• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT381

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
FT 381:

Folk Horror Revival

Beware the Black Flash

Blood on the Fields

maximus otter

I read "the five" gets a 2/5 review two days after foyles tell me my copy has been shipped...

Nice article on Charles Walton.

Also I really want to live in one of those weeny little castle houses.

And poor garbage dog... It made me sad.

Ah!! I just made the connection between here and the piece on the Edinburgh society! Omg, I'm slow!
Lol! Nice to see Forteans in the wild!

Last edited:
Only just picked up my copy today, had a quick look through and all is looking good so far. Pleased to see the folk horror theme!

Just got my copy today. Looking forward to going through it.

Remember tickets are still available for the Edinburgh Fortean Society day conference on the 13th of July! Link in signature.

The murder mystery made an excellent article, real "Oi 'eard nuthin'!" material.

Being an Owl of a certain age who has seen The Wicker Man upwards of 50 times, I was delighted with the Folk Horror feature, and its references to so many of my formative influences. It was certainly good to see Penda's Fen getting a mention. I really must get around to watching Wheatley's A Field in England" as I was very impressed with his earlier effort, "Kill List". Talking of the latter, anyone have any views as to whether Kill List can also be considered Folk Horror (if this is indeed the correct place for such a spoiler-heavy discussion)? I tend to think so but happy to be convinced otherwise.

\.../
(@v@)
/\ /\
\/_\/
~ ~

Last edited:
I still haven't got 377, 379 or 380.

Any book or film review by me in 381? (Páiric Ó Corráin)

The folk horror article was good, but a kind of repeat of the hauntology article from a few issues ago.

On "Kill List" being folk horror, 110% yes! Great shocking film that leaves you thinking, and reaching for volumes of myths. Then again I love everything Wheatley touches. "A Field In England" has the only cinematic scene ever to geniuinely scare me. (The tent, all I am saying). Go watch Brown_Return'd !

I must have a horrible mind... reading about the Walton murder had me speculating on how this could be a really memorable episode of The Archers. Well, it would liven up Radio Four....

They found Joe Grundy stone dead over in top field, pinned to the ground with a pitchfork! Police came out from Borchester, I hear as how they're questioning Walter Gabriel....

Arr, I hears as how some of the young girls is prone to dancin' round the old stones without a stitch of clothes on.... I blames that Kylie, myself.

I must have a horrible mind... reading about the Walton murder had me speculating on how this could be a really memorable episode of The Archers. Well, it would liven up Radio Four....

They found Joe Grundy stone dead over in top field, pinned to the ground with a pitchfork! Police came out from Borchester, I hear as how they're questioning Walter Gabriel....

Arr, I hears as how some of the young girls is prone to dancin' round the old stones without a stitch of clothes on.... I blames that Kylie, myself.
You mean The Archers hasn't had an episode like this?!

I see I made Karl Shuker mad. But he's still incorrect. And, I've quite widely read and educated on the topic so the insult doesn't stick.
I don't think he's aware of how far away popular cryptozoology has drifted from the Heuvelmans ideal. We can wish it is zoology, but that doesn't make it so.
I'm currently collecting definitions of cryptozoology because no does such goofy things and I'm curious.

What's this "Haunted Generation" piece? An advert for cds?

I can't remember if it was 381 or 380, but the Jerome Clark review of a new UFO book in the reviews was almost 50% a hatchet job on the author based on a clear personal beef... Whether it was a good book was not discernible. Might be an idea not to give books by one person to be reviewed by another who is clearly not going to give an objective review?

Back