• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT396

AgProv

Doctor of Disorientation Studies, UnseenUniversity
too North to be Midlands, too south to be North
Just got 396 today - looking for the thread but I can't find it. I'd open one, except for the thought occuring to me that I cannot be the first with the latest edition - I assumed this once before only to discover a thread had been opened, but somewhere else where I hadn't thought to look for it...

Just got 396 today - looking for the thread but I can't find it. I'd open one, except for the thought occuring to me that I cannot be the first with the latest edition - I assumed this once before only to discover a thread had been opened, but somewhere else where I hadn't thought to look for it...
Pretty sure you're the first, well done!

Ah right. Better follow House Style:
- Nessie goes on holiday in Florida! Like any Scot abroad, can get boisterous.
- HP Lovecraft - racist or what?
- the Noid - American cartoon character or Finnish shaman? Or both?

And the bit I was looking to add here.... Di Francis on big cats in Britain, Fortean Library review. (and I read that as "Dr Francis" till I realised)

Near the opening we read

Her solution is to set up a national reporting centre to identify where the big cats are and, ultimately, what they are... As far as we know, such a census has yet to be attempted."

Errr.... doesn't Fortean Times itself attempt such a count every year when it pulls together a census of notified sightings in the previous 12 months? (admittedly reliant on people sending in the press cuttings)

Mine arrived too, got it earlier than usual, though I've really just had a flick through it and a read of the Sidelines. Looks like good stuff, and another coincidence for me (Lovecraft).

I know it was a bit filler-esque, but I did like the Noid article, something about the accumulation of detail in that kind of thing is really entertaining. I knew of poor old Mr Noid who went para-Noid, but didn't realise the mascot was in Moonwalker (as if he wasn't sinister enough).

Mine is here, I think we all know the answer to where 4 teenage boys killed by a sea serpent?

Couple of interesting shorts in Strange Days, COVID Corner.

It seems dogs are being trained to detect COVID 19. The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine are currently training 3 cocker spaniel, 2 labradors and a labradoodle to identify those with certain symptoms of the disease. If successful dogs could eventually be placed outside pubs and restaurants etc, or walked through care homes to identify those who should be segregated and tested for the disease.

In the other a Doctor has said that people who are self isolating should masturbate while in lockdown as it is known to boost the immune system. Additionally an orgasm aids sleep and relaxation allowing the body to repair and recover. The study was carried out by a German University Clinic. I wonder how they advertised their need for a bunch of wankers?

Last edited:
The Noid's relationship to traditional shamanism. the Shamanic thing stretches right back into northern Russia and Siberia; maybe it gets a toe-hold into North American consciousness by going in the opposite direction from Finland, over the Bering Straits and into native North American practices.

Here's a Siberian practitioner in action. While this is a shamanic performer show-bizzed-up for television, this is still an absolutely compelling hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck performance. When I could tear my eyes away from the performer, I noticed the country-map on the backdrop behind her; had an idea of where in the world it was, and narrowed it down to the Yakutian SSR, the north-central Siberian republic of Russia, Sakha/Yakutia in the modern Russia.

Last edited:
I admit it, I laughed at "Mortal Wombat".

The Noid's relationship to traditional shamanism. the Shamanic thing stretches right back into northern Russia and Siberia; maybe it gets a toe-hold into North American consciousness by going in the opposite direction from Finland, over the Bering Straits and into native North American practices.

Here's a Siberian practitioner in action. While this is a shamanic performer show-bizzed-up for television, this is still an absolutely compelling hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck performance. When I could tear my eyes away from the performer, I noticed the country-map on the backdropbehind her; had an idea of where in the world it was, and narrowed it down to the Yakutian SSR, the north-central Siberian republic of Russia, Sakha/Yakutia in the modern Russia.

She's frickin' awesome. I think I am in love.
Here she is on Britain's Got Talent:

Imagine being in a dark forest, sat around a campfire when she does that. Wow.
My geography was out... (and my anthropology) . My thoughts, hearing her evoke, in turn, wolves, hunting birds and horses the way she did, was a Cossack encampment on the Steppes. So she was on BGT? (In this case, "The Yakutian SSR Has Got Talent") . wow - a bit esoteric and cerebral for them?

Last edited:
They said they could confirm it was sent out but are now sending out a replacement copy, which is good service, can't ask for more than that!

Just got my copy today....

Back