• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT407

Mine just dropped through the letterbox.

We used to get our post early, now it’s extremely late in the day…my 407 has just dropped through the letterbox. Flicking through it looks like a good article on theatre ghosts which is something that has always interested me.

Mine arrived earlier...looking forward to a Sunday morning in bed with the FT. It's almost what my parents ever wanted!

Rue Morgue girl is back, then, on the back cover. I missed her! Actually, I discovered she isn't a gothic model they hired to be the face of the magazine; she's actually the editor. Andrea Subissati. Interesting and very talented lady!

https://rue-morgue.com/the-faculty-...-new-episode-on-trollhunter-and-willow-creek/

First thoughts on the magazine; Strange Deaths, the lad who died because his trainers were too big. That's unfortunate. But I remember a time when thrifty parents would habitually buy footwear that was a size or two too large for the child. The reasoning being that "they will grow into them" and it covered them for at least a year; the nightmare would be shelling out £20 or more for shoes that fitted correctly in June, only to discover the child then had a growth spurt and those expensive shoes were too small in August - with no younger sibling to hand them down to. This sort of thing was commonplace in the bit of the North-West where I grew up in the seventies - a classroom full of kids in overlarge footwear often with multiple pairs of socks on to get them to fit! Not surprised it's still happening now - some things are universal. Surprised the newspaper that reported this was not aware of a possible "why". Maybe the journalist didn't have kids...

Last edited:
My copy has what appears to be claw marks on some pages, a product of the printing process or something more sinister?

Got mine today, was interested by the cover straight away, what with me being Romanichal and all (my family were of the New Forest Roma who would sleep in tents called Benders, which is basically hazel branches bent over and a cover of some sort thrown over the top. There are some Augustus John paintings floating around of my family from his era, I'm sure John was even given a sort of honorary gypsy title of some sort or another.

So looking forward to reading the article! Romani culture is so heavily infused with familial tales of really explicit forteana. One thing I'm reminded of is my post/FT letter(?) regarding a robin landing on the head of two relatives days before they both died (happening years apart) but even as a veteran member I think the story (which is very personal to me, sharing it here when only a few family members and my wife know about it) was given the usual pooh-poohed replies, I think that was actually one of the only occasions that rynner stuck up for me!

Just started reading it and there's a nice example of the bender I mentioned above in an 1879 illustration (page 32), lovely painting on the follwing page too!

I’m not seeing any ‘It happened to me’ have they dropped it again or have I missed it?

Does the tiger head on the wall in Phenomenomix have a swordfish head in its mouth?

I’m not seeing any ‘It happened to me’ have they dropped it again or have I missed it?
Maybe it just hasn't happened to you?
I've not got that far yet but if I get to the end and don't notice an IHTM then I'll assume it hasn't happened to me either!

Ive lived im and around Hampshire all my life and i have heard and used the term 'bender' as a form a temporary 'bivouac' shelter.

I learned that term from an old Hellblazer comic many years ago where one of the characters (IIRC) used it in the "tent" meaning and someone else said that they thought the word meant "a prolonged drinking session or a gentleman of homosexual proclivities".

Amazing how dialogue from comics/ films etc can stick in the memory much more effectively than more important stuff!

Last edited:
#407 is the first issue of FT I've ever bought as a Kindle download rather than the paper-and-glue version, and I'm really enjoying it!

Its much easier to read on my tablet than I expected, and I love the "double-click to read a text-only version" feature, or whatever the proper name for it is.

I think I'll be reading FT this way much more often now.!

Edir: its not a text-only version, just clearer text in the usual Kindle typeface. Still love it though.

Really looking forward to part 2 of the Loch Morar article.

Last edited:
Nice to see Nigel Watson getting down with the high strangeness already in the UFO column.

Maybe your postie is a werewolf :oops:

On a Zoom call yesterday, one of my colleagues was discussing a forthcoming IT project, only to be interrupted by some ferocious woofing and howls. She apologised and, before going on mute, explained that the postman had just arrived. She didn't say whether she owned a dog or not though....

I’ve found it. It was hidden as they pages weren’t cut properly.

Attachments

• 160CE1CF-1805-48A1-BD47-3163A0A1BAB1.jpeg
    160CE1CF-1805-48A1-BD47-3163A0A1BAB1.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 25
Still haven't received my issue, which, according to email I received June 26th, it was sent out 1 1/2 months ago.

Back