• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT408

Space Liberace!

Grimsby time slip!

Tintagel sea serpent!

maximus otter

Bah! Post came early today but still over an hour later than Max's.
Looks to be a good issue. Page 9 has the Malian nonuplets, though no update on their progress beyond the original reports.

what does the theme from Close Encounters sound like on the piano? Now we know - they needed a keyboards man for the gig.

Hitler's lav seat. Given the well-documented bowel problems and the fact Doctor Morell was handing out diuretics, laxatives and so forth by the bucketload, Cleaning THAT khazi must have been a punishment fatigue for whichever SS guardsman had transgressed.

"Soldier! I award you either one month in a military prison, or fourteen days on cleaning the Fuhrer's personal toilet. Choose."
"Please, Herr Standartenfuhrer! I beg you! Can I not be posted to the Eastern Front instead?"
"Nein! Toilet cleaning it is. But we are not cruel, soldier. You will not be required to use your toothbrush. You are no longer a recruit."

The book review on Hawkwind. Hawkwind; Days of the Underground, by Joe Banks. I'd like to read this. I know the focal point has to be Hawkwind, but I wonder if some of the other bands they influenced and shaped are mentioned? Michael Moorcock, for instance, left the band to try his luck in the USA and took a few songs with him that were originally meant for Hawkwind - he discovered the Blue Öyster Cult paid better and more reliably and his input got this band a vibe of "American Hawkwind". BÖC did some truly Fortean stuff with or without Moorcock - but live stuff released about this time screams a Hawkwind influence at you.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab...AAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

Thoroughly enjoyed the Space Liberace article, it's good to have some outright daftness in the mag like this.

The Morag article was weirdly nostalgic for an almost bygone age of monster searching. Just sit by the loch all day, maybe something will happen, but probably not. Bit like angling.

When I was a kid the whole Loch Morar thing used tof ream me out - more so than Loch Ness (Cant quite remember why) - now the idea of hanging out by a loch waiting for a monster which probably will never appear kind of cosy in a slightly spooky way.

In the Ghostly Bailiffs piece a book is mentioend, "Geoffrey de Mandeville and London's Camelot" by Jennie Lee Cobban. Anyone got a copy they might part with? I can't find any online and thought to ask the author herself but she's not been active on Twitter or Facebook since last year...

I DID see that site, but I have no idea how legit it is....You ever used them?
No I haven't sorry, it looks to be affiliated to a museum though. Just had a quick Google and cant see anything saying it's not legit, I suppose it depends on whether you feel you can risk £12

No I haven't sorry, it looks to be affiliated to a museum though. Just had a quick Google and cant see anything saying it's not legit, I suppose it depends on whether you feel you can risk £12
Or whether I'm happy to spend that much on a book I know very little about. I AM a Scotsman after all. :rollingw:

Back