• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT398

GNC

King-Sized Canary
O what a nice surprise, the new FT meets mine eyes! Plus I've had a chance for a good browse of it, and really enjoyed the moving statues article. Nice to see an old reliable, a ghostly monk, in IHTM as well. The article on nurses' spooky stories should interest many here.

yes it does look like a very good issue, 25 years of the chupacabra, the science of skinwalker ranch and the music of the spheres.

Opening observations: the "Horned Beast" thing (letters, p75) about the provenance and meaning of a Japanese print, circa 1905, showing a stylised Japanese soldier with two debatable animals in the background. The text speculatively mentions a mythical creature, the Japanese Unicorn, but is baffled as to the significance. Could I suggest - we know from history that propaganda is always crude and appeals to the gut and not the intellect. Craggy-jawed Japenese soldier radiating martial determination while in the background, two animals duke it out. Given the historical context - the Russian-Japanese War - having Japan's totemic animal squaring off against Russia's totemic wolf quite firmly places it as propaganda. Recruiting poster, perhaps? Update it by ninety years and move the setting to North Korea - well, it's not hard to see the semblence to an NK propaganda poster where you get a square-jawed mighty soldier of the NKPA glaring at an unseen enemy, whle - perhaps - a symbolic eagle gets its feathers ruffled...

the letter undeneath from Sacramento California recounts an MIB encounter in a place called Stark Park. For the benefit of non-Americans like me - looked it up - could have been made more clear the named location, Stark Park, is in Manchester, New Hampshire, and not in California. Could be inferred from the context, but a bit ambiguous with 3000 miles between the two named places - UFO researcher in California, the subject of the MIB encounter in New England... it does make it odd that Sam in New England chose to contact a researcher on the opposite coast and not a local guy in a better position to check out the location on the ground! (Stark's Park is also the home ground of Scottish football side Raith Rovers in Kirckaldy... any strange things happening there?) Did some more digging.... UFO sightings over Manchester, NH, with the UFO reported to have travelled "west" - (or possibly south-west when the text report is compared to a local map - reporter said "it follwed Candia Road west", but Candia Road appearts to run roughly south-west to north-east). Ambiguity again - west would have taken the UFO towards Stark Park, two miles or so to the west...

UFO over Manchester, New Hamphire

Last edited:
Can't wait for this issue! And is there something special planned for the 400th issue? After the pigs ear that has been 2020, we need something to look forward to...

The article on moving statues.... the author missed this particular cultural reference!

Re a post above... I thought it might be satisfying to find out if there's been any paranormal or UFO activity around Stark's Park in Kirckaldy, Scotland, but the only relevant thing I've found (so far) is the wanabee paranormal investigator who chose to investigate eldritch and skin-tingling things going on in an unsuspecting girl's shower, employing three hidden cameras so he would not miss a thing. Apparently he was investigating paranormal goings-on in the house, and it focused on the bathroom, and he ended up with lots of footage of the daughter of the house in the shower, which of course he intended to delete but had not got round to it yet. Honestly, officer. Now there's dedication.

Last edited:
Got mine on Saturday, was pleased to see my letter about the 'Roll Off Factor' printed! Good looking content this issue, looking forward to getting stuck in!

The thing about mysterious explosions in Siberia thought to be down to methane being released from under the tundra. Stray thought. What if there was a really big one of those in 1908? Therefore anyone thnking Tunguska was down to an asteroid impact, or a UFO's anti-matter drive malfunctioning, et c, are looking in exactly the wrong direction?

Also, Deadman's Island. It's a boat-trip away from London. Remote, uninhabited, with a local rep, and people don't go near it. Thinking like a criminal for a moment. Let's say you are involved in activities in London which you do not want drawn to the attention of the authorities, these generate an inconvenient corpse or two, and you want to dispose of the evidence. You have access to a boat, and go, perhaps, on a night-fishing trip down the Thames estuary. Where better to hide the bodies than in a cemetary island - just another corpse? are there more recent bodies there than 1815?

Deadman's Island. It's a boat-trip away from London. Remote, uninhabited, with a local rep, and people don't go near it. Thinking like a criminal for a moment. Let's say you are involved in activities in London which you do not want drawn to the attention of the authorities, these generate an inconvenient corpse or two, and you want to dispose of the evidence. You have access to a boat, and go, perhaps, on a night-fishing trip down the Thames estuary. Where better to hide the bodies than in a cemetary island - just another corpse? are there more recent bodies there than 1815
You have all the best ideas!

The thing about mysterious explosions in Siberia thought to be down to methane being released from under the tundra. Stray thought. What if there was a really big one of those in 1908? Therefore anyone thnking Tunguska was down to an asteroid impact, or a UFO's anti-matter drive malfunctioning, et c, are looking in exactly the wrong direction?

Also, Deadman's Island. It's a boat-trip away from London. Remote, uninhabited, with a local rep, and people don't go near it. Thinking like a criminal for a moment. Let's say you are involved in activities in London which you do not want drawn to the attention of the authorities, these generate an inconvenient corpse or two, and you want to dispose of the evidence. You have access to a boat, and go, perhaps, on a night-fishing trip down the Thames estuary. Where better to hide the bodies than in a cemetary island - just another corpse? are there more recent bodies there than 1815?
Sounds like a plot for Bryant and May !

I am very late to the party, but I tend to read my FT's out of order in a kind of 'binge read' when I have time to sit down and savour them, rather than try to read piecemeal as they arrive. So I've got a backlog which I started working my way through during a recent holiday. Now I've got to 398. I was reading the very sensitively written and informative article on Dreams, Death and Spirituality and was fascinated to read about dreams or encounters with deceased relatives and 'going on a journey' with them as precursors to death.

But it did get me wondering. Over on several of our Dreams threads on this very forum we have details of dreams of deceased relatives. We've even got a dedicated thread. I have dreamed, several times, of going on train journeys with my (deceased) parents, and have been over a few years. I hate to tempt fate but - I'm not dead yet.

I wondered if anyone had done a correlating study checking frequency, clarity and content of dreams of 'those who have gone before' between the dying (or terminally ill) and those who are still hale and hearty? While I have experience of my own mother's dying visions of relatives who were already deceased being actually in the room with her, since she was drifting in and out of consciousness these are almost indistinguishable from dreams or dream-like experiences., so I would like to see some sort of companion study done of people who either dream of or have other experiences of the deceased and then don't go on to die.

My copy arrived today.

Just pulled a random copy of FT off the stack to read. As you do. I have come to the Kepler/Music of the Spheres article on page 56. The photo at the top of the page reproduces the original late-mediaeval notation of the leitmotifs of various planets. I have only a Janet And John level understanding of how to read music.

But the musical motif for Terra has five notes in an ascending and descending sequence. (presuming Kepler's nototation follows the same principles as today's...)

Five musical notes.

Denoting the Planet Earth.

Surely not....

I am very late to the party, but I tend to read my FT's out of order in a kind of 'binge read' when I have time to sit down and savour them, rather than try to read piecemeal as they arrive. So I've got a backlog which I started working my way through during a recent holiday. Now I've got to 398. I was reading the very sensitively written and informative article on Dreams, Death and Spirituality and was fascinated to read about dreams or encounters with deceased relatives and 'going on a journey' with them as precursors to death.

But it did get me wondering. Over on several of our Dreams threads on this very forum we have details of dreams of deceased relatives. We've even got a dedicated thread. I have dreamed, several times, of going on train journeys with my (deceased) parents, and have been over a few years. I hate to tempt fate but - I'm not dead yet.

I wondered if anyone had done a correlating study checking frequency, clarity and content of dreams of 'those who have gone before' between the dying (or terminally ill) and those who are still hale and hearty? While I have experience of my own mother's dying visions of relatives who were already deceased being actually in the room with her, since she was drifting in and out of consciousness these are almost indistinguishable from dreams or dream-like experiences., so I would like to see some sort of companion study done of people who either dream of or have other experiences of the deceased and then don't go on to die.
There are certainly stories of NDEs which feature meetings with dead people, where the person in mortal danger refuses to die or is sent back by someone who is already dead. We have them on this very board. :)
Well, I posted one.

A relation was taken seriously ill and had the bright light/vision of deceased loved one experience. She 'saw' a man whose appearance, it seems, matched that of her husband's cousin although Relation couldn't see him closely.
She told him 'I can't go with you!' and he was gone.

Unknown to both Relation and Husband, Husband's cousin had died very shortly before in the same hospital.
They didn't know about this until Relation was recovering from her emergency operation and had already told Husband about the vision.

Was the deceased cousin popping in to see how Relation was, or if she fancied wandering off into the Beyond with him?
Or perhaps it was a dream.

Back