• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT399

Are you speaking in tongues, possessed by Beelzebub, or operating as part of a volunteer viral marketing campaign for a particularly-perspicacious periodical?

Having not been present for quite some time at Truder Towers (nor indeed either these virtual hallowed halls herewithin) I shall consider myself forewarned of a devilishly-good delivery by my postal-person (unless they've gone and eaten the damn thing, again).

Are you speaking in tongues, possessed by Beelzebub, or operating as part of a volunteer viral marketing campaign for a particularly-perspicacious periodical?

Having not been present for quite some time at Truder Towers (nor indeed either these virtual hallowed halls herewithin) I shall consider myself forewarned of a devilishly-good delivery by my postal-person (unless they've gone and eaten the damn thing, again).
Does your postie often eat FT?

Does your postie often eat FT?
Well, nibbles, it would appear, more often than actually eats.

(But sometimes, yes, I suspect my posties do consume the magazine. I don't mean that I've actually seen traces of it in their droppings, or it being used to line their nests, but I would like to do an experiment with the magazine being sent for a change under 'plain cover', and see if my batting average improves....honestly, they just rove all over the place, early & loudly in huge seemingly-organised packs, with their dusty red vans, and inappropriately-bare legs...whistling)

Some may see my circumstantial conjecture as being disproptionate and paranoid, but I just ask them to watch their step around my tensioned capture-nets and the lava moat.

Interesting FT this time around, lots of observations.

Is Rob Gandy a member here? The thing about the robed and cowled KKK-ish apparitions in Aintree brought back a very vague memory from decades ago. It was seeing the word "Altcar" in print that jogged things.

As Army Cadets in Manchester, several times a year we'd be trucked off to one of the two nearest suitable military bases for in-depth training in military skills. if it wasn't Leek Camp in Staffordshire, it would be the Altcar Training Area up on the Lancashire coast, nearby to Southport and Formby. Usually in spring there'd be a long week at Altcar. If you can imagine a couple of hundred Army Cadets living in relative isolation from the rest of the world , in an unfamiliar place away from the usual support systems of home and family , that's the ideal environment for the tall story and rumour machine to flourish. Scary stories and FOAF-tales circulating in the barracks out of hours. Maybe that was a formative fortean experience for me: hearing and appreciating the tales, but not feeling as if I had to buy into them or believe them.

Anyway, one I heard quite a few times concerned the scary evil Satanic monks in long white robes who were seen to walk the fields "nearby" carrying burning crosses of fire... that's why it wasn't safe to go out at night as they'd rip your heart out and sacrifice it to the Devil....

If RG wants to use that he's welcome, although I'm not sure if it's anything more than tangentially relevant (never saw or experienced this even on night training sessions, nor did anyone else): so the tales circulating were either coincidence, or somebody who somehow tuned into local West Lancashire folklore. (As I recall Altcar Camp had locally resident permanent staff who'd probably know the story, and might have taken skewed glee in scaring visiting cadets with it). Aintree is maybe eight miles away from Hightown/Altcar/Formby?

Also... you have a military base nearby. Bored squaddies. Wondering if there are any uniform items in the British Army inventory that could have been used for a hoax or a prank on the locals. I knw in late WW2 and Korea, loose baggy winter cam was issued, snow-suits in white. Although - long pointy hoods are stretching it a little.

And... Love 22. I'm impressed; apart from one obscure sideways reference, the real arc number is conspicuous by its absence throughout. But as Robert Anton Wilson said, this too is clinching proof that the hidden 23 governs all human experience.

I wouldn't like to read a whole book by someone pretending to be a cat. And the Liverpudlian KKK sounded like a hoax from beginning to end. But I really liked the sirens article, used to hear sirens regularly when I was little.

The two IHTO dreams that were of future events were the highlights for me.
The excellent review of Equus has tempted me to buy the new release too.

AgProv: Don't know if Rob is on the board, but how about writing up your youthful experience as a letter for FT?

Thanks! i'll get cracking on that.

AgProv: Don't know if Rob is on the board, but how about writing up your youthful experience as a letter for FT?
Hi Dr DS

posting submitted to Mr Sieveking at FT. Sorry it took so long after your initial post - done a lot of 10 hour days at work and these rather kill the urge to do lesiure/interest stuff on the PC at home - aware it's probably too late for FT400, unfortunately....

I really enjoyed reading David V Barrett's review of the BFI Blu-ray release of Sidney Lumet's 1977 film Equus, what really caught my attention was the mention of the extras on the disc. Also mentioned in the review, The Flipside of Dominick Hide, which I had never heard of, even as a fan of Play for Today. And the ''very odd'' 1969 BFI short film The Watchers, I watched half of this film yesterday and it is a brilliant piece of British forteana, the atmosphere and story are both perfect, very creepy to a fortean viewer... What a brilliant discovery!

I really enjoyed reading David V Barrett's review of the BFI Blu-ray release of Sidney Lumet's 1977 film Equus, what really caught my attention was the mention of the extras on the disc. Also mentioned in the review, The Flipside of Dominick Hide, which I had never heard of, even as a fan of Play for Today. And the ''very odd'' 1969 BFI short film The Watchers, I watched half of this film yesterday and it is a brilliant piece of British forteana, the atmosphere and story are both perfect, very creepy to a fortean viewer... What a brilliant discovery!
There’s also a sequel to Dominick called Another Flip for Dominick

There’s also a sequel to Dominick called Another Flip for Dominick

Thanks for that! I actually bought the DVD the other night off eBay and at the time didn't even notice the sequel titles in red under the main titles on the DVD cover! Looking forward to watching these.

Hi Dr DS

posting submitted to Mr Sieveking at FT. Sorry it took so long after your initial post - done a lot of 10 hour days at work and these rather kill the urge to do lesiure/interest stuff on the PC at home - aware it's probably too late for FT400, unfortunately....

Well, an edited version of my posting here made it into print in FT402, which is distinctly chuffing. (with subtly misleading address details - still correct, but a couple of lines were omitted - which is all for the good.) It feels more permanent in print somehow, more substantial than an online posting... thanking you kindly, DS.

Well, an edited version of my posting here made it into print in FT402, which is distinctly chuffing. (with subtly misleading address details - still correct, but a couple of lines were omitted - which is all for the good.) It feels more permanent in print somehow, more substantial than an online posting... thanking you kindly, DS.
I read it today with a sense of Deja Vu and actually looked at 401 to see if the same letter had been printed twice.

My copy arrived today.

I wouldn't like to read a whole book by someone pretending to be a cat. And the Liverpudlian KKK sounded like a hoax from beginning to end. But I really liked the sirens article, used to hear sirens regularly when I was little.
I was disappointed he didn't mention the Silent Hill siren since it perfectly represents his claim that sirens bring us from one reality to another. In Silent Hill the sirens literally transport you to another (more nightmarish) world.
The use of the Purge sirens in real life was good to hear. Very funny.

Back