FT393

FunkyTT

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Is that you Gordon Rutter, on the vid.? I know your into cabinets of curiosity's as I read something on here you had posted ( Scottish newspaper article on you) but the link no longer worked . Just wondering .

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that you Gordon Rutter, on the vid.? I know your into cabinets of curiosity's as I read something on here you had posted ( Scottish newspaper article on you) but the link no longer worked . Just wondering .
Yes that is indeed me. I'll be posting other cabinet of curiosity entries over the coming weeks. There's already one on the Ica Stones up and a couple of Edinburgh Fortean Society Meetings.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
I see someone vaguely familiar is gracing the cover this monthView attachment 26353
I could also point out that the text immediately above about Flat Earth refers to an an article wot I wrote. So me and Ogdred on the cover!
It does mean by looking at who wrote that article you'll all find out my real name!

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Reaction score
Looks like this thread isn't here yet, so opening one up. got my copy of 393 this morning, first of the sub. Damn, skipped 392.

A thought or two on the mystery person in Norwich walking around in Plague Doctor costume. Hellesdon isn't quite the district where the university is - that's West Earlham - but it's the next door suburb. while it's listed here as a "village", it's probably more accurate to describe it as a suburb of the city.

Having said that... some local angles. The University of East Anglia now has a medical school. I direct you to the well-known sense of humour of medical students. There will be a lot of students in this area who really don't have a lot to do while in house arrest. The Devil and idle hands and all that.

UEA also has the East Anglian Local History School or whatever it's called these days. They will almost certainly know that in mediaeval times and in Civil War and post civil war times, Hellesdon was far enough outside the city limits to have been used for mass burials for plague victims. Plague Doctors would have been seen in Norwich at this time. Well-substantiated rumour says when the university was built a mass plague burial had to be relocated.

The last time I looked there were plans to have a joint interdisciplinary degree in The History of Medicine.

I really don't think you'll have to look too far to find the hoaxer(s).

Or else my old uni, an institution that once voted a gerbil in as Student Union president, has lost its way completely...

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
My FT393 has just dropped through my letterbox and I still haven't opened it yet. I'm saving it for when I go up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone at FT for continuing to produce the mag, on time, and distribute it out to us, during these....er.....'changed times'

AgProv

Reaction score
Wow, where did all this come from? When I was here yesterday there wasn't an FT393 thread - looked hard, couldn't find one - so opened a thread... by the look of it this was here all the time. Brigadoon. Anyway, I now have the full kit;
1589886789862.jpeg

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, where did all this come from? When I was here yesterday there wasn't an FT393 thread - looked hard, couldn't find one - so opened a thread... by the look of it this was here all the time. Brigadoon. Anyway, I now have the full kit; View attachment 26372
There was a merge of two threads, one of which had been opened in the news section and the other of which had been opened in the magazine section.

AgProv

Reaction score
There was a merge of two threads, one of which had been opened in the news section and the other of which had been opened in the magazine section.
Ah, I see. Fortean Times Magazine on the forums list is where I would automatically go to find the discussion thread for the current edition - I saw there was nothing there (at the time) headed FT393 and the latest discussion thread was for the previous issue FT392 - therefore I opened a page. I'm assuming the one opened up in the News section was merged to the one in the Magazine section.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Merged or not merged? The mods like too mess with our minds, like LSD without the dragon in the fridge.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
There's now only one FT 393 thread, and it's in the Fortean Times Magazine section.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I've only just managed to get hold of the latest 3 issues since the subscription department insist on sending my gift subscription to the person paying for it instead of the person who's supposed to be on the receiving end of the gift. Had to visit my mum, first time during lockdown and picked them up from her.
Some of the features look interesting but, with the hassle of the subs address being wrong, and the fact I'm finding less and less I enjoy every month I've told her to cancel the next renewal.* Honestly, seeing that "Haunted Generation" column every month is doing my tits in more than it should. Why is it in there? If the magazine wants to cover "Fortean" music, how about black metal, or folk metal - there's plenty in there that would be interesting, even if you forget all the murders and stuff.
And a full page on weird postcards, of a dog at a table with a man? I understand a need for new things to cover but the one column I genuinely enjoyed recently was the Podcast one and it's just disappeared into the ether like the Hierophant.
Bah!

*I'll probably just ask her to get me the Kindle subscription since it's much cheaper and, well, I don't know if I could do without FT every month, even with that bloody haunted generation column.

AgProv

Reaction score
Anyway. Reading about the Toledot, the mediaeval Jewish texts where rabbinical scholars are trying to make sense of the fact Christianity was born out of Judaism via a Jew called Jesus. The texts also settle scores by being not very reverend at all - which of course you would pretty much expect from religious Jews dealing with a heretic who left Judaism to start a whole new religion which is not at all friendly to them.

BR didn't report on this, but a lot of this stuff has resurfaced in modern times in a related context, also to do with the strained relationship between Jew and Christian. Attacks on Christian churches in Israel and the West Bank have been happening over the past few years as part of what extremist Jews call "the price tag" - political and religious extremist Jews who resent any sort of non-Jewish presence in what they see as a purely Jewish country with no alien influences (Islamic AND Christian) . Graffiti spray-painted on Christian premises makes reference to Jesus being the son of an unclean and promiscuous whore; and I read of a reference to Jesus getting pissed on by a good god-fearing Jew - - jibes straight out of the Toledot, in a modern unpleasantness.

Last edited:

AgProv

Reaction score
The short about Frank Zappa's paranormal experience in Marin Country, California. Just noting that Marin County is home to quite a lot of USAF stations, including several associated with air defence. It's conceivable what he saw might have been some sort of defence apparatus being fired up then powered down?

USAF in Marin County

And.. with wonderful Fortean symmetry. The USAF squadron at home there in the 1970's was...

• 666th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron activated at Mount Tamalpais AFS 27 Nov 1950
Redesignated 666th Radar Squadron (SAGE), 15 January 1961 Redesignated 666th Radar Squadron, 1 February 1974 Inactivated on 30 September 1980

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Excellent articles this issue, very well written. The poltergeist that wasn't was a good piece too.