• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT401

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Just picked one up in Tesco. Haven't looked at it yet but I wanted to start a thread.

The Ruskington Horror
British Female Spiritualist Artists
Arthurian Phantoms of Cadbury Castle.
James Randi Obit

It hasn’t dropped through the letterbox yet but I can view it on the App.

Just arrived! (theory: a lot of people complain about late arrival of the subscription mag: ever since taking out my sub in April or May I find I get the opposite, it always gets here quickly and I seem to be one of the first. Other subscribers appear to be kept waiting for ages. I'm wondering. is the subscriber list organized alphabetically by surname and they send them out in batches? My name is almost at the top of the list if organised A-Z. Anyone with a surname lower down the alphabet might experience the opposite...)

Anyway. The short about the roomful of parrots in zoo quarantine who taught each other to swear and are egging each other on. There's a theory that says talking birds preferentially swear - or pick up other snippets of human speech- at times when a nearby human they are habituated to gets into a state of high emotion - the conscious filters and "censors" go and somebody swears as a relief of feelings. The parrot picks this up as if it were an interesting animal cry in the jungle from just another jungle animal, then repeats it. It's picking up on the emotion involved with the interesting sound. You never get a parrot repeating, for instance, words or extracts from a lecture in economic theory, always assuming one were to attend the class.

My idle mind thinks. Could we test this out - that parrots pick up human speech if it's associated with pitched naked emotion rather than any sort of intellectual activity? (Play a recording of a highly emotive political rally, attended by tens of thousands to hear a demagogic speaker, in a roomful of parrots? Rule of cautious editing judgement - very nearly provided examples of That Sort of Thing, but thought better of it, I'm sure we can all fill in the blanks with demagogues of preference). would the parrot then start quoting The Leader? And would this be more objectionable than mere swearing?

Grrrr. Here in the States I don't think I got anything past 397!

mine came in today's post will crack it open once I've finished the recent issue of Scream! I'm about 3 months into subscription I'm very happy with it no problems with delivery

The plague of urban wild pigs in Haifa, Israel, of all places. I took a look at the map.... Haifa is on the coast, perhaps 30km west of the two likeliest locations for the biblical place called Gadera. (Incidentally, Nazereth is dead central between the two). The Gaderene Swine making a comeback? ("It's okay, that Jesus bloke is nowhere near, hasn't been seen round here in ages, we're safe, let's go on tour"). You can't help but think Biblically here...

Got mine yesterday, the pic of Richard and Judy got my attention straight away! :D Looks like a great issue, we've had a good run recently in my book!

The frozen chicken ghost article was fun! Although that looks like someone's foot in the family swimming photograph.

Just shot off an email to David Sutton regarding the Ghostwatch article by Alan Murdie. Two page article about 4 Millwall fans (yes, I know) camped out on Cadbury Castle, eating magic mushrooms and having weird shared visions. All good fun but he gets the date of the match they had been to wrong! Funny how one small mistake spoils the validity of the whole story.

Man, that Conspirasphere column was badly timed...

Just shot off an email to David Sutton regarding the Ghostwatch article by Alan Murdie. Two page article about 4 Millwall fans (yes, I know) camped out on Cadbury Castle, eating magic mushrooms and having weird shared visions. All good fun but he gets the date of the match they had been to wrong! Funny how one small mistake spoils the validity of the whole story.
The 29th is obviously a typo. Millwall beat Plymouth away on the 9th August in a League cup game.

Random choice of archived mag. I got to the article about the unexpected anatomical discovery of two hitherto undetected salivary glands and this raised questions. The human body is probably one of the most "mapped" anatomies there is. At least two millenia of medicine, observation, dissection and study all over the world. In the history of human biology and medicine, how many human bodies have been dissected in detail? Hundreds of thousands, at a low guess? And this set of glands is only discovered now in 2021?

Two questions. One(and I'm only speculating from a lay position here). For whatever reason, is this a recent evolutionary development, and they simply were not there a generation or two ago? (Again, if any passing evolutionary scientists want to say "this is bollocks, evolution doesn't work like that" then I won't take offence).

Two: could this be one of those things where most people do not have this, like for instance webbed fingers or toes, or the ability/extra muscle needed to make ears wiggle? How many people have been checked for this? The article says 100 people were checked and all had this: but do those people share genetic material? If not related, were they all from the same region of the Netherlands where there might be a shared genetic thing in the wider population which isn't replicated elsewhere? Have any similar studies been done worldwide?

Random choice of archived mag. I got to the article about the unexpected anatomical discovery of two hitherto undetected salivary glands and this raised questions. The human body is probably one of the most "mapped" anatomies there is. At least two millenia of medicine, observation, dissection and study all over the world. In the history of human biology and medicine, how many human bodies have been dissected in detail? Hundreds of thousands, at a low guess? And this set of glands is only discovered now in 2021?

Two questions. One(and I'm only speculating from a lay position here). For whatever reason, is this a recent evolutionary development, and they simply were not there a generation or two ago? (Again, if any passing evolutionary scientists want to say "this is bollocks, evolution doesn't work like that" then I won't take offence).

Two: could this be one of those things where most people do not have this, like for instance webbed fingers or toes, or the ability/extra muscle needed to make ears wiggle? How many people have been checked for this? The article says 100 people were checked and all had this: but do those people share genetic material? If not related, were they all from the same region of the Netherlands where there might be a shared genetic thing in the wider population which isn't replicated elsewhere? Have any similar studies been done worldwide?
Even bigger from 2018 is the interstitium, an under the skin organ. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/meet-your-interstitium-a-newfound-organ/

Back