• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT395

titch

Justified & Ancient
Alien autopsy ( 25 years of the film that shook the world)
Perils of a pixie hunter (on the trail of the little people)
The man who would be Q (the curious claims of Austin steinbart)
Looks a good issue.

Yeap got mine today too! Just noticed Jenny Randles' article isn't in this one sadly.

Reading the review of the TV documentary series Cursed Films and thinking - damn. I had this idea some years ago, did the research for love and interest, and put my work up for free on the tv tropes site. I wish I'd stopped to think there might be money in it.... (but I'd also have needed the contacts and expertise in the TV industry, which I don't have, together with backing, so I can't complain that the professionals took over, sort of...)

At least I can plunder the review and pick up on the new stuff to expand my take on the theme...

"Cursed Films", published in tv tropes by me, 30th July 2015

The first IHTM is a doozy, I was thinking, this sounds like a story from the heyday of UFOs and right enough, it had been sitting in the FT archives all this time.

The IHTM about the motorbike crash mentions and shows a photo of the Hartside Top Cafe in all its glory. Sadly, it burned down in 2018 but there are plans to restore it, or at least there were plans this time last year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-49297511

I was there a few months after the fire. You're supposed to be able to see Scotland on a good day, this is the view from inside a cloud.
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 09.33.01jgp.jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 09.32.43jpg.jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 09.31.57jpe.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 09.32.11jpg.jpg

Thought you might like to see this, 'Never go with strangers' from 1971. It's mentioned in the reviews this month. I think the way the sinister topic is handled is really excellent. Plus you get some brilliant 70s nostalgia. But I for one feel educated now and will not be going with strangers. I don't remember seeing this as a kid. In fact I don't remember this being discussed at school. But perhaps I'm misremembering (it was a super long time ago).
that and another one mentioned, Apaches (1977) is available free on the BFI site.
https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-apaches-1977-online
Very dark!
You can also try 'The Finishing Line' (also on the BFI) about why you shouldn't play on the railway line - with actual school sports style events that end in disaster, quite weird and very dark but I'm guessing thought more effective than just being lectured at!

Last edited:
I saw Never Go With Strangers at school, a couple of polis arrived to show us it and hand out commemorative bookmarks. I never did go with a stranger, so it must have worked! It was so scary I still never go with strangers.

My copy arrived today. Still waiting for issue 394...

The first IHTM is a doozy, I was thinking, this sounds like a story from the heyday of UFOs and right enough, it had been sitting in the FT archives all this time.

That one is a mystery in itself. Received at FT Towers in 1998 but "only just come to light"...

Down the back of a filing cabinet?

Back