sent an email on the 15th of August, to the email address on this board, asking for my copy to be resent. Haven't heard owt back.

Another bitty observation. The ghosts appearing in photographs... it was never mentioned once that the one in the maze, appearing behind the boy Byrin's left shoulder, appears to be the classic Black-Eyed-Child apparition. Does FT leave us to work these things out for ourselves, as mentioning them would be Department Of the Bleeding Obvious? This is interesting. I want to have a think about this... just as poltergeist activity focuses on adolescent or immediately pre-adolescent children, do the Black Eyed Child entities appear in the presence of kids of about this age - a sort of shadow-self to real children and somehow linked to them? Interesting avenue of thought to wander down...

Though it's a good article, I was a bit disappointed that the Arthur's Seat coffins piece was recycled more or less verbatim from one of Mike Dash's Smithsonian blog posts of about 6 years ago. Jeff Nisbet's 'new theory' involving gypsies and ancient Egyptian customs was a real stretch of credulity.

Enjoyed Jenny's reminiscences of interviewing Patrick Moore.
As an arch sceptic in all Forteana, it was quite a revelation that Moore was suspected of involvement in a high-profile UFO hoax, presumably in order to expose the levels of public credulity.

Enjoyed Jenny's reminiscences of interviewing Patrick Moore.
As an arch sceptic in all Forteana, it was quite a revelation that Moore was suspected of involvement in a high-profile UFO hoax, presumably in order to expose the levels of public credulity.
Sir Pat always had a bit of the prankster about him - and a high regard for other people's (and presumably his own) eccentricity. Still remember him interviewing the guy who claimed to speak Venusian and other extraterrestrial lingos. Classic TV moment.

Back