• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT392

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Witch marks!

The folklore of the vegetable plot!

Welsh goat rampage!

maximus otter

Just got mine. But I haven't finished reading last month's yet.

Lockdown means no commute, but no commute means no FT reading-time. It's difficult adjusting to this new normal.

Witch marks, folklore of vegetable plots, virus from outer space, it doesn't look like a really good issue, but I am glad it's here and I will enjoy it.

The picture BOTTOM left page 54! :)
Now I want to know why that picture got your attention! I don't have the issue yet, and Inquiring Minds Want To Know...

Since my mum gets me a gift subscription, and the FT subscription department don't seem to understand what that means - both the newest issues are at her house and, thanks to lockdown, I can't get them.
Not sure I'm missing much anyway to be honest, not really been interested much in recent issues.

Witch marks, folklore of vegetable plots, virus from outer space, it doesn't look like a really good issue, but I am glad it's here and I will enjoy it.
Folklore of vegetable plots? :thought:

The picture BOTTOM left page 54! :)

I know! Was it part of an experiment or restaged for the purposes of illustration?! Could they not have persuaded Hunt Emerson to do a cartoon instead?

It is an illustration of someone testing the temperature of the soil, with their bare buttocks, to determine if the soil is warm enough for planting.
I can assure you neither I or, to my knowledge, any of the Witham allotment holders partake in such a practice.

It is an illustration of someone testing the temperature of the soil, with their bare buttocks, to determine if the soil is warm enough for planting.
I can assure you neither I or, to my knowledge, any of the Witham allotment holders partake in such a practice.
You'll be amazed what they get up to when you're not there...

Still haven't got 390 or 391. Grrr!

I received this email this week (I'm in Australia):

-------------------

Dear Subscriber,

I’m aware we’ve contacted you several times recently. We will only contact you when there is a change that we feel may directly impact your subscription.

Since our last correspondence we are experiencing further distribution issues between the UK and Australia with severe restrictions currently in force on air freight. We are doing our very best to find work-arounds and alternatives, and our priority is to always get your physical copy to you.

We have reviewed how best we can serve you in the heightened circumstances caused by Covid-19 and have decided the best delivery option at this time is sea freight. However, this means you will experience delays in the delivery of Fortean Times.

You can of course still access our digital edition, which has been temporarily added to your subscription. The digital edition contains the same content as the magazine: it’s fast to download, easy to use and publishes at the same time as the print magazine.

To access the digital edition, search ‘Fortean Times’ in the iOS App Store or Google Play and download the app. Once you have the app downloaded to your device, you need to enter your customer number: xxxxxxxxxxxx. Alternatively you can access the magazine online at magazine.forteantimes.co.uk.

Please be aware that our Customer Support function is currently running with reduced staff levels so you may have to wait longer than normal when contacting us by phone. We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time. Alternatively you can email us at [email protected] or manage your subscription by logging into www.managemymags.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Nicola Bates, Chief Brand Officer

I received this email this week (I'm in Australia):

-------------------

Dear Subscriber,

I’m aware we’ve contacted you several times recently. We will only contact you when there is a change that we feel may directly impact your subscription.

Since our last correspondence we are experiencing further distribution issues between the UK and Australia with severe restrictions currently in force on air freight. We are doing our very best to find work-arounds and alternatives, and our priority is to always get your physical copy to you.

We have reviewed how best we can serve you in the heightened circumstances caused by Covid-19 and have decided the best delivery option at this time is sea freight. However, this means you will experience delays in the delivery of Fortean Times.

You can of course still access our digital edition, which has been temporarily added to your subscription. The digital edition contains the same content as the magazine: it’s fast to download, easy to use and publishes at the same time as the print magazine.

To access the digital edition, search ‘Fortean Times’ in the iOS App Store or Google Play and download the app. Once you have the app downloaded to your device, you need to enter your customer number: xxxxxxxxxxxx. Alternatively you can access the magazine online at magazine.forteantimes.co.uk.

Please be aware that our Customer Support function is currently running with reduced staff levels so you may have to wait longer than normal when contacting us by phone. We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time. Alternatively you can email us at [email protected] or manage your subscription by logging into www.managemymags.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Nicola Bates, Chief Brand Officer
Yes, I got this message as well on Friday. I understand why, but like Verruca Salt said, I Want It And I Want It Now!:incan:

My copy arrived today!:cheer::cheer::cheer::party::party::party:

I got 391 and 392 delivered together, went with Mags Direct in the end, and finally getting a new subscription too!
Was pleased to see Richard Freeman's Forum article on the Reverend Dr Donald Omand's exorcism of Loch Ness. Ever since I discovered the story after getting into the work of Ted (F.W.) Holiday years ago, I've thought this was an interesting and obscure piece of forteana, I even started a thread on the subject a few years back.

As usual Jenny Randles UFO Files is my favourite in both issues, never fails to bring up interesting and often little known cases.

I haven't read everything else yet, but it looks like there's plenty of good stuff between these two issues.

Really enjoying reading David Clarke's article on ritual protection symbols. I was reminded of the cave of Trophonius and the cult surrounding him. Although on a different subject, the article also brought to mind an interesting episode of Time Team, which featured the discovery of possible ancient ritual cannibalism in caves in Alveston, Gloucestershire.

Finally got my copy in the U.S. a few days ago - only about a month later than usual.

I just read Peter Laws' column, where he recommends movies to watch during a pandemic. Does anyone else find it strange that he mentions The Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man, and I Am Legend in different places, and makes no note of the fact that they're all based on the same story?

I just read Peter Laws' column, where he recommends movies to watch during a pandemic. Does anyone else find it strange that he mentions The Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man, and I Am Legend in different places, and makes no note of the fact that they're all based on the same story?

Maybe because they are variations on a theme? Each having it's own strengths but LMOE being most faithful to the novel.

Back