• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT393

I don't know about it being ossified. I personally kinda stick with the original bands in each genre without exploring much new, but Spotify started playing me new BM bands like Uada, Mgla, Drapsnatt who are very good. There's also less extreme stuff by the likes of Drudkh and Winterfylleth which would be more appealing to a mass audience.
I just really get irritated when I see that "hauntology" column!

BM has barely advanced in 20 years, there are bands who sound a bit different to bands who sound a bit different to a band who sound a bit different from Darkthrone. I'm not saying there are no good bands nor no innovation it's just that the innovation is minimal and has been for a long time. I'm not sure how you're defining a "mass audience" but Drudkh and Winterfylleth are well beyond the pale for most people, most of the people who I've met who like Metal listen to much more mainstream Metal than that, God knows what the average punter would make of them. Even people who are music nerds in other genres: dance, hip hop, indie etc are often put off by all but the mildest or most mainstream Metal: Metallica, Maiden etc

I think Deathspell Omega came up with a new iteration of BM but that was sixteen years ago and their style hasn't changed much since then. Oranssi Pazuzu as well but they would argue they aren't a BM band and again, their first album was over a decade ago. What Folk Metal do you like? I like Moonsorrow, Finntroll and Tyr, Eluveitie are ok and there's a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

BM has barely advanced in 20 years, there are bands who sound a bit different to bands who sound a bit different to a band who sound a bit different from Darkthrone. I'm not saying there are no good bands nor no innovation it's just that the innovation is minimal and has been for a long time. I'm not sure how you're defining a "mass audience" but Drudkh and Winterfylleth are well beyond the pale for most people, most of the people who I've met who like Metal listen to much more mainstream Metal than that, God knows what the average punter would make of them. Even people who are music nerds in other genres: dance, hip hop, indie etc are often put off by all but the mildest or most mainstream Metal: Metallica, Maiden etc

I think Deathspell Omega came up with a new iteration of BM but that was sixteen years ago and their style hasn't changed much since then. Oranssi Pazuzu as well but they would argue they aren't a BM band and again, their first album was over a decade ago. What Folk Metal do you like? I like Moonsorrow, Finntroll and Tyr, Eluveitie are ok and there's a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.
I've not really listened to much folk metal, other than what the modern black metal bands are doing. Winterfylleth did a whole album that's just clean, acoustic stuff. Here's the lead track - the whole thing is like this, I used to play it for my little boy when he was going to sleep! Drudkh again, have songs like this, which I discovered on an album called One And All, Together, For Home (check it out!). I don't think this stuff would be any more challenging for people listening to whatever that Hauntology column is promoting, and probably be more interesting to lots of people. Like me! I mean, unsettling music? How about early Akercocke?!
Winterfylleth -
Drudkh -

I used to play it for my little boy when he was going to sleep!
The original Tubular Bells was used for years to send all four of mine off to sleep. Never seemed to work with the grandsons though...I blame the increase in E numbers.

I've not really listened to much folk metal, other than what the modern black metal bands are doing. Winterfylleth did a whole album that's just clean, acoustic stuff. Here's the lead track - the whole thing is like this, I used to play it for my little boy when he was going to sleep! Drudkh again, have songs like this, which I discovered on an album called One And All, Together, For Home (check it out!). I don't think this stuff would be any more challenging for people listening to whatever that Hauntology column is promoting, and probably be more interesting to lots of people. Like me! I mean, unsettling music? How about early Akercocke?!
Winterfylleth -
Drudkh -

I knew about the Winterfylleth but not the Drudkh. You should have played your son Akercocke instead, if he can sleep through that, he can sleep through anything.

My copy arrived today! What joy!

Mine arrived on Monday 22 June..about 3 weeks after I read the digital version..

Back